Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree60Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-11-2023, 11:27   #46
Beacon of light

Re: Suella Braverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by accybeme View Post
photographic id would disqualify many older people from voting simply because if the no longer drive a car, no longer want to go on holiday abroad
they will have no passport or drivers licence and so no photo id
Well, no that is not actually true.The criteria for photographic ID accepted at polling stations includes the bus pass….now most of us oldies have a bus pass.
But, my question is why should we have to provide Photo ID.
Most of the voter fraud is committed by some of the ethnic minorities….and if they want to commit voter fraud they do not do it at polling stations, they do it by using a postal vote.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-11-2023, 11:39   #47
Beacon of light

The argument for proportional representation is that it would level out the playing field for those lesser parties…not the big two….the lines between these two parties is much less clearly defined than at any other time in the past.
But there are still those who would vote for a monkey if it dressed in the colours of the party they support regardless of their manifesto…we saw that with a certain MP for Hyndburn….all that promise that was wasted.

Oh yes, Manifesto’s….they are not to be trusted are they?

Taddy, I was taught that it was important to vote too….but there have bern times when I have walked down to the polling station and written on my ballot paper ‘none of the above’…or something similar.
This means I have wasted my vote, but I have attended and as much as I can have shown my disappointment with the candidates.

Voting only changes things if those we elect follow through on their promises.
I feel that over the years democracy has become just a facade…a front and a platform for those who wish to follow their own agenda.

The other thing that has to be considered is that civil servants are unelected, but seem to be determining political policy…or if not determining it, definitely manipulating it.
taddy likes this.
Old 19-11-2023, 13:11   #48

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;1275654]The argument for proportional representation is that it would level out the playing field for those lesser partiesÂ…not the big twoÂ….the lines between these two parties is much less clearly defined than at any other time in the past.
But there are still those who would vote for a monkey if it dressed in the colours of the party they support regardless of their manifestoÂ…we saw that with a certain MP for HyndburnÂ….all that promise that was wasted.

Oh yes, ManifestoÂ’sÂ….they are not to be trusted are they?

Taddy, I was taught that it was important to vote too….but there have bern times when I have walked down to the polling station and written on my ballot paper ‘none of the above’…or something similar.
This means I have wasted my vote, but I have attended and as much as I can have shown my disappointment with the candidates.

Marge, I have finally come across a paper that I knew that I had but could never find it, it states, and I am quoting as I am reading it, the writer "Francis Ween" described the 1970s as the "Golden age of British Paranoia"
When a number of right-wing Military figures, angry about trade union militancy, began building "civil defence groups, which it was feared were effectively private armies.
In a 2006 BBC documentary, former Army and security officials talked cheerfully about having urged a military takeover of this country.
This was after the Daily Mirror owner Cecil King called a meeting of establishment luminaries, in which he called for the elected government to be replaced by an administration led by Lord Mountbatten, who present at the meeting but refused and the conspiracy went nowhere.
I had heard about this conspiracy myself in the 1970s from mates who joined the Army and later from workmates who were Ex Squaddies'.
If Sir Stammer's, lefties (yes I meant that spelling mistake), ever come to power, The above (conspiracy?) could come to pass. (I will refrain from saying hopefully), let folk think into that as they will.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2023, 13:40   #49
Beacon of light

Taddy, that is an interesting theory….there is very weak government and anarchy on the streets.

Mark Rowley thinks there is nothing illegal about the desecration of monuments ( you do not need to damage something to desecrate it, you just have to disrespect what it stands for).

If these huge volumes of people who are marching in favour of Hamas were football supporters…or were marching against the injustice like the women marchers against the policeman who raped and murdered a woman….do you think he would be so lenient? Because I don’t. So how is this policing fair? The answer is…it isn’t. It has been politicised.

The reason for the lenience is that many of these marchers are Muslims.
Many of these marchers (though not all) have adopted this country as their home.
But they want to re-create their country on our island.

I am just stating how I see these things…and that may constitute a hate crime….why?
Because it is considered that racial hatred can only be about people of colour.

I am not a racist. I have worked alongside people of all colours and creeds. I have respected their views and their values, but I do not see much of this respect coming in my direction.
taddy and ferret man like this.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 19-11-2023 at 13:43.
Old 19-11-2023, 17:54   #50

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;1275656]Taddy, that is an interesting theory….there is very weak government and anarchy on the streets.

Mark Rowley thinks there is nothing illegal about the desecration of monuments ( you do not need to damage something to desecrate it, you just have to disrespect what it stands for).

If these huge volumes of people who are marching in favour of Hamas were football supporters…or were marching against the injustice like the women marchers against the policeman who raped and murdered a woman….do you think he would be so lenient? Because I don’t. So how is this policing fair? The answer is…it isn’t. It has been politicised.

The reason for the lenience is that many of these marchers are Muslims.
Many of these marchers (though not all) have adopted this country as their home.
But they want to re-create their country on our island.

I am just stating how I see these things…and that may constitute a hate crime….why?
Because it is considered that racial hatred can only be about people of colour.

I am not a racist. I have worked alongside people of all colours and creeds. I have respected their views and their values, but I do not see much of this respect coming in my direction.

Oh Marge, I am not and have never been a "so-called" racist, I have worked with people of different nationalities and different religions all my working life but, a Muslim person bought the oldest public house in Huncoat, aca the Black Bull pub two or three years ago, which is next door to where Hazel and I have lived for over forty years, ,I, by the way have lived in this village, for over seventy years and the council have allowed, this person to buy one of the dwindling areas of greenery in the village and yet they state in their propaganda that that are going to create, (a Huncoat Garden Village), What a load of Labour Party -RAP, is that.
Old 19-11-2023, 18:13   #51

After saying that, The land in question is between his newly acquired property ? and Hazels and my house, which I have always been told carries the utilities, i.e. Gas, Electric, Water mains, that supply our property but time will tell.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..