Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Sport and Hobby Talk General chat about anything sport or hobby related.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By dotti34
  • 1 Post By RainbowSix
  • 3 Post By taddy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-02-2020, 09:46   #1

Geocaching?

We went to visit our son, who lives in Dorset, over the weekend, and we were chatting about what to do to get some exercise and stop spending so much time in front of the telly and the computer screen.

He suggested geocaching, and said it's electronic treasure hunting. We'd vaguely heard of it before, but never met anyone who'd ever tried it.

Has anyone on here given it a go? What does it entail and how much fun would it be for a couple of over 60-year-old's like us?
pompeylass is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-02-2020, 12:07   #2

Re: Geocaching?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pompeylass View Post
We went to visit our son, who lives in Dorset, over the weekend, and we were chatting about what to do to get some exercise and stop spending so much time in front of the telly and the computer screen.

He suggested geocaching, and said it's electronic treasure hunting. We'd vaguely heard of it before, but never met anyone who'd ever tried it.

Has anyone on here given it a go? What does it entail and how much fun would it be for a couple of over 60-year-old's like us?
It must entail going outdoors and catching Geo's, (Geoffs, Geovannis, Georges), etc.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 16:14   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

never heard of it.
Old 24-02-2020, 17:26   #4
Beacon of light

I have heard of it, but don't really know much about it or how it is done.
It is good that you are considering embarking on something new....and something that will enhance your fitness.

I have just taken up yoga....and I know that is fairly sedate, but is something I have never done before....and I hope it will improve my flexibility (I am sure that someone is putting two of sand and one of cement not my spine)
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 23:27   #5

One of the members of a committee I belonged to ages ago was a very enthusiastic geocacher (not sure if that’s what they are called). He spent most of one evening’s meeting explaining what it was all about. Have to say he lost me after his first couple of sentences – too complicated for my little brain. though probably more interesting than the meeting would have been.

From what I can remember a person hides a particular object and then puts out clues via coordinates. Other people then try to find the ‘treasure’ by studying the clues. Once they find the hidden object they then replace it with a different item, and find another hiding place for the one they have just ‘discovered’.

Just for fun we gave him a very little model of a house to hide in a location here in South Australia – and within a week it had been found in New Zealand! I think it had been discovered and re-housed (pardon the pun) in several locations before landing in NZ.

It’s a sort of treasure hunt for adults who have nothing else to do – but it does get a person out and about so there are benefits. You just have to have a bit more ‘up there’ than I have, which wouldn’t be hard.. You also need a GPS-enabled device.
pompeylass likes this.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2020, 07:02   #6

Is your phone Android? search the play store and you will find lots of geocaching apps. (other phone types have them too).

you can use them to search for a nearby cache, when you find it you put your name in a book to say you found it and swap the item thats in there for another - could be a key ring - anything little like that.

The cache itself is usually found in a waterproof sandwich box type case and hidden somewhere - your task is to go find it - get to the location and use your head to think "now where would I put it?"
pompeylass likes this.
RainbowSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2020, 10:02   #7

Or Hide go seek for I phone Anoracks
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..