Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Sport and Hobby Talk General chat about anything sport or hobby related.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-07-2012, 12:13   #16
God Member

Re: Tory MP slags off Olympics opening ceremony!

yeah I agree macca ruined the end of the ceremony imho

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-07-2012, 12:25   #17

I liked the James Bond segment, especially when he cleared his throat to attract the Queen's attention. The pop music section when on too long for my liking, and it's getting a bit predictable using Macca to close the show, but by and large I enjoyed the opening ceremony.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 12:27   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
Idiot - this is not about sport - it's about other issues to do with politics and culture - but can't tell that to an idiot!

Don't use abuse to me mate and expect me to sit and take it - barr me if you wish I'll not bother coming back!
Neil was not abusing you; he was reiterating the rules.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 12:29   #19
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
I liked the James Bond segment, especially when he cleared his throat to attract the Queen's attention. The pop music section when on too long for my liking, and it's getting a bit predictable using Macca to close the show, but by and large I enjoyed the opening ceremony.
Seems like most people weren't impressed with Macca, although haven't seen any adverse comments in the press, as yet
Old 28-07-2012, 12:32   #20
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
I enjoyed some of it and some of it made me cringe like the representation of Britains bucolic past. The use of the hill for the flags was good though. Enjoyed the Industrial revolution and the forging of the ring - also the homage to the two world wars (read that it was in honour of Accrington Pals too so that's a thumbs up!). Think he should have left it there though and missed out the nurses! Also very telling the representation of modern Britain - a culture dominated by soap operas, mobile phones and messaging - the work ethic of the Nation has disappeared very obviously in direct contrast to the past.

The music I enjoyed when it was accompanying in the athletes - nice and speedy and a great selection. Live thought Mike Oldfield was very evocative and Rowan Atkinson/ Chariots of fire was not bad. Hated the Arctic Monkies -never heard 'em before or the Dizzy rapper. Abide with me and Jerusalem were a bit cheesy. Sir Paul could have missed out Jude too -not one I would have chosen, come back Sir Elton, all is forgiven...but then you can't please all of the people all of the time. The whole point of the ceremony was the lighting of the flame and presentation of the athletes and they were the strong points of it all for me. Oh, and I did like the bell!!!

Here in Italy it's had a mixed reaction some found it showed the British sense of auto-irony and it was applauded and others hated it. Don't think they understood a lot of it myself as there was much to take in and the Italian commentators on the TV were struggling. Even called Mr Brannagh "Kevin" which gave me a laugh!
Agree with most of that though the young lad who sang Jerusalem had a lovely voice and sang it well. Liked Sir Ken as Brunel as well.
Old 28-07-2012, 12:40   #21
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Agree with most of that though the young lad who sang Jerusalem had a lovely voice and sang it well. Liked Sir Ken as Brunel as well.
I thought it was a lass
Old 28-07-2012, 12:43   #22
I am Banned

It gives me great pleasure to say I did not watch it, nor do I intend too. Country's supposed to be near bankrupt, how much has this tripe cost the economy.
Supposed to be Olympic Games, how many of the events are actually games. Is there going to be a tiddleywink play off.
Where were these so called games held in 1012, 1112, 1212, 1312, 1412, 1512, 1612. Its all supposed to have started of in Olympia, Greece & thats where it should stay in its original format.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 12:58   #23
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Please can I remind people about Mick's posts stating that any threads about the Olympics must be in the General Sport section, any that are not will be moved here so if your thread is moved you know why.

I don't care if its about Little Chef Olympic Breakfasts, if it is about anything Olympic I will move it without telling the original poster I have moved it. I am going to stop leaving redirects as well making the place look untidy.

Can we please stop discussing where the thread should be now.
Please Neil can you not strike a deal with Blackburn 247, and direct all these Lympic bullsheite threads to their site, there are a lot of members not the slightest bit interested in all that Lympic crap.
If you can't do owt with 247, then shove it in the over 18's.
Old 28-07-2012, 13:02   #24
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Please Neil can you not strike a deal with Blackburn 247, and direct all these Lympic bullsheite threads to their site, there are a lot of members not the slightest bit interested in all that Lympic crap.
If you can't do owt with 247, then shove it in the over 18's.
Hoy 247 is an Olympic free zone, not one mention this morning
Old 28-07-2012, 13:09   #25
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Hoy 247 is an Olympic free zone, not one mention this morning
Last time I looked it was a member free zone too (you excepted)

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 13:27   #26
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Last time I looked it was a member free zone too (you excepted)
No Margaret things looked up after Jay said he was leaving, he was aways for a bit, and the membership actually increased, even to achieve over 20 posts in one day. Popeyes still banned though.
I think your new avatar should also be the new lympic symbol.
Old 28-07-2012, 13:36   #27
Resting In Peace

Quote:
I thought it was a lass
Just watched that bit again on iPlayer John, certain it's a lad. His hair's a bit long but not girlie. The boy behind him in the clip I watched looks like he's putting earplugs in!
Old 28-07-2012, 13:41   #28
God Member

Quote:
I thought it was a lass
Was definitely a boy and he did sing it well -should have been dressed as a proper choir boy though!

BTW did the choir of children change the words to the National Anthem or was it my imagination?

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 13:43   #29
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Was definitely a boy and he did sing it well -should have been dressed as a proper choir boy though!

BTW did the choir of children change the words to the National Anthem or was it my imagination?
Do tell - do we have to 'love honour and obey?'

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 13:44   #30
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
The boy behind him in the clip I watched looks like he's putting earplugs in!
Probably an iphone, no attention span these days.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..