Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree73Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-01-2022, 18:04   #46
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Up to 70million investment for Accrington Town centre.

quite a few eat in eating places not pubs, i know cos i have a mate comes up from north wales with others to the games, and they tell me.
Old 21-01-2022, 18:16   #47
Beacon of light

Ok, but would they come for anything else in the town?
And I feel sure the answer will be NO…..are any of these proposed developments going to change their minds?
Perhaps the Park and Ride proposal…..no, unless there is a move to ensure viable, desired retailers can be enticed into town….there is nothing worth parking and riding to.
And you did not address the off season…or the away day games…it is all too little.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2022, 18:22   #48
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Ok, but would they come for anything else in the town?
And I feel sure the answer will be NO…..are any of these proposed developments going to change their minds?
Perhaps the Park and Ride proposal…..no, unless there is a move to ensure viable, desired retailers can be enticed into town….there is nothing worth parking and riding to.
And you did not address the off season…or the away day games…it is all too little.
yeh they would they were accrington lads with family in town in fact my mates dad lived on Livingstone Rd. it may be little but it sure helps,
Old 21-01-2022, 18:47   #49
Beacon of light

Yes..it is little Cashy.
Old 21-01-2022, 20:10   #50

How can anyone afford to shop in the catering establishments, if there's no jobs around???

As I mentioned earlier, the money should be spent on education and making Accrington somewhere to work. Without employment there's no hope for any catering/lesuire businesses.

You can't keep throwing money at a failing building, tonight there's kids going hungry and its not Africa it's on our doorstep in Accrington. £70 million could gét the town out of poverty, if spent wisely. You can bet the suits already have earmarked their bit, so thats now only £50 million left in the pot.
odders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2022, 22:09   #51
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

The £70,000,000 would have to be spent very wisely indeed if it was to relieve the town of poverty.
There are approx 36,000 souls here so it works out at £1,944 each, hardly enough to have one bloody good party.
However if we club together we could build a hell of a good escape room and while we are in there supposedly solving inane puzzles we could be digging a tunnel through to Yorkshire and freedom!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2022, 08:33   #52
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
we could be digging a tunnel through to Yorkshire and freedom!

Out of the frying pan & into the low flame smallest ring singeing.
Old 22-01-2022, 09:06   #53

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;1262787]I think that is one of the only reasons why people come to the town.
But this does not benefit the town centre or the shops.

It certainly benefits the "Peel Park Hotel" when Stanley are playing at home, I sometimes lose my favourite seat next to the bar.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2022, 09:13   #54
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Disagree the centre pubs and dining places do well.
would do even better if the wham was closer to the town like bradford and halifax ones are. as for the town centre and any town centre come to that its the residents of that town that have caused it some way by a change in shopping habits especially in the last two years. its difficult and i,d say nearly impossible to exit our small estate without passing some home delivary van from 7 am onwards. a case of use it or lose it. people seem to have decided that they prefer to lose whats left with their actions. must admit we are in that catogary now as most stuff is bought on line just to avoid muzzle wearing and its become habit forming.
taddy likes this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2022, 15:18   #55
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
must admit we are in that catogary now as most stuff is bought on line just to avoid muzzle wearing and its become habit forming.

Do you get Tezzies? And if so, is your driver a biggish bloke with a badger beard & sticky out lugs, goes by the name of "Mick"?
Old 26-01-2022, 15:26   #56
Beacon of light

I only buy online what is not available to buy in the town.
I have never had an online shop at any of the supermarkets.
I prefer to choose my own apples, cabbage and tomatoes…….so while things were at their worst we went out early doors to get our grub.
Bacon sausages and cooked meat we buy from Greg on his market stall.
cashman likes this.
Old 26-01-2022, 16:29   #57
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
I only buy online what is not available to buy in the town.
I have never had an online shop at any of the supermarkets.
I prefer to choose my own apples, cabbage and tomatoes…….so while things were at their worst we went out early doors to get our grub.
Bacon sausages and cooked meat we buy from Greg on his market stall.

I’m becoming lazy (or maybe infirm) I find online everything to be better than having to be served by someone that doesn’t want to be there and is allowed by management to pass those feelings on to the customer.
monkey hanger likes this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2022, 16:42   #58
Beacon of light

In Aldi you serve yourself….and I have known Greg since he was a boy…..so I get very good service….and as it is his own business he makes sure his customers are happy.
That is why when you go on Market days there is a queue.
Many of his customers he knows by name….it is the old fashioned sort of service that is very rare.
cashman likes this.
Old 27-01-2022, 08:31   #59
God Member

Quote:
In Aldi you serve yourself….and I have known Greg since he was a boy…..so I get very good service….and as it is his own business he makes sure his customers are happy.
That is why when you go on Market days there is a queue.
Many of his customers he knows by name….it is the old fashioned sort of service that is very rare.
your last sentance really nails the problem plus the past where market stall holders did not help themselves by their prices, fresh produce they sold and there attitudes.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2022, 08:49   #60

[QUOTE=DaveinGermany;1263027]Do you get Tezzies? And if so, is your driver a biggish bloke with a badger beard & sticky out lugs, goes by the name of "Mick"? :rolleyes
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..