Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Community Talk General Hyndburn community chat.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-12-2006, 17:33   #46
Resting in peace

Re: Asda Car Park

Having a long car, it has cut down considerably on the spaces I can fit into, and I now have to use about half a gallon of petrol to reach a decent sized space. The layout is total crap. Perhaps when the first head-on collision occurs, they might change it back.
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-12-2006, 17:41   #47

The new carpark layout is attrocious, obviusly the work of some overpaid desk jockey with no driving experience and no common sense. Why send everyone on the full tour on the way in when they could have gone in on the left and out on the right extending the 2 lanes for Left + straight, and turning right to ease exiting.

You people must rethink your driving though.

Reverse INTO parking spaces not out into the path of other motorists !!!!!

I`ll just make that VERY important point again

Too late now I reckon I don`t think they`ll change it again anytime soon cos for all us whingers on here they still have a carpark full of shoppers most daytimes.

Maybe it`s an American Idea.

No-One is completely useless........
They can always serve as a bad example.
www.panjenix.co.uk
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2006, 18:43   #48
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
reverse INTO parking spaces not out into the path of other motorists !!!!![/COLOR][/SIZE]
Hi Zero, I would normally agree with you about reversing into parking spaces, always do when in situations other than supermarket shopping .... you have to put your bags in the boot and impossible to do this if your boot is up someone else's bonnet, and can't get yer' trolley between the cars. This is one oversight I have always thought planners overlook, but all to do with how many cars you can get into a space of available land I suppose.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2006, 19:26   #49
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkologist View Post
The Asda carpark is a complete waste of time and effort. The layout must have been designed by a committee of 5 year olds, during their lunch break. It is so ill thought out!
I know people who now go to Tesco at Haslingden instesd of Accy Asda, purely on the basis of hassle free parking when they get there. Tha Asda have scored an own goal with this carpark layout.
sparks we must be related.
Old 21-12-2006, 19:42   #50
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Its a shame you shouted so loud with that statement. Kate is right, you have to park with your boot sticking out so you can load up. If you try parking backward and someone park's so close you can't open the hatchback.

All it needs is for people to chill out while driving around the car park. If you see someone wanting to pull out of a space then stop and let them. Drive slowly and carefully, it's a car park so is full of kiddies and people with trolleys that go where they want.

The old layout was worse. You had the silly roundabout that caused the problem. If you parked at the right hand side (looking from the road) you had 2 lanes going into a round about where people from the other side of the car park had right of way. You were totally at the mercy of other drivers letting you out when it was busy or you could be sat there all day. They have ditched the roundabout and made that long entry/exit road to give people somewhere to queue for the lights without blocking up the car park like before.
Old 21-12-2006, 21:00   #51

Besides the car park being hard to negotiate, where's the footpaths? If i am not parked near the entrance i really struggle to get from one side of the car park to the other.

Last edited by Sara; 21-12-2006 at 21:01. Reason: missed words
Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2006, 23:18   #52
Resident Waffler

Have to agree with you there Sara - there should be safe walkway areas between the parked cars and zebra crossings over the roads. And yes Katex is absolutely right. It makes no sense to park with your boot inaccessible. You need to be able to get the boot open and the trolly close to the boot.

The old layout was not perfect but this is certainly not an improvement.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2006, 23:55   #53

Smile Re: Asda Car Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy View Post
Having a long car, it has cut down considerably on the spaces I can fit into, and I now have to use about half a gallon of petrol to reach a decent sized space. The layout is total crap. Perhaps when the first head-on collision occurs, they might change it back.
must be a guzzler then (blair will love that)lol
madmal_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2006, 00:48   #54
God Member

must say when we got our asda refurb this year its turned out ok.. but the new layout of the car park is an absolute nightmare and dangerous nd im counting days before the accident waiting to happen
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2006, 01:51   #55

Reversing into parking spaces is the CORRECT procedure and the cark park should have been designed with that in mind. (I do drive very slowly on there) Like you suggest sufficient walkways between cars to allow you to get to the boot with your trolley. I normally park in the family spaces so Reverse up to the path but the family spaces also seem to have been reduced in number and as someone`s pointed out to short for anything bigger than a smart car.

The roundabout was crap and dangerous with cars and shopping trolleys never knowing who was going where but they could have saved enough wasted car parking areas to make sufficient walkways by going in to the left and out from the right (from entering).

Someone find a plan of it and we`ll all have a go at redesigning it.

No-One is completely useless........
They can always serve as a bad example.
www.panjenix.co.uk
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2006, 12:57   #56
Resting in Peace

Well, seems to be an extra planning application in for the car park (an afterthought ?) ... deposited 5th December '06.. 'alterations to existing customer car park and landscaping' ... so maybe gonna' get a few trees or grass areas to make your trips more pleasant

'Fraid if you wish to see a plan Zero will have to go down town to look at it ... HBC website not large enough as yet to accommodate the actual plans.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 16:00   #57
God Member

I hate shopping - full stop. I use ASDA's home delivery service and it comes from the Clayton le Dale store. Because I am organised and have a freezer I can buy in every 2 or 3 weeks and get free delivery using an Asda credit card by spending over £99 each time (having fags on the bill helps, since i only feed me and the cat)
I used to have Tesco deliveries before that which came from Haslingden. Asda delivery service is not as good as Tesco. Often things are 'not in stock' and I dont allow substitutes, so a few times lately I have visited the store and came away feeling like a limp rag.
One advantage about shopping this way is the occaisional 'freebies' - items placed in your order by mistake. I once got £40 worth of free wine!!!. If you ring up and admit you have got them they say 'our mistake - keep it'

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 19:48   #58
Riq

Are those humps really necessary? They slow everything down but to an absolute crawl at time, they could be maybe a little lower or maybe longer, but not as high. Anything above 3mph your car just jerks up like you have a hit a ramp at 60mph

I always drive round the to the back since I always have, I once parked on the way in, in the first space I got to, wont make that mistake again!! Took forever to reverse out. No-one was kind enough to let me out either.

On a side note, this is possibly one of the best smilies I have ever seen on an internet forum.
Riq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 19:48   #59
God Member

I do all my food shopping online too.I put my order on in the comfort of home without having to negotiate car parks,bad weather,kids putting stuff in the trolley that I didn't want etc and it is delivered in a specified time slot.I've never had a problem,never had anything out of date or squashed.If you did get something you weren't happy with you can just ring the number on your bill and they'll refund you but I've been doing it for 2 years and I've never had to do it.I've used Asda and Sainsbury's,I find it so much less stressful.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 19:50   #60
Riq

I must admit when I was at Uni we did have Tesco Home Delivery which was awesome. Being students we could get deliveries at off-peak (i.e. cheaper) times. But I always forgot loads of stuff as I wasn't walking up the aisles and remembering what I needed/wanted as it walked through.
Riq is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..