Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2005, 13:42   #16
Member.

Re: American state may legalise hunting domestic cats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
BTW is there anything more pongy than cat pooh?
Cats don't pooh willow, pooh is to nicer word for what they do. When they do, do doo's, doo's they S*** . Its postivly more offensive then a little "Pooh".

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-03-2005, 15:27   #17
Junior Member+

The number of ferral cats in North America is mind boggling. On my one small crescent alone there can be group of 15-20 cats screaming and fighting all night. These are usually disposable cats left behind when people move. I love animals and while I am not a cat owner I like them but something must be done, their breeding is way out of control. The smell around our homes is awful and Humane Society will not do anything about cats. There are all kinds of laws, legislation and bans on dogs but nothing is done about cats.
Old 11-03-2005, 16:22   #18
God Member

Now that foxhunting is "banned" (don't make me laugh), what about urban cat hunts? Obviously, we could'nt ride around the back streets of Accy, Church or Ossy on horseback so we'd have to follow on foot. Nevertheless, there would still be the thrill of the chase and I reckon a good pack of 20 or 30 cathounds would probably kill the same number of mangy moggys in a day. Just think - within 2 weeks we could clear the streets of Hyndburn of this pestulance and have an awful lot of fun in doing so.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 18:07   #19

kill my cats and i kill you. capiche?
stanerlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 18:27   #20
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanerlee
kill my cats and i kill you. capiche?
your cat comes onto my property its fair game

dont worry about waking up with a horses head on your pillow when kittys will do fine

capiche?
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 21:18   #21
Passed away 25-11-09

What is this vendetta people have against cats? I hear so much drivvel from cat-haters about how they dig plants up, mess in gardens, etc., etc., ad nauseam. I have a cat and there are lots of cats around the neighbourhood. Sure they come into my garden, much to our cat's annoyance, but they do no harm. The cat next door visits me every morning, has her chin tickled and goes home again. Our cat glares at her and looks "put out" and our dog gives one of those "Oh no, not you again" looks but my garden's fine and I am, believe me, a very keen gardener. There is the occasional bit of latrine-digging but, hell, I use a spade and a hoe or at least a trowel. I put horse manure round my roses, I'm not too worried about a bit of cat manure in the flower beds.

Most of the people I know who don't like cats haven't ever had much to do with them. Their parents didn't like cats so, well, it's what you do, innit? They little realise they are slaves to historical superstition that equated cats with witchcraft and the supernatural. They'll tell you they like children and dogs and squirrels and rabbits but, oh no, not cats.

As for the ardent bird lovers who hate cats because they kill birds, if there were no predators we would be knee-deep in birds. Oh and don't forget the mice, you'd love a few thousand of them on your property, wouldn't you? What about when you go to the zoo, or watch a wildlife programme? Mrs. Lion leaps on a pretty little gazelle (or a butchered one in the zoo). Dreadful isn't it? All lions should be killed, right? Well they're just big cats. It's all Nature, red in tooth and claw, all part of the food chain just like your bird lover when he sits down to a nice chicken dinner or a delicious bit of baby lamb.

Cats are affectionate, intelligent animals. I know, I've had cats all my life. They don't have the blind devotion of dogs. Throw a stick for a dog and he'll fetch it back because he wants to please you. Throw a stick for a cat and he says, "You threw it away, you fetch it back". But sit down by the fire with a cat and stroke his silky fur while he purrs and rubs his head on you. He loves you because he wants to, not because he is your slave. Don't get me wrong, I love dogs and I've had them all my life, too. Different species, different relationship, same affection.
Old 11-03-2005, 23:18   #22
I am Banned

as i type this my childs ball tent is in the back yard with cat crap on it

i should be able to leave stuff in my back yard without fear of OTHER peoples pets crapping on it

if i ever get lucky enough to catch the damn cat in the act and it has a collar on it i will shove what it drops in my yard through the respective owners letter box

does that sound fair or should i just execute persistant offenders

quote:

Do not let children play in areas where cats and dogs go to the bathroom. Roundworm (Toxocara) larvae in cat and dog droppings can cause blindness and other health problems

quote:

so my OWN yard is not safe for my child because people cant control their pets

source of quote

http://www.99main.com/~charlief/vi/eyesafty.html

Last edited by chav1; 11-03-2005 at 23:25.
Old 12-03-2005, 13:41   #23
Beacon of light

Smile Re: American state may legalise hunting domestic cats!

I have two cats.....one pedigree, one moggy.....they are both litter trained and they both use their tray.....however they do like to go out for a roam around.....but they come in from outside and go straight in their litter tray......not in someones garden.
One of my cats is long coated and you would be hard pressed to see his collar, even at close range. I would be very upset if someone were to shoot my cats for fun.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 12-03-2005 at 13:41. Reason: stiff little fingers
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 14:01   #24
I am Banned

i am refering to those cat owners who buy a cat coz their kids think they are cute and let them run wild crapping all over the place

i have had cats pee in my kitchen because i dared to leave my back door or a window open in the summer but i guess thats my own fault for wanting to be able to have my widows open on my own property how stupid of me to expect other peoples pets not to crap and pee in my home

ime sorry but if you dont want cats to be killed keep them indoors or if you must have a pet get one that dosnt insist on crapping on other peoples property

i know dogs can also offend but they are less likely to scale my yard wall to take a crap in my yard

cats are vermin the only thing keeping them been classed as vermin is that people find them cute

people say oh but cats are natural roamers well dosnt this tell you that by their own nature they are not meant to be kept as pets

i wonder how many cats these new wheelie bins can hold ...?

Last edited by chav1; 12-03-2005 at 14:03.
Old 12-03-2005, 14:15   #25
Member.

My dearest Mrs Pilkington. I for one would not want to shoot at your big pussy and miss. I dread to think what it could do if it was needlessly upset, that is one monster kitty, and a beautiful one at that. I can’t really believe anyone would want to hurt it. Most of us would be to bloody frighten.

Joking aside and the same for our friends Willow, Lindsey and West Ender, I am sure that the majority of us would never want to see any harm befall such regal creatures and in our criticism we refer only to those who chose to keep a cat and show no regard for their pets or their neighbours.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 12-03-2005, 14:19   #26
I am Banned

kudos to those that control their pets but ime affraid most dont
Old 12-03-2005, 18:19   #27
Beacon of light

I am a responsible pet owner. There are a few of us about. Like there are responsible parents and irresponsible parents. I take the ownership of my animals very seriously.
One of my cats is very large and a bit fierce looking, and though he likes to go out he rarely ventures far, and I am glad of that because he has absolutely no road sense.
My moggy rescued my hubby from very deep depression after he had a stroke, she too likes to wander but there is a bit of 'wild' in all domestic pets.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 18:53   #28
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Must have missed this thread, as I'm not allowed legally to shoot cats with bullets/pellets I have a paintball gun which is great for keeping the local vermin cats off my property. Chav and Tealeaf you really should invest in one it's great fun watching them run with an orange explosion on their fur and it's not often they come back, for extra humour when you spot one in the street with the paint marking still there it gives extra satisfaction.
I for one don't want it legalised in this country it's much more fun using a paintball gun.

Once it's on my land it's an intruder and it's fair game.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 21:19   #29
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss
I for one don't want it legalised in this country it's much more fun using a paintball gun. Once it's on my land it's an intruder and it's fair game.
My friend, I take your statement at face value and I look forward to seeing you strike foot on my land….I refer with humour to your unfortunate choice of name and avatar. That said, what a cracking good idea. It’s even humane

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 12-03-2005, 21:38   #30
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1
cats are vermin the only thing keeping them been classed as vermin is that people find them cute
Far from being vermin cats keep vermin away. We were plagued by mice when we had a dog. The house next door was empty and food had been left in there by the previous inhabitants mice moved in. (We finally traced the nest after we got access to the property thanks to the owner) When they ran out of food in there they invaded my house! It was a nightmare. We even borrowed a friend's cat for a day in the hope of catching them as all we did failed and even the council exterminator people couldn't get rid of the wretched things.

Once when we came back from hoilday there were oodles of them in a cupboard.

When our dog died we got a cat of our own and we haven't seen a single mouse since. I know which I prefer.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..