Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Community Talk General Hyndburn community chat.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-11-2009, 12:42   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: Woodnook Secondary Modern

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaccy View Post
Hi kate just seen the post would your life long friend be Katy Moss?
It certainly is Dougie. Think you may have been in the year above her husband, Colin Yates, though ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-01-2010, 23:36   #17
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossy kid View Post
Who else would call you Alf??? Yes it,s me mate and still "Kicking"
Hi Brian: Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, PC problems
( ) . Anyways hope you and the family had a wonderful Christmas and all reved up for the challenges 2010 will bring. Yes, it would be nice to get together and talk about all those "GOALS" we missed. Are you still out in BC?
John Alfred Hockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 00:25   #18
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Good to know my face is forgettable .... LOL. No wonder you are not on that pantomime picture Alfie ... Kath Smith is sat on the back end of the elephant.
Will start another thread on St. Augustines Youth Club once I can get some photos scanned ... don't wish to get pulled up for digression. Carry on Woodnookers.

By the way, remember you MickP ... one of those people you don't really know ..just hung around the dance clubs when I did ..right little Teddy Boy you were ...

Hi Kate:
"Happy New Year" to you and your family. My apologies re: your face being forgettable,I guess I wasn't to bright back then..... if you didn't have Adidas, or Umbro stamped on you forehead you could have looked like Sandra Dee and I wouldn't have noticed you. I owe you lunch next time we're over..........JH.
Old 23-01-2010, 13:26   #19
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Alfred Hockett View Post
Hi Kate:
"Happy New Year" to you and your family. My apologies re: your face being forgettable,I guess I wasn't to bright back then..... if you didn't have Adidas, or Umbro stamped on you forehead you could have looked like Sandra Dee and I wouldn't have noticed you. I owe you lunch next time we're over..........JH.
LOL ... that's Ok Alf ... did put up a thread on St.Augustines with photographs (you in there too in the football team) .. don't know whether you spotted it ?

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...oat-50355.html

Going back to Woodnook school ... came across this whilst looking for something else, don't know whether anyone else saw it ?

Rock ā€™nā€™ roll-loving teenager tells all (From Lancashire Telegraph)
Old 23-01-2010, 20:55   #20
Senior Member+

This has nowt to do with Woodnook......this is the second time this week I have heard it said that canada has internet police. Disturbing. The first chap would not join an organisation because there was no constitution and this might upset the internet police.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2010, 22:43   #21
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
This has nowt to do with Woodnook......this is the second time this week I have heard it said that canada has internet police. Disturbing. The first chap would not join an organisation because there was no constitution and this might upset the internet police.
Sorry Bob .. what are you talking about ...
Old 24-01-2010, 01:16   #22
Senior Member+

Good question Katex, I,m baffled.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2010, 03:51   #23
Junior Member+

Hi Kate:
Wow! I havn't seen those photos in years,thanks for taking the time to scan them for us. That's my kid brother Ray on the drums, and yep that's me underneath Ian Hopkins and Kath Smith. Great article re: 'Teenage Recollections' by Margaret Wareing, I remember many of the names mentioned in that and also The Class of 56/57 ( The year ahead of us )..........Great stuff. When are you going to write your autobiography Kate ?
Old 26-02-2012, 20:03   #24
Junior Member+

My husband Colin Wood went to Woodnook 1954-8 knew Alf hockett and walked to school with Mick.P then back home with John Bob Davies and Stewart Slattery. John was the star centre-forward for the school,and also the best swimmer. He remembers most of the teachers, Mr Suthers sports teacher,Mr Hill took us for maths, Mr Frankland who was also in charge of Priestley house. His least favourite was the Headteacher Bill Garnett always got the cane of him, my husband was always on the dishonour board, with Donald Furness and a lass called Linda Stokes. Even got caned by Milton Suthers for skiving of cross country and going playing snooker up the Elite when it was over Redmans,bottom of St James street.
christine wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 19:43   #25

Just pcked this up I have my class pic from 55 i think teacher is Mr Davies english and art
xaccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:06   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaccy View Post
Just pcked this up I have my class pic from 55 i think teacher is Mr Davies english and art
Hi xaccy a tad early for me but some names ring beels do you remember my brother Alan Coo.
hassy rvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 19:39   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Alfred Hockett View Post
Hi Mick, I know your name and I'm pretty sure I can put a face to it; I went to Woodnook around the same time I think '53-'54 for 4 years,A stream as someone else mentioned (not that means anything) all I know Mick is that I enjoyed every day going to that school and being around some great kids and teachers. Do you remember Mr Milton Suthers, Mr Hill, Miss Tattersall, Mrs Thompson? and classmates Harry Woods , David Keeley, Stuart Garside, Anne Eccles, Margeret Tripp,Peter Cockburn etc; Do you have any old school pictures????? I moved to Canada when I was 21 and now living in Hawkesbury (about an Hour east of Ottawa) Ontario. My wife Marie and I live on a farm and operate a Bed & Breakfast and Antique shop on site. Check us out at WWW. CranberryHouse.ca
Mick it's been great chatting with you,and hope to hear that everything is great in your world.................
The kid with the red hair Alfie Hockett.
Hi John. I also went to Woodnook i remember all the names you mentioned
plus quite a few more Colin Yates was my best mate.we were both
Prefects I moved back to my native Holland in 1974 and live in a
Small village on the German border near Venlo.
great to see all those names again ,brings a lot of memories back.
Gerry van den Oever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2013, 19:57   #28

Hi Christine.
This is Mick Pettifer.I have been contacted by Gerrald Wright. Who went to Woodnook.He now lives in Holland.Lived in Garbett st.I telephoned him.He would like to contact Colin I Don't know how to help.Geralds name is on the Accy web he goes under.Gerry Van den Oever
mickp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2015, 16:26   #29

I was in Mr;Davies's class (A) steam from 1953 -57, Irene Davies was my maiden name
IRENE BAINBRIDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2015, 16:52   #30

I put a school photo in the gallery of form A with Mr;Davies
IRENE BAINBRIDGE is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..