Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2024, 19:40   #16
Beacon of light

Re: The state of our hospitals.

You need to discuss this at your appointment. Ask what is available and more importantly is effective.
I know that gallstones can be dissolved with drugs…but these take a long time to work and are not without side effects.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-03-2024, 19:33   #17

Well, it was explained extremely well to me what they can do, it's going to be a keyhole surgery and I'll be out the same day.
Apparently I'm showing symptoms that mean it may get worse as I get older and the chances of further complications as I am older could be worse.
So I'm booked to see someone (anethaputsyoutosleep) in a few weeks to see if I'm gonna be OK for it then apparently its only a 3 month wait, they do this op many times a day.
Looks like I may well be going to Blackburn...
RainbowSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2024, 08:04   #18
Beacon of light

Glad you were given the full information you needed to make your choice.

Keyhole(laparoscopic) surgery is being done millions of times all over the world.
But when it is happening to you it is a different matter.

Yes you will get out of hospital the same day, but despite the little cuts, you have still had surgery and you need to be kind to yourself.
Plenty of rest, pain relief and food that you enjoy.
Rainbow Six, I wish you a speedy return to good health….and if Lettie sees your post she may have even better advice for you because she has had this procedure done….and told us about it.
RainbowSix likes this.
Old 08-03-2024, 12:05   #19
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowSix View Post
Well, it was explained extremely well to me what they can do, it's going to be a keyhole surgery and I'll be out the same day.
Apparently I'm showing symptoms that mean it may get worse as I get older and the chances of further complications as I am older could be worse.
So I'm booked to see someone (anethaputsyoutosleep) in a few weeks to see if I'm gonna be OK for it then apparently its only a 3 month wait, they do this op many times a day.
Looks like I may well be going to Blackburn...

I had this done 12 years ago, I had to have it as an emergency in the end as I developed Cholecystitis, was in agony and was bordering on septic. They removed it keyhole, I needed only Paracetamol for a day or so after, (although they did offer me something stronger, I just didn't need it), and was home the following morning after an overnight stay. The care was brilliant (at RBH), and I made an excellent recovery. I had the full 6 weeks off work at the advice of my GP, and have been so much better since. Good luck with your procedure and be kind to yourself after.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2024, 15:15   #20
Beacon of light

Lettie I think that will be really good for Raibow Six to hear.
There is nothing like a first hand account from someone who has ‘been there and done that’.
Old 11-03-2024, 18:59   #21

Sure is thank you.

I initially was of the opinion that if we were born with it then why would it be OK toi take it out but the doc told me that I can eat normally afterwards - that would be good as I'm sick of eating salads and would like to try a pizza again lol.

I plan initially to take a week off, the doc said I was to not drive for 2 weeks and not lift anything heavy for several months.
I don't lift anything heavy due to back issues anyway but as I only do light electrical work I should be fine.
I'll spend the week playing with my 3D printer instead, assuming I'm not writhing in pain.
Old 12-03-2024, 09:37   #22
Beacon of light

If you are in writhing pain then you need to seek advice from someone with letters after their name.
Initially you need to take pain relief regularly…every 8 hours.
Don’t make the mistake of thinking you are invincible and letting the pain get as big as a mountain…take something as soon as you feel uncomfortable.
That way you will move better and get better in good time.
Yes, you are going to get to enjoy the food that has been banned.

Enjoy the recuperation and have fun playing with your 3D printer.
Old 13-03-2024, 19:14   #23

I will be taking whatever painkillers I can
Old 16-03-2024, 09:16   #24

From Thursday last week I had to attend the "Rosemere Cancer Centre" at Preston Hospital, yes I have been diagnosed with the Old Chaps "Prostrate Cancer", luckily it has been discovered early and has every chance of being cured by Radio and Hormone Therapy.
The friendliness, dedication and willingness to help from all the staff is in stark contrast to what Hazel received at Royal Blackburn A and E a few weeks ago.
After attending every weekday for another three weeks, I will hopefully be able to "Ring the Bell" three times to say that my Radio Therapy is finished and that the Cancer Cells are gone or in remission.
The only downside is that I have been advised to leave my beloved "Hobgoblin" ale alone for the duration. (but I may sneak an odd one in order to keep my (spirits up), no
pun intended.
RainbowSix likes this.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2024, 02:29   #25
Beacon of light

Taddy I hope you do well on your treatment.
Cancer is very scary.Treatment for cancer is very scary too.
I am pleased that they are looking after you well.
The situation with Rosemere is very different to the situation that Hazel met in A&E.
This is in no way to excuse poor treatment that she received.
A&Eis flooded with people, many of whom would not be there if they could get seen by a GP.
The Rosemere centre know each day how many patients they will have to deal with…A&E don’t.
As for the hobgoblin…if they have suggested that you do not drink, then it is for a good reason. It may interfere with the treatment you are getting…and you really do not want to make it harder for the treatment to do its job.
Lecture over.
Get well soon Taddy.
taddy likes this.
Old 18-03-2024, 11:16   #26

Many Thanks for that Marge.
Old 18-03-2024, 21:39   #27

Taddy, I am sorry to hear that you have been diagnosed with this and I hope you have a quick and full recovery from it.

Be a good lad, do as you’re told, and leave the Hobgoblin alone until you get the all clear and then you can have two bottles to celebrate. It will be worth the wait.

Best wishes, get well soon.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2024, 07:48   #28
Beacon of light

I second Dorothy’s advice.
When you have completed your treatment you can celebrate with a whole pack of Hobgoblin if you want…you might need a lie down afterwards though.
taddy likes this.
Old 23-03-2024, 14:01   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
Taddy, I am sorry to hear that you have been diagnosed with this and I hope you have a quick and full recovery from it.

Be a good lad, do as you’re told, and leave the Hobgoblin alone until you get the all clear and then you can have two bottles to celebrate. It will be worth the wait.

Best wishes, get well soon.
Many thanks for the good wishes Dotti, as for leaving the "Hobgoblin" alone though, I shall have to give it some thought, I have been "Suppin" three or four pints of (REAL ALE) and only (REAL ALE. almost daily since I was 16 or 17 years old and I am now seventy seven years old, I have mentioned it at my Doctors Practice and to the staff at the "Rosemere Cancer Centre" and although they don't condone it they have agreed that it has not done me much harm, or, to quote my Father, "There is no such thing as a bad pint of Real Ale but some are better than others, as long as they are kept and served properly.
Thank you again for your good wishes.

Last edited by Neil; 07-04-2024 at 09:17.
Old 23-03-2024, 14:27   #30

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;1277451]I second Dorothy’s advice.
When you have completed your treatment you can celebrate with a whole pack of Hobgoblin if you want…you might need a lie down afterwards though.

As with Dotti, thank you for your concern Marge, I have knocked my consumption down a bit on the advice of the staff at "Rosemere", who as I explained in my post to Dotti have said that quote, "you do look well for your age but if you shave your beard and mustache off you will look 10 years younger", to which I replied, again quote, "I am waiting for a congratulations card from "Bonnie King Charlie" or "Just William", when I reach 100 years old, I will then have my first (full shave in 80 years) and will then only look ninety.
Again, Many thanks, I hope Dave is recovering well, stay healthy and happy, your (old) classmate Taddy.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..