Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Sport and Hobby Talk General chat about anything sport or hobby related.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2021, 15:15   #1

Six Nations Rugby

I sat down in front of the Tele last Saturday afternoon with a bottle or two (or more) of Hobgoblin, to watch the Calcutta Cup match between the Auld enemies; I was expecting a good hard fought game of Rugby Union, I might as well have watched the Harlem Globe Trotters playing Basketball; The Oval ball was in the air more than it was in the hand.
If our Aussie coach wants every team member to put the ball in the air at every opportunity then at least give them a round ball to play with; What I witnessed on Saturday was not Rugby, it was a cross between Soccer and Basketball.
I hope that the England players whilst in their "Covid" bubble managed to watch the Ireland, Wales game on Sunday; (That is how the game of Rugby Union Is played lads). Get back to basics or take up golf, then you can put the ball up in the air to your hearts content.
Regards, Taddy.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-03-2021, 09:36   #2

Re: Six Nations Rugby

After watching Scotland and Ireland play Rugby as it should be played yesterday, I dispair the way Englands (new) kicking format is spoiling their game; as I said in my last post the ball in the air game is called golf not rugby.
Rant over (for now), The Luddite.
Old 01-05-2021, 10:35   #3
God Member

if only the rules of rugby union could be simplified it would make it a bigger spectator sport. at least the layman watching football or cricket has a fighting chance in knowing whats going on and able to see if some foul has been committed. in RU i have not got a real clue whats going on so either swerve watching or just turn off in the end. totally confused.com
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 12:14   #4
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

I'm with you on that one MH, can't really follow the game, but I've sat & struggled through it a couple of times while at me Dads, the owd fella enjoys it & as the long suffereing dutiful "Eldest", I'm obliged to humour him.
Old 01-05-2021, 15:28   #5

[QUOTE=monkey hanger;1253441]if only the rules of rugby union could be simplified it would make it a bigger spectator sport. at least the layman watching football or cricket has a fighting chance in knowing whats going on and able to see if some foul has been committed. in RU i have not got a real clue whats going on so either swerve watching or just turn off in the end. totally confused.com
So watch, listen and learn;I do not know all the rules but the more I watch the more I (slowly) learn.

I am as much a Luddite on the R.F.U. rules as I am with this Bill Gates's infernal machine but I am larning, (yes, I have spelt that reet).
Old 04-05-2021, 18:01   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i have tried watching league and union it just dont grab me at all. dont really want to understand it.
Old 07-05-2021, 11:05   #7

[QUOTE=cashman;1253623]i have tried watching league and union it just dont grab me at all. dont really want to understand it.

The popular idea is that Rugby Union is the sporting equivalent of Chess, where as Soccer is the equivalent of draughts, i.e, Rugby Union is a thinking mans sport.
I now await the backlash from the draught players.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..