Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-02-2005, 08:33   #16
God Member

Re: Most sickening story of the week...

First of all I want to say that I have no argument at all with free speech. It is the most precious of the rights we enjoy as British subjects. That includes the right to say things that some sections of society may find hurtful, objectionable or offensive.

How can you engage in debate if a portion of your terms of reference are disallowed or proscribed by law?

"I may disagree with what you say but I will defend until death your right to say it". (Voltaire)

So, as far as I am concerned, Stephen Green and Christian Voice are perfectly at liberty to spout whatever sort of pious claptrap they choose, twenty four hours a day, three hundred and sixty five days a year if they so wish. They may also do it through whatever medium they choose, whether this be from a pulpit, through the press or via the internet. Again, I can have no argument with that. Provided they recognise that the same right exists for everyone else, no sane person could, or would, wish to interfere.

I also do not have any argument against public protest as a means of reinforcing your argument, provided that it is peaceful and harms no one.
And I am sure that this is a position which the majority of members of this board would endorse.

But does Firebombing clinics offering terminations and the murder of doctors and clinic staff involved in those terminations strike you as legitimate peaceful protest?

According to the article in the Times, quoted above, there are links between Christian Voice and the American Christian Fundamentalist, Neal Horsley, who says that he believes that the Ten Commandments justify murder to prevent the deaths of unborn children.

If Christian Voice intends to adopt the tactics of American "Anti-abortionists" in their determination to end the practice of termination on demand in this country, as they say they do, then such action should give us all, Christian, Agnostic and Athiest alike, cause for the gravest possible concern.
Old 27-02-2005, 08:52   #17
Give, give, give member

Quite agree. Free speech is an important right even if you don't agree with it. l had a leaflet shoved through my door this week by the BNP. Reading it totally frightened me on a personal level, but l support their right to a voice, even if they got any real power l think my voice would be scilenced.
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2005, 09:39   #18
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1
you could always worship me
those 3 reasons alone would make me a better god than the current one
Why should I want to do that,it would not be christian
Quote:
believe it or not i actualy do help others in many ways and have gone out of my way plenty of times to help others
the difference is i dont do it to score brownie points to get into heaven i do it because its the right thing to do at the time
Is that not something most people do as part of their every day life.

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2005, 10:02   #19
God Member

>>Why should I want to do that,it would not be christian<<

No, you would then be a Chavian!

>> Is that not something most people do as part of their every day life.<<

Yes it is and, unlike Stephen Green and his bible bashing chums, most of us have the good taste not to wear our piety on our sleeves.
Old 27-02-2005, 10:07   #20

[QUOTE=Acrylic-bob]First of all I want to say that I have no argument at all with free speech. It is the most precious of the rights we enjoy as British subjects. That includes the right to say things that some sections of society may find hurtful, objectionable or offensive.

"I may disagree with what you say but I will defend until death your right to say it". (Voltaire)

So, as far as I am concerned, Stephen Green and Christian Voice are perfectly at liberty to spout whatever sort of pious claptrap they choose, twenty four hours a day, three hundred and sixty five days a year if they so wish. They may also do it through whatever medium they choose, whether this be from a pulpit, through the press or via the internet. Again, I can have no argument with that. Provided they recognise that the same right exists for everyone else, no sane person could, or would, wish to interfere.

Brilliantly put A-Bob, I am entirely on your wavelength but doubt if I could have expressed it so lucidly.
THOTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2005, 10:15   #21

Quote:
He added: “It was an even worse day when they let women on the front line. They should be in the home. The man should be the leader in the family and the woman should be the daughter or wife under the authority of her father and then her husband.”
Mr Green sounds like a delightful man to know. Golly gee, but I envy his wife.
How can someone with such an outdated view be expected to have a balanced opinion on sensitive subjects such as termination?
Old 27-02-2005, 10:54   #22
God Member

Having had a look at the Christian Voice website, and considering what they have to say and the way in which they express themselves, I am left with the impression that they take their inspiration from the puritans of the 16th Century. You know, the ones who decided to ban Theatre, dancing and Christmas, and every other form of ostentatious display.

As to the subject of Mr Green's wife, I would feel sorry for her, but for the fact that she chooses to remain with her bigotted husband.
Old 27-02-2005, 10:56   #23

Oh I wasn't expressing sympathy for his wife. Anyone who chooses to stay/agree/whatever with a such a nutcase is clearly a candidate for a padded room.
Old 27-02-2005, 13:16   #24
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by -pixie
Oh I wasn't expressing sympathy for his wife. Anyone who chooses to stay/agree/whatever with a such a nutcase is clearly a candidate for a padded room.
never mind that woman wheres my tea...?

j/k of course

I BELIEVE

i believe i will have another beer

back in 5
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2005, 16:05   #25
God Member

Someone just described my post #19 in this thread as "a tasteless comment" and deducted karma for it. Needless to say they did not have the courage or courtesy to sign their comment. It is not the loss of Karma that concerns me, it is the annoymous sniping.

What do other members think, was it tasteless?

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 27-02-2005 at 16:07.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2005, 16:10   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
Someone just described my post #19 in this thread as "a tasteless comment" and deducted karma for it. Needless to say they did not have the courage or courtesy to sign their comment. It is not the loss of Karma that concerns me, it is the annoymous sniping.

I would have said it was merely common sense. There was nothing tasteless about it IMO.
Maybe we have some extreme evangelicists (sp?) that you offended A-B? Watch out for the prayer lines outside your house.
Old 27-02-2005, 16:21   #27
Senior Member+

You put yourself over extremly well A-B, i myself cannot find fault with your post.
I do not agree with abortion, but these people take the biscuit.Don't they know that two wrongs don't make a right.
Old 27-02-2005, 16:31   #28
resting in peace

It seems to me that this Mr Green has found his passport to fame. A minor nobody makes a statement designed to cause offence to a majority of people and lets rip. of course everybody takes the bait and replies giving the man just what he wants. He's a flamer, nothing more. nothing less. using the same tactics as Animal Rights protesters and anybody else in a minority who have a greivance against the majority.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2005, 16:45   #29
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank
It seems to me that this Mr Green has found his passport to fame. A minor nobody makes a statement designed to cause offence to a majority of people and lets rip. of course everybody takes the bait and replies giving the man just what he wants. He's a flamer, nothing more. nothing less. using the same tactics as Animal Rights protesters and anybody else in a minority who have a greivance against the majority.
hopefully his fame will become great enough for somone to post his picture and adress on the internet then we can all force our opinions on him via royal mail
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2005, 18:00   #30
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob

Strange that, I had Karma deducted for post #18 it read " you sound overly pompous" that was not signed either
as with a-b

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..