Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Sport and Hobby Talk General chat about anything sport or hobby related.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Bob Dobson
  • 1 Post By ferret man
  • 1 Post By ferret man

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-02-2015, 11:02   #1
Senior Member+

Clayton Harriers

I have recently read an artyicle about the 3 Peaks Fell Race, held each April in the Dales since 1954. That first race had six entrants. At least two of them were local lads - Alf Case and Stan Bradshaw of Clayton Harriers I think they were both Accrington Grammar School Old Boys. Stan went on to run in 24 of these races, and Alf became an organiser. I think they are both dead now - Alf certainly is. He was found on the fells in his running kit. Both are 'legends' amongst fell runners. I hope you can tell me more about these lads. I am trying to contact the club and Ron Hill, another AGSOB who has something of a reputation in running circles.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-02-2015, 13:32   #2
I am Banned

Re: Clayton Harriers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
I have recently read an artyicle about the 3 Peaks Fell Race, held each April in the Dales since 1954. That first race had six entrants. At least two of them were local lads - Alf Case and Stan Bradshaw of Clayton Harriers I think they were both Accrington Grammar School Old Boys. Stan went on to run in 24 of these races, and Alf became an organiser. I think they are both dead now - Alf certainly is. He was found on the fells in his running kit. Both are 'legends' amongst fell runners. I hope you can tell me more about these lads. I am trying to contact the club and Ron Hill, another AGSOB who has something of a reputation in running circles.
Best to search for Clayton le Moors Harriers Bob.
Clayton-le-Moors Harriers

Incidentally isted on here is the Trawden race named after Stan Bradshaw.
There's a road race in Accy run in honour of Ron coming up soon too.
https://www.facebook.com/ronhillaccrington10k
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 14:57   #3
Senior Member+

The Ron Hill one has been I think. Stan Bradshaw came from Padiham. After starting as Clayton Harriers, the club's name became le- Moors to set it apart from other Claytons
Old 17-02-2015, 15:25   #4
I am Banned

Quote:
The Ron Hill one has been I think. Stan Bradshaw came from Padiham. After starting as Clayton Harriers, the club's name became le- Moors to set it apart from other Claytons
Ron Hill Accrington 10k 29th March 2015 starting at 10.00am you can register at Accrington Town Hall
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 15:31   #5
Senior Member+

I am running - out of breath'
Old 17-02-2015, 15:56   #6
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
Ron Hill Accrington 10k 29th March 2015 starting at 10.00am you can register at Accrington Town Hall
10k to enter? That's a bit much!

Not sure if I can borrow a Harrier now, I think we let the Yanks have them cheap.
Will a 4WD be allowed?

I remember when Ron was running in a race at AGS no one else even tried hard- we all knew the result.
Still, in a 4WD I might have a chance!
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 16:17   #7
Full Member+

didn't know Ron had name for running in circles.
ferret man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 20:41   #8
Senior Member+

As an Olympian, Ron wore a blazer with several circles on the breast pocket.
Barrie Yates likes this.
Old 13-01-2017, 20:54   #9
Full Member+

Quote:
As an Olympian, Ron wore a blazer with several circles on the breast pocket.
Is that the same as running in circles.
Bob Dobson likes this.
Old 23-02-2017, 20:19   #10
Full Member+

Hi Bob, forgot to mention last time on this site my nephew has won the three peaks race which is quite amusing to me, as when he was at school on one of his school reports it say's, when John has got changed for games he thinks he has done enough.
Bob Dobson likes this.
Old 23-02-2017, 21:18   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret man View Post
Hi Bob, forgot to mention last time on this site my nephew has won the three peaks race which is quite amusing to me, as when he was at school on one of his school reports it say's, when John has got changed for games he thinks he has done enough.
He didn't go accy tech did he? reminds me of a very similar one i got, lol i never won 3 peaks but was very good at cross country.
Old 24-02-2017, 14:18   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
He didn't go accy tech did he? reminds me of a very similar one i got, lol i never won 3 peaks but was very good at cross country.

I read this posting by Cashy last night. I have only just come round.
Old 25-02-2017, 08:42   #13
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
No Cashy, at least not in your day. Happy Birthday.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..