Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree103Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2022, 17:31   #46

Re: Allotment.

In 2016 I planted Two apple trees, two pear trees and two plumb trees, on my allotment, up until now I have managed to pick maybe a couple of dozen apples, no pears and no plumbs. last Sunday I picked over seven pounds of Damsons, (plumbs) for the first time which Mrs Taddy wanted in order to make Damson jam which was no problem until I had spend over an hour with a de-stoning implement in order to remove the stones before the said Mrs Taddy could convert them into the bottles of jam, i.e. Strawberry, Damson, Blackcurrant etc. I have never been and am not a G-d Botherer but by G-d am I glad that I met her.
DaveinGermany and Stevie R like this.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-09-2022, 09:19   #47

This is possibly the last post on the allotment this year, a "Worcestershire Pearmain" apple tree that was on the allotment when I took it over six years ago has produced a bumper crop this year, i have picked thirty five pounds of fruit which filled four carrier bags, I have given one bag to friends and relatives and Mrs Taddy said that she will use the rest to make and freeze pies and crumbles etc but the thought of the two of us peeling and coring a couple of hundred apples had me dreading the deed.
After looking online, I spotted a "Rotato Express" an electrical gadget that peels all manner of fruit and veg, so as well as the pies and crumbles, Hazel is slicing and freezing or slicing and drying the said hundreds of apples; all we need now is a warehouse to store them in. Your's a happily married Luddite but reasonable gardener.
Taddy.
shillelagh likes this.
Old 28-09-2022, 10:14   #48

As a postscript to my so-called last allotment post this year, I thought that for anyone that is interested I would puff my chest out a Little and list the produce that the said allotment has produced this year.

Plum Tomatoes=3lbs, Green Beans=5lbs, Onions=160, Cucumbers=12, Potatoes=50lbs,
Strawberries= 29lbs, Blackcurrants= 5lbs, Raspberries= 2lbs, Rhubarb= 100 plus stalks, Apples 35lbs
Yours a happy, if sometimes exhausted Chappy, what is the health service guideline? eat your five a day!

Last edited by taddy; 28-09-2022 at 10:18.
Old 28-09-2022, 10:50   #49
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

to be honest all we have done on our allotment is relax when its been nice enough, we have an apple tree on ours it gives loads of apples every year.
Old 28-09-2022, 10:54   #50
Beacon of light

Well Done Taddy……look forward to more growing when the season begins next year.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2022, 14:28   #51
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post
Mrs Taddy said that she will use the rest to make and freeze pies and crumbles etc but the thought of the two of us peeling and coring a couple of hundred apples had me dreading the deed.

No, no, no, a simple home made press, big tub & some canister, bit of yeast & away you go! Home made Scrumpy!
Margaret Pilkington and taddy like this.
Old 28-09-2022, 18:17   #52
Beacon of light

Ooh yes!
I have only had scrumpy once…..it was like rocket fuel…very potent.
I felt like I was plaiting my legs off a pint of that stuff.
DaveinGermany and taddy like this.
Old 29-09-2022, 09:38   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
No, no, no, a simple home made press, big tub & some canister, bit of yeast & away you go! Home made Scrumpy!
Dave, your comment took me back to the 1980s when our lad was in the Junior leaders' regiment Royal Armoured Corps. Hazel and I went to his passing out parade at 1 RTRs base at Bovington in Dorset. in the evening I called into a local pub where I noticed that they sold scrumpy.
"Good evening, sir" the landlord cheerily asked, "What can I get you", to which I replied I am normally a real ale bitter drinker but I have always had a hankering to taste a pint of scrumpy, no problem sir he said as he pulled me a pint, I enjoyed it so much that after 15/20 minutes or so my glass was empty and I asked for another pint.
"If you have never tried scrumpy before sir, I would be a little bit careful" the landlord said to which I replied, Oh don't worry about me I have been suppin real ale since I was a teenager, "that's ok he answered.
After finishing my second pint I was in need of the loo but when I attempted to leave the bar stool my legs would not do what my brain was telling them although I could think and speak as normal, "Aye that be the scrumpy sir the landlord offered.
Lesson learned, always respect the local's advice when in a strange land.
DaveinGermany likes this.
Old 29-09-2022, 09:53   #54
Beacon of light

My experience of Scrumpu was in a place called Beer in Devon….and only a pint did it for me.
DaveinGermany likes this.
Old 29-09-2022, 15:43   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
My experience of Scrumpu was in a place called Beer in Devon….and only a pint did it for me.
Me and Hazel have been there a couple of times, we love the place and raw cider by the way is "Scrumpy" not Scrumpu; unless it affected you like a laxative that is.
cashman likes this.
Old 29-09-2022, 17:48   #56
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Aye, there are a few anecdotal tales revolving around "Townies" heading to the great outdoors & thinking they know better than the locals be that about the local brew or other country pursuits.
taddy likes this.
Old 29-09-2022, 20:37   #57
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post
Me and Hazel have been there a couple of times, we love the place and raw cider by the way is "Scrumpy" not Scrumpu; unless it affected you like a laxative that is.
Taddy that was a typo…..if you look on your keyboard the y and the u are next to each other.
I don’t get the ‘laxative’ bit though…you will have to explain it to me.
taddy likes this.
Old 30-09-2022, 08:44   #58

Quote:
Taddy that was a typo…..if you look on your keyboard the y and the u are next to each other.
I don’t get the ‘laxative’ bit though…you will have to explain it to me.

Scrumpu, sounds like scrumpoo, I thought that it would be self-explanatory but then again maybe not, sorry.
Old 30-09-2022, 11:19   #59
Beacon of light

I was reading it as Scrumpyou…..so the poo bit did not occur to me.
To the pure all things are pure.
taddy likes this.
Old 30-09-2022, 16:08   #60
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
To the pure all things are pure.

Well that's me knackered then!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..