Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-02-2005, 11:50   #151
God Member

Re: big bumps on the coppice...?

As one of "A-bob's Angels" Lettie, that would never happen.

Am I correct in assuming that Britcliffe was formerly a teacher? You would not know it from that reply. It is no wonder that our little darlings leave school unable to read and write.
Old 18-02-2005, 11:52   #152
Caz
God Member

Quote:
Probably because she has a degree in Media Studies, which appears to have replaced Sociology as the subject of choice for the vast flocks of "Daddy's Little Princesses" who are too special and talented to do a real job.
Is this the same Gayle Knight who happens to be a reporter with the Accy Observer by any chance?
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2005, 11:59   #153
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Yes it is, she's given up her column in the Observer to work for Mid Penine Arts.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2005, 12:20   #154
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie
Yes it is, she's given up her column in the Observer to work for Mid Penine Arts.
I doubt if the word 'work' is the correct terminology to describe employment with the MPAA.

By the way, has anyone yet been informed as to whether or not people in wheelchairs will have access to the top of these bumps?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2005, 15:39   #155
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
By the way, has anyone yet been informed as to whether or not people in wheelchairs will have access to the top of these bumps?
Interesting point there mate, especially given Ms Knight's evident enthusiasm for viewing the town and the trenches from above. One would imagine that it would now be unlawful to deny such delights to the disabled. What do you reckon, should they install a Stanah stair lift in each of the lumps or should they have a specially trained team of absailers on call. And what about the provision for people with learning difficulties? Or indeed those who are differently gendered? And if it comes to that, what about the sensibilities of the ethnic minorities who might see this as a glorification of an imperialist war ethic? Oh the possibilities make my head spin. There must be a thesis in all this somewhere!
Old 18-02-2005, 16:49   #156
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie
"Good morning
Thank you for your email. I was very interested to hear your views and I personally have not expressed an opinion.
I am bearing in mind all the comments received as the time will come shortly when a decision has to be made.
Peter Britcliffe."
That sounds about right for our leader PB..........sit on the fence

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2005, 16:52   #157
God Member

One wonders what provision will be made for the gay community. Where will they go to do their "cottaging" once the top of the coppice is swarming with tourists, admiring this splendid new creation? Maybe Councillor Britcliffe could provide something for them in his office.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2005, 20:30   #158
Beacon of light

Gayle Knight Had to give up her column in the Accrington Observer because it caused her a 'conflict of interest'...... being as how the Observer is so keen to see the scheme go ahead (NOT). And how do you think that PB got the crack in his B*M...... it was from sitting on the fence!!!!!!!!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2005, 21:42   #159
Senior Member+

Quote:
And how do you think that PB got the crack in his B*M...... it was from sitting on the fence!!!!!!!!
HeHe is that not a sign of a good politician, thought thats what they all did

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2005, 23:52   #160
Resident Waffler

Well you all seem to have been having lots of correspondence with Gayle Knight. I emailed her before we went away, and as far as a reply goes, to quote Diana Ross, "I'm still waiting"

Mr Leaf sir, have you considered the fact that these bumps are best viewed from the air and therefore perhaps Hyndborg BC should be laying on trips from Squires Gate akin to the ones for local schoolchildren in the 60s? Now that could be the way to easily accomodate all persuasions, ethnic origins and abilities. All we'd need are some in flight running commentaries for the visually challenged and Bob's your Uncle.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2005, 23:59   #161

Looking through the history books about accrington I saw many years ago the council did something radical to the coppice,they planted lots and lots of plant like things known as trees,you can still see them today.(Brown and green they are)
PILKYBUSDRIVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2005, 00:02   #162
Resident Waffler

Yes, and horrible they are too. Banned they should have been. Left it like it was they should have done. Grr.

Old 20-02-2005, 00:05   #163
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i think it would be a great idea to site it on the old main shaft of huncoat pit.
Old 20-02-2005, 00:09   #164
Resident Waffler

I can think of better things to site over an old mine shaft.

Old 20-02-2005, 20:20   #165
Full Member+

I see that someone has renovated the steps from the Plantation street end. Is the council spending the money before the`ve got it ??

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..