Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree60Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-11-2023, 08:34   #31

Re: Suella Braverman

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;1275508]They are replacing those who voted for Brexit by remainers.

How can David Cameron take up a cabinet position when he is not a currently elected MP?
He was a useless PM and he will be a useless foreign secretary.
Has Rishi got spit for brains?
It is looking like he has a death wish

Good for you Marge, you always say it as it is, please carry on doing so.

Last edited by taddy; 15-11-2023 at 08:38.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-11-2023, 08:38   #32

[QUOTE=accybeme;1275507]F*** Sunak, bring back Boris

I cannot agree with the F*** Sunak but I totally agree with the the rest of the sentence.
Old 16-11-2023, 13:08   #33
Senior Member+

looks like who ever wins the next election it's going to be a slow and determined return to european union. the 2019 referendum which both labour & conservatives said they would honour the result, which ever way the result went, both parties lied, we never got anything like what we voted for, freedom from european court of law, freedom to our boundaries, sunak is a snake his days are numbered
accybeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2023, 13:15   #34
Full Member+

Reform uk
ferret man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2023, 14:56   #35
Beacon of light

So Voting changes nothing. It doesn’t matter who you vote for….because the politicians are serviced by civil servants who do their level best to thwart whatever government wants to do…well, that is unless it fits THEIR agenda.
There is no impartiality in these civil servants….and they are not elected by us.

If these civil servants want us back in the EU , then they will do their level best to see that this is what happens.

The mandarins in Westminster never wanted us to leave anyway because it means they have to do some work.
Had we stayed in the EU then all the civics servants have to do is follow the directives.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2023, 13:23   #36

Watching this play out from a distance (USA) I am reminded of the "Yes Minister" TV series but without the humor and with less that half of the intelligence.

-Joe
Exile on Spencer St and taddy like this.
MoreJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2023, 13:39   #37
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreJoe View Post
Watching this play out from a distance (USA) I am reminded of the "Yes Minister" TV series but without the humor and with less that half of the intelligence.

-Joe
Turns out that show wasn’t a comedy, it was a documentary.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2023, 13:55   #38
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret man View Post
Reform uk
i would love reform to get in but theres more chance of being struck by Lightening.theres more chance of me getting elected,i will not vote at all next time.in fact she has more balls than SUNAK.

Last edited by cashman; 17-11-2023 at 13:58.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2023, 10:09   #39
Beacon of light

Cashy voting for Reform will give Keir Starmer the keys to number ten.
It should not be so but that is the reality of things.
The only way for this not to happen is for them to bring in Proportional Representation, but I fear this would be beyond the scope of many voters understanding.

The other thing that may deter some voters is the need to take photographic ID to the polling station to be able to vote.

This was brought in to deter voter fraud, but it ignores the fact that most voter fraud is carried out on postal votes.

Providing photographic ID puts me off. I know…I know!
If I have the voting notification card with my address on it…then that should be enough.
I have yet to see anyone challenge someone in a burka to reveal their face so that their ID can be checked. That may sound racist, but it isn’t…it is just saying there isn’t a level playing field.
Old 18-11-2023, 11:03   #40
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

am well awhere of that i said as much. but i refuse to vote for SUNAK so i will not vote at all.
Old 18-11-2023, 11:16   #41
Beacon of light

Cashy, I fully understand that.
I said when Sunak was made PM, he was a sneak and a snake…a back stabber who was not to be trusted.
He has proved this to be true.
He is a hollow politician who has given us only sound bites without any action.
We have had enough of these useless politicians who can talk the talk but not walk the walk.

I think I will find it very difficult to put my x against any name that is put forward…but then again this leaves us at risk of a Labour government.
Old 18-11-2023, 15:31   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
am well awhere of that i said as much. but i refuse to vote for SUNAK so i will not vote at all.
Cashy, I presume that you are a similar age to me and just saying that you will not vote goes against all the principles and advise that my parents (and) probably yours as well, taught me, the right of everyone in this fantastic country of ours to be able to put our views known and elect a government that the populace really want. if you do not vote then your views do not not count.
and you do not have the right to criticize other people who take the effort to cast their vote whilst you just sit on your A---, and press a few buttons on your keyboard.
Old 18-11-2023, 17:09   #43
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Cashy voting for Reform will give Keir Starmer the keys to number ten.
It should not be so but that is the reality of things.
The only way for this not to happen is for them to bring in Proportional Representation, but I fear this would be beyond the scope of many voters understanding.

The other thing that may deter some voters is the need to take photographic ID to the polling station to be able to vote.

This was brought in to deter voter fraud, but it ignores the fact that most voter fraud is carried out on postal votes.

Providing photographic ID puts me off. I know…I know!
If I have the voting notification card with my address on it…then that should be enough.
I have yet to see anyone challenge someone in a burka to reveal their face so that their ID can be checked. That may sound racist, but it isn’t…it is just saying there isn’t a level playing field.
photographic id would disqualify many older people from voting simply because if the no longer drive a car, no longer want to go on holiday abroad
they will have no passport or drivers licence and so no photo id
accybeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2023, 22:52   #44
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
i would love reform to get in but theres more chance of being struck by Lightening.theres more chance of me getting elected,i will not vote at all next time.in fact she has more balls than SUNAK.
Cashy give the lightening a chance
ferret man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2023, 11:01   #45
God Member

Cashy,
Not voting for Reform because they’ve no chance of winning is like not supporting Stanley because they’ll never win the Cup.
If a party represents your own ethos and views more than any other, why would you not show you at least agree with them?
Personally I find the SDP’s manifesto(s) the most sensible on most things but they seem incapable of gaining any publicity.
As to those who think the world will be better under Proportional Representation, if you recall we had a referendum on this and voted against it, and there is probably a bigger chance of a woke coalition than one made up of common-sense parties.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..