Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By dotti34
  • 2 Post By Margaret Pilkington

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2022, 06:35   #1

Word of the Year 2022

In case anyone is interested, the Oxford Dictionary’s word of the year for 2022 is ‘Goblin mode’ which means (and I quote) “a type of behaviour that is unapologetically self-indulgent, lazy, or greedy, typically in a way that rejects social norms or expectations”.

For those of you who don’t know what this is all about (I didn’t) and from what I have found out, it’s apparently being messy, eating junk food like it’s going out of fashion, slopping around the house in any old thing, and so on. Maybe not even worrying about having a shower. I could think of other words to describe this behaviour but they wouldn’t get to be the word of the year. Apparently the lockdowns due to COVID are being blamed for people’s Goblin mode.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-12-2022, 06:39   #2

Re: Word of the Year 2022

On the other hand, here in Australia Macquarie Dictionary has announced its People's Choice Word of the Year for 2022. This is ‘Batchelor’s handbag’ – a phrase used to describe a supermarket roast chicken takeaway in a plastic bag..

As for their word of the year, the Macquarie Dictionary people have chosen ‘teal’ and define the word as "a political candidate who holds generally ideologically moderate views, but who supports strong action regarding environmental and climate action policies, and the prioritising of integrity in politics (so called as many of the candidates use the colour teal in their electoral material)". Phew!

and would you believe it - 'Truth-telling' was selected as the first runner-up for the title. Doesn’t actually go hand-in-hand with the winner.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 06:42   #3
Beacon of light

I have just been reading about this new addition to the OED.
Not sure if it is down to the lockdown E cause I know a few people who have been in this mode for years.
Just glad that I now know what to call it.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 09:07   #4

[QUOTE=dotti34;1269851]On the other hand, here in Australia Macquarie Dictionary has announced its People's Choice Word of the Year for 2022. This is ‘Batchelor’s handbag’ – a phrase used to describe a supermarket roast chicken takeaway in a plastic bag.

Just as an aside to your comments dotti, many years ago, Hazel (Mrs. Taddy) and I had a holiday on the Scottish Island of Mull, one day we crossed the sound of Ulva to the isle of Ulva whose only bit of road is a few hundred yards where the small ferry docks. Walking boots on as we explored the tiny island we came across the mausoleum where "General Macquarie", the first? governor of Australia is interred, just a little useless information for you.
Stay Happy, yours, Taddy.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 16:04   #5

Here in the USA the word of the year is "Gaslighting" with Webster's definition as follows:

A driver of disorientation and mistrust, Gaslighting is “the act or practice of grossly misleading someone especially for one’s own advantage.”

Sounds like politics wherever you are on this planet?

-Joe
MoreJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 16:08   #6
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreJoe View Post
Here in the USA the word of the year is "Gaslighting" with Webster's definition as follows:

A driver of disorientation and mistrust, Gaslighting is “the act or practice of grossly misleading someone especially for one’s own advantage.”

Sounds like politics wherever you are on this planet?

-Joe
Sounds a lot like Meghan and Harry to me.
cashman and dotti34 like this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..