Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2005, 14:36   #31

Re: Accy

fair enough. i like to be as funny as possible. thank god you don't like taches. you had me worried for a second. you were living in the past.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanerlee
i know. but i'm just winding you up. they are crap and i would'nt have one.
it's just your'e responses were so funny.
Old 03-03-2005, 14:38   #32

no pal, i'm hardly paul calf
stanerlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 14:40   #33

thank god for that then
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanerlee
no pal, i'm hardly paul calf
Old 03-03-2005, 17:12   #34
Resting in peace

You won't find anything to do if you wait for someone to hand it to you on a plate. Start your own youth club - we did back in the 60s, joined up for events with a youth club from Clitheroe, had a great time. Start a discussion group, a chess club, organise music swop evenings with friends, go out trout tickling at Eddisford Bridge, you have some of the best country in England on your doorstep - use it. There are lots of things you could do which you would probably enjoy more than skulking in a pub trying to pretend you are 18 and worrying that someone will know you're not. Get together with friends, see what you like doing, and join up together. You won't have time to be bored.
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 18:41   #35

[QUOTE]Start your own youth club .

there you go luke. you can all grow taches together
Old 03-03-2005, 20:16   #36
Passed away 25-11-09

I was a teenager in the 50s and early 60s. During the week there wasn't a lot of time to worry about not enough to do because of homework etc., followed by being too knackered after a day at work (7 a.m. to 7 p.m. for me, including travelling time - and they say Civil Servants have a cushy time!!!!) when I'd left school, but at weekends I can't remember being bored. I didn't do pubs because, being only 5'1 and very slim, I looked very young (I was still being challenged by landlords when I was 25 and had 2 children) but we had coffee bars. Those wonderful places had frothy coffee, a bite of food and always a juke box. They were the meeting place for all teenagers and I actually met my future husband in one.

The cinema was popular on a Saturday night and we also had "dances". I used to go to Church Con Club where the music - Elvis, Bill Hayley, The Platters etc., came from a Dansette record player. In Summer we West Enders had "Kemp Delph" in Stanhill which was the local "lido". It was a water-filled disused quarry in a meadow where you could dive, swim, sunbathe etc. We used to walk for miles too, up on the moors, the Coppice or just around Accy or Ossy, and we played tennis at Rhyddings Park.

It must all seem very tame and, no doubt, kids would call it boring now but we just were not bored. It's a different world today and, d'you know, I don't envy today's kids one bit.
Old 03-03-2005, 20:18   #37

see luke , i bet these lot had taches, and cut a dash in them too.
Old 03-03-2005, 20:42   #38
Passed away 25-11-09

A tache for Luke?

Well, Luke, they come in all shapes and sizes. There's the David Niven/Errol Flynn, pencil thin but if you're not careful you'll look like a wartime spiv with an armful of watches. How about the Harold McMillan walrus? Very good if you're missing your front teeth as it covers the mouth. You could go for the waxed, curly one with a little goatee beard then you'll look like the Laughing Cavalier - very dashing, especially if worn with a large, lacy collar and a hat with a feather. The Military is very good, covers the lip, not too bushy and nicely clipped. This is good if you think your face looks a bit too young. Avoid the Engelbert Humperdink - you'll just look like a prat. If all else fails, go for the full beard. At least no one will recognise you and it'll keep your chest warm.
Old 03-03-2005, 20:48   #39
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockrabbit
Thats why most of us started going round the pubs at 16 it was either that or stood on the streets bored stupid all night
Speak for yourself I was 13 when I first went to la-de-dars, bouncers did'nt care as long as there was a bit of skirt going in............and I mean a bit.

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 21:11   #40

good , sound advice westender. luke please take note!!!!!
Old 03-03-2005, 22:09   #41
Senior Member+

didnt you state in another thread luke that you could never possible come stanley because you have college work and have to work all the time
AccyStanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 22:44   #42
Always EVIL within us

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke orourke 1988
is it just me or is there nothing at all to to do at accy for teenagers except cinema and bowling (the cinema is cr*p)
I was brought up in a village that only boasted 3 pubs and the landlords knew my age and date of birth so there was NO chance of having a bevy before I was eighteen inside the village.

As soon as I had transport, I started going to places that had some sort of nightlife, Stevenage, Watford or London, these were all within a 35 mile radius.

You Luke, have Blackburn, Burnley or Bolton right on your doorstep with Manchester only 40 minutes drive away..... If you cannot get to these places, then I would suggest that you are too young anyway and should stay in Accy to do your school homework instead of dreaming of pulling birds and getting drunk!

You have probably heard it before that teenagers today expect everything on demand but unfortunately for you, most adults know better than to pander to the demands of a petulant youth!

By the way, you didn't actually say exactly what you would like to see in Accy to keep you happy, How about a few suggestions? Perhaps Brittcliffe will read this post and grant you your wishes so that he can get the youth vote when you are old enough.....
Old 03-03-2005, 23:09   #43
resting in peace

There are so many rules and regulations today, it;s a wonder they let teenagers walk the streets at all today, I mean they are all just so many scoungers and loafers. Call in National Subscription and have them do their time then they can shout about what they do and don't want. But what about you and me? Where was your fight?
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 23:40   #44
Resident Waffler

National Subscription - the new idea for funding Hyndborg Council's debts.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 09:43   #45

thanks for all the tips. ill see what i can do. ight try and see if i can in lar de dars or a drink in the pub.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..