Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Sport and Hobby Talk General chat about anything sport or hobby related.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2011, 14:25   #16
I am Band

Re: Cricket.

All matches to be played to Worsley Cup rules would make the for a more interesting game. It would also test a captain's tacticle (sic) skills rather than having one bowler bowling unchanged, throughout the innings.

At Accrington CC, the local legend that is David Ormerod, could well be bowling 20 overs a game, provided his newly aquired bionic knees hold out. It is good for the short term gain of Accy, during each particular game, but it doesn't help the development of other players, like Simon Hanson, who last season turned in some useful performances with the ball in the cup games.

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-03-2011, 14:31   #17
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Just a question, if all matches were to be played under worsley cup rules, whilst it may be ok short term, would it not hinder progress of exceptional young lads, regarding progress to county level?
Old 05-03-2011, 14:47   #18
I am Band

I doubt it, Cashy. The Lancashire Cricket Board (LCB) have their network of scouts watching the juniors from a young age. By the time they're 18 the majority of young players have appeared on the County radars.

If we are talking about young bowlers, there are very strict restrictions regarding the number of overs they are permitted to bowl in a match, and further restrictions controlling how many consecutive overs they are allowed to bowl. If you want to know the figures, I'll have to consult Moses.

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!
Old 05-03-2011, 14:49   #19
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkologist View Post
I doubt it, Cashy. The Lancashire Cricket Board (LCB) have their network of scouts watching the juniors from a young age. By the time they're 18 the majority of young players have appeared on the County radars.

If we are talking about young bowlers, there are very strict restrictions regarding the number of overs they are permitted to bowl in a match, and further restrictions controlling how many consecutive overs they are allowed to bowl. If you want to know the figures, I'll have to consult Moses.
ok cheers sparks.
Old 05-03-2011, 17:04   #20
Senior Member+

Having seen more tha a few (ahem) 50 overs LL cricket matches in my time I am well used to the tried and tested format, and to my knowledge very,very few matches go up to or past the 8pm mark. I agree that the 40/40 game is more crowd friendly, but the sad fact remains that cricket at an amateur level and in the Lancashire League is just not "sexy" or dynamic enough ! Getting anything changed with regards to rules and regs is like bashing your head against a wall as the league exec are pretty much all octagenarians or older and all averse to any kind of change or progress. I would like to see the 40/40 format with powerplays and coloured kits and all the excitement that comes with it, even bowling restrictions!
As far as Accy are concerned, the Dibber has his next op very shortly and will be back to make batsmens lives a misery this season, although given that our new captain is committed to only bowling each bowler for 10 overs a piece it could be an interesting season ( or a very long one depending on how that plan works...)
A bigger concern to me is the fact that clubs are jumping on the "paid coach" approach and in effect having an extra pro under the guise of coach, not exactly fair and the league seem powerless ( or uninterested ) in putting a stop to this. ( Though certain clubs have been surreptitiously paying players for years and got away with it)
Well, here's hoping it all pans out, that we get a decent summer, and good luck to our boys against SA tomorrow, they will need if Anderson carries on the way he is and they all field a la Keystone Cops!
Old 05-03-2011, 17:42   #21
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
Having seen more tha a few (ahem) 50 overs LL cricket matches in my time I am well used to the tried and tested format, and to my knowledge very,very few matches go up to or past the 8pm mark. I agree that the 40/40 game is more crowd friendly, but the sad fact remains that cricket at an amateur level and in the Lancashire League is just not "sexy" or dynamic enough ! Getting anything changed with regards to rules and regs is like bashing your head against a wall as the league exec are pretty much all octagenarians or older and all averse to any kind of change or progress. I would like to see the 40/40 format with powerplays and coloured kits and all the excitement that comes with it, even bowling restrictions!
As far as Accy are concerned, the Dibber has his next op very shortly and will be back to make batsmens lives a misery this season, although given that our new captain is committed to only bowling each bowler for 10 overs a piece it could be an interesting season ( or a very long one depending on how that plan works...)
A bigger concern to me is the fact that clubs are jumping on the "paid coach" approach and in effect having an extra pro under the guise of coach, not exactly fair and the league seem powerless ( or uninterested ) in putting a stop to this. ( Though certain clubs have been surreptitiously paying players for years and got away with it)
Well, here's hoping it all pans out, that we get a decent summer, and good luck to our boys against SA tomorrow, they will need if Anderson carries on the way he is and they all field a la Keystone Cops!
I think I agree with you Lindsay. Are we going to win the league again next year. A bit boring not winning owt last year.

Last edited by Bernard Dawson; 05-03-2011 at 17:44.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 19:29   #22
Senior Member+

I'd like to think we are in with a shout Bernard, but a lot of our 1st XI aren't getting any younger and although we have some good, upcoming talent, most of them aren't ready for the firsts yet. I can't imagine us getting many more seasons out of GDL and Dave O and Clarkey won't last forever, neither will Matt Wilson, they will be big, big holes to fill. Let's hope they can make this a memorable one and maybe retire on a high?
Shout out for the promising youngsters though, we have bags of talent there coming up, Bryn Hargreaves, Matt Schofield,Sam Tattersall,Jake Clarke, Jonny Hayhurstand the likes of Branks and Donners. It's not all doom and gloom by a long way!
Old 05-03-2011, 19:35   #23
I am Band

Give me 50 overs cricket and I'm happy; more time for libations.

Twenty/20 cricket is great on a Friday evening during the summer at a local level, at £2 a throw. At county level, it is not value for money once the travelling time & fares, not forgetting ever increasing entry costs to Old Trafford, are taken into consideration.

Old 05-03-2011, 20:29   #24
Senior Member+

Quote:
I'd like to think we are in with a shout Bernard, but a lot of our 1st XI aren't getting any younger and although we have some good, upcoming talent, most of them aren't ready for the firsts yet. I can't imagine us getting many more seasons out of GDL and Dave O and Clarkey won't last forever, neither will Matt Wilson, they will be big, big holes to fill. Let's hope they can make this a memorable one and maybe retire on a high?
Shout out for the promising youngsters though, we have bags of talent there coming up, Bryn Hargreaves, Matt Schofield,Sam Tattersall,Jake Clarke, Jonny Hayhurstand the likes of Branks and Donners. It's not all doom and gloom by a long way!
You're right Lindsay, some good young lads coming through. If the Pro turns out to be half decent, then we might just be in for a good season.
Old 05-03-2011, 20:35   #25
Senior Member+

Quote:

Twenty/20 cricket is great on a Friday evening during the summer at a local level, at £2 a throw. At county level, it is not value for money once the travelling time & fares, not forgetting ever increasing entry costs to Old Trafford, are taken into consideration.
That's what puts me off Twenty/20 cricket at Old Trafford. It's a lot of money to fork out for 40 overs of cricket. As you say £2 up Acc on a Friday night, weather permitting of course is about right
Old 05-03-2011, 22:00   #26
Senior Member+

Quote:

I prefer 50 overs but it's not putting bums on seats and as our knowledgeable friend from Water Street () says , we need to attract people back, and we no longer have the draw of a Viv Richards/Roger Harper/Shane Warne , I would welcome any change that pulls the people in, the problem is the League don't do change!
Old 06-03-2011, 10:31   #27
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I prefer 50 overs but it's not putting bums on seats and as our knowledgeable friend from Water Street () says , we need to attract people back, and we no longer have the draw of a Viv Richards/Roger Harper/Shane Warne , I would welcome any change that pulls the people in, the problem is the League don't do change!
I actually don't think you can turn the clock back Lindsay, the top line pros would cost an arm and a leg these days and are more likely to sign short term contracts with country sides. The other side is that this day and age kids aren't encouraged to play games any more, when I was growing up you played football and cricket in the back streets, never seems to happen now, kids are more likely to stay in doors playing computer games. Again when I was a youngster I used to go every week with my parents (ya both of them) to watch Church, which was like most LL grounds full to the brim with like minded people, just don't happen today sadly
Old 07-03-2011, 07:51   #28
Junior Member+

rumbled!
134waterst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:02   #29
Junior Member+

the frustration for most clubs is that there are so many youngsters coming to practice nights , and there are no facilities . At Acc it would be fantastic to have permanent nets (all weather) , but , this, of course, costs shackles . Cricket clubs are great for the community and for teaching young people values . Catch em young , make it fun and in time, the league would be much stronger.
I dream on , but if all works out in the future , we could have a facility to be proud of .....
134waterst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:43   #30
Resting in Peace

Just a question do they still have the indoor nets at Peel Park School, can remember going up there back in the good old days getting ready for the new season

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..