Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2022, 15:27   #16
Beacon of light

Re: Starmer and raynor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
For some reason I'm not getting messages on my email informing me of responses to messages I post here. Which is why I've not replied Margaret et al.

When Boris Johnson was mayor of London he apparently had sex with a blonde American ex pole dancer, turned business woman - for giving her special access to business meetings, for her I.T. business.

On the matter of cannabis I don't smoke it or tobacco for that matter.
I actually think that what Boris did in his private life back then is none of my business. (If the female in question profited by this and nothing was done then that is something that should have been addressed back then)

He was a better Mayor than the current incumbent…in whose watch there has been a burgeoning of black on black gang warfare with multiple stabbings, leading to deaths of young men…a tribal culture prevails and no effective response has been employed.

But then what can you expect from a left wing liberal Mayor?
Not tough on crime or the causes of crime.

That you no longer use weed is a good thing, (if it is true)but the damage is already done.
DaveinGermany likes this.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 10-09-2022 at 15:29.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-09-2022, 14:10   #17
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post

This chap used to be on here a lot more and had some very strange ideas about legalising weed…
However. Despite strange out of the box ideas and odd opinions. We have come a long way in recognising the health benefits of CBD. He was on point with some of the stuff he was saying - but the presentation of knowledge was somewhat lacking
Old 19-09-2022, 15:07   #18
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
We have come a long way in recognising the health benefits of CBD.
Indeed we have Rob, but Kes wasn't exacty extolling the wonders & value of medicinal CBD, he was more along the lines of it should be decriminalized so he & others who had a leaning towards "Spliffing up" could carry out their hearts desire where-ever & whenever they pleased without getting their collars felt by Plod.

That being said though, Plodmeister is far to busy turning over motorists or going round peoples houses to give them a severe talking to & reading folk the riot act for having the termerity & audacity to use "Hurty words" on-line.
Old 19-09-2022, 18:41   #19
Beacon of light

Yes Rob…we have come quite a way. I don’t think he was ‘on point’ either.

All he could see was that it should be legalised so that anyone could use it as a recreational drug…he did not believe or accept that it had the potential to cause mental health issues….or at least that is my recollection of the posts from back then.

And medicinal CBD is a different thing altogether….none of the psychoactive properties of the Weed that Kestrel promoted.
None of the THC that created the highs that users of weed experienced.
Old 21-09-2022, 08:40   #20
Senior Member+

Quote:
Yes Rob…we have come quite a way. I don’t think he was ‘on point’ either.

All he could see was that it should be legalised so that anyone could use it as a recreational drug…he did not believe or accept that it had the potential to cause mental health issues….or at least that is my recollection of the posts from back then.

And medicinal CBD is a different thing altogether….none of the psychoactive properties of the Weed that Kestrel promoted.
None of the THC that created the highs that users of weed experienced.
There is a fine line between mental health and drugs. I don't think there is conclusive evidence to suggest that is true. Those I have known that has mental health issues that was also a drug user (not just weed in some cases) including myself had some underlying issues to begin with.

However, I have to wonder just how much damage to minds has been done by smoking the resin form of cannabis (hashish) That has been found to contain all kinds of crap, Plastic, rubber, beeswax, faeces .... Now that is a different story altogether. Nothing good can come from smoking plastic.

"On point" maybe not the best combination of words to describe the arguments put forward but Cannabis has been demonised by the media, yet alcohol is legal which is in many cases still causes major problems.

Also, the guy was under personal attack at the time by a forum member bringing up things that didn't need to be brought up.
Old 21-09-2022, 13:48   #21
Beacon of light

I think there is a definite correlation between the use of cannabis and a variety of mental health issues.
It maybe that those mental health issues would have surfaced at some point and that cannabis was a trigger that brought it on early.

There is a family in our street and all of them are users of ‘weed’….is it pure coincidence that they are the ones visited by the police on a regular basis because of ‘domestic disturbances’?

I am not sure either if the media demonise cannabis, but I agree that alcohol causes misery too.
Old 21-09-2022, 16:24   #22
Beacon of light

A research paper in the Royal College of Psychiatrists journal, which was published August 2022 cites that young people using Cannabis as a recreational drug were more likely to suffer from psychosis and depression.
This is not anecdotal evidence, but is research based.

There is a plethora of research that implies that the use of Cannabis is harmful and has adverse effects on Mental health and cognitive function….and the earlier a person starts using this, the more harmful it is.
DaveinGermany and taddy like this.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 21-09-2022 at 16:30.
Old 22-09-2022, 12:20   #23
Senior Member+

Quote:

There is a family in our street and all of them are users of ‘weed’….is it pure coincidence that they are the ones visited by the police on a regular basis because of ‘domestic disturbances’?
Possibly a coincidence. Not knowing anything else about them makes it impossible to comment on that. But possible there is other aspects about them aside that produces such behaviour. Cannabis generally does not produce such behaviour in people. However, some are just wired wrong either way.

I do wonder if it can amplify a negative personality......

Quote:

I am not sure either if the media demonise cannabis, but I agree that alcohol causes misery too.
In America yes. But i was talking back when the original discussion took place

Quote:
A research paper in the Royal College of Psychiatrists journal, which was published August 2022 cites that young people using Cannabis as a recreational drug were more likely to suffer from psychosis and depression.
This is not anecdotal evidence, but is research based.

There is a plethora of research that implies that the use of Cannabis is harmful and has adverse effects on Mental health and cognitive function….and the earlier a person starts using this, the more harmful it is.
Young people should not be putting anything into their bodies that change their frame of mind as they are still growing and nurturing as a human being. I am a strong believer in this now. Once upon a time i may've had a YOLO viewpoint but the fact is YOLO
and if i could go back and change things, i would've never taken any drug, especially Alcohol.

Last edited by Restless; 22-09-2022 at 12:23.
Restless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2022, 15:58   #24
Beacon of light

Rob, there are some people who are prone to addictions….they can be addicted to absolutely anything…whether that be food, drugs or activities.
We all choose our own poison.
Whatever we choose we have to live with the consequences of our choices.
And yes you do only live once, and when we are young I think there is an element of the belief that we are immortal.
So, when you are young(and maybe just a bit foolish) you do things which you later realise have changed your life.
That may sound deep and philosophical….but our experiences (both good and bad)
make us the people we are.

Alcohol is legal, but that does not mean that it is good…or for that matter safe.
But we have research evidence which clearly proves that weed is damaging to mental health…to cognitive function.

The use of recreational drugs is the young persons pursuit of a physical ‘high’.
And without realising this, it may lead on to the use of other equally damaging substances….looking for a bigger, or better ‘buzz’.
Old 22-09-2022, 16:06   #25
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
Possibly a coincidence. Not knowing anything else about them makes it impossible to comment on that. But possible there is other aspects about them aside that produces such behaviour. Cannabis generally does not produce such behaviour in people. However, some are just wired wrong either way.
The father in the family has been a user of weed for a long time….but the sons grew up watching the erratic behaviour….they also took to using….and supplying the stuff.
This has led to numerous unhappy events….the development of psychosis in a member of this family.
These are recognised consequences of the use of weed.
So I doubt that any of this is coincidental.
And the comment that cannabis generally does not produce this behaviour in people is questionable.
taddy likes this.
Old 25-09-2022, 01:12   #26

On the subject of drugs, I don’t know much about them, legal, recreational, or any other sort, but in my opinion anyone who chooses to use drugs that mess with their brain and might cause them to hallucinate must be bonkers to start with. I don’t know if illegal drugs cause the same sort of hallucination that a bad reaction to a legal drug can cause, but if they do then I can understand users that are hallucinating being blown out of their minds and anything could (and probably does) happen, they will be out of control. What I can’t understand is why anyone would want such an experience, or risk it happening.

I speak from experience regarding hallucinating due to a bad reaction to a legal drug. Two years ago I had a major operation and was given drugs in the hospital to help my recovery. I had a very bad reaction to one. This made me hallucinate and it is something I do not ever want to go through again. It was a very scary experience. I was given this drug for medical reasons (I wasn’t given any more of it after that reaction of course) but anyone who would willingly risk the possible consequences of using drugs hoping to get some sort of ‘buzz’ in my opinion must be out of their mind – or soon will be.
Margaret Pilkington and taddy like this.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..