Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Grass Roots
Donate! Join Today

Grass Roots Do you play or have an interest in local sporting events? Darts, dominoes, rugby, tiddly winks? Talk about it here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree382Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-04-2016, 08:12   #301

Re: Metal Detecting (Including Finds).

Thanks, Margaret, I really do enjoy this sort of ‘sleuthing’, it’s great fun, and at least it keeps the old brain cells working (the ones that are still left, that is). I do a lot of it when researching our family history. I find it very rewarding when things fall into place and very frustrating when they don’t!

Thankfully this time it would seem it worked out OK. I just hoped I was following the family of the soldier whose medal it actually was, and not the wrong Joseph Bond.

I agree with you that Jason and Mr. B's family will derive a lot of pleasure from this, and deservedly so.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-04-2016, 08:52   #302
Beacon of light

Dotti, it also takes a lot of patience too...and you are right about it keeping the brain cells active(I'm all for that).
I did a bit of family background research a few years ago...it was fascinating, but time consuming and at times mind bogglingly frustrating.......I did find out some very interesting things though.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 08:44   #303
Senior Member+

Morning folks,just a little update regarding the medal,I have met Dorothy and her son and returned the medal to its rightful place.

Joseph Bond joined the Grenadier Guards (22/09/1916) and was posted to the 4th battalion.
He was posted missing from the war at La Caronne,during one of the epic battles,and presumed killed in action in April 1918 but was later confirmed as a pow.He was a very brave man and awarded the British war and victory medals.

I have a few photos to share (and a bottle of wine ) but I only have access through my phone at the minute so I'll just upload them separately.

I asked if they knew who it could of ended up lost and in the ground but sadly it remains a mystery.

Dorothy and Nick also asked me to thank you all for your input in tracking them down and posting info they didn't even know about their relative.

Reuniting it with them was,as Margaret says,gold of a different kind

Attachment 52997

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb

Last edited by Accyexplorer; 12-05-2016 at 08:47.
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 09:08   #304
Senior Member+

My phones got a mind of its own so I'll just upload this one,I hope you can se it.

image.jpg

password--Accyweb
Old 12-05-2016, 10:39   #305
Beacon of light

I am really pleased that the medal has gone where it belonged. I am sure you feel very happy about it Jason......and that happiness cannot be priced.
I think this feelgood story should be in the local press.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:45   #306
Beacon of light

Jason I hope you don't mind, but I have turned this picture round so it makes it easier to view...well, if you do mind...it's too late
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image medal (640x480).jpg (158.8 KB, 17 views)
dotti34 and Accyexplorer like this.
Old 12-05-2016, 13:27   #307
Full Member+

This story belongs in the Accy Observer.
steve2qec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 13:32   #308
Beacon of light

It belongs on the North West News.....you know how the Observer can mangle a good story.
Old 12-05-2016, 13:35   #309
Senior Member+

Chuffed doesn't even come close to the feeling I got handing it over to Dorothy and her son M.
And as much as it is a great newsworthy story,due to numourus personal reasons, it won't be featuring in any of the local rags.

Thanks for sorting out the picture,I don't know what's up with my phone but it won't upload pics as I want them.

I've added one more pic of some the paperwork I received from the family but you may have to zoom in unless you can work her magic again

image.jpg

password--Accyweb
Old 12-05-2016, 13:46   #310
Beacon of light

Jason, I have worked on this picture......I am not sure how successful it is. Here goes nothing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image paperwork.jpg (195.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg image paperwork (2).jpg (276.5 KB, 9 views)
dotti34 and Accyexplorer like this.
Old 12-05-2016, 15:38   #311
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
Morning folks,just a little update regarding the medal,I have met Dorothy and her son and returned the medal to its rightful place.

Joseph Bond joined the Grenadier Guards (22/09/1916) and was posted to the 4th battalion.
He was posted missing from the war at La Caronne,during one of the epic battles,and presumed killed in action in April 1918 but was later confirmed as a pow.He was a very brave man and awarded the British war and victory medals.

I have a few photos to share (and a bottle of wine ) but I only have access through my phone at the minute so I'll just upload them separately.

I asked if they knew who it could of ended up lost and in the ground but sadly it remains a mystery.

Dorothy and Nick also asked me to thank you all for your input in tracking them down and posting info they didn't even know about their relative.

Reuniting it with them was,as Margaret says,gold of a different kind

Attachment 52997
Might be worth going back over the ground, his other medal might turn up. There were some blokes that were disappointed with what they came home to, they sometimes threw their medals away, (I hope this wasn't the case, they deserved recognition).
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 09:29   #312
Senior Member+

Even though I have combed that area already (believe me),I acted on your advice and took the detecting stick out for little hunt.

I didn't find another medal but I did find a few other bits.

The finds of note are:-

2 pre decimal pennies
2 threepenny bits
1 silver sixpence
1 silver three pence
1 silver heart charm
1 old 10p
1 bling dog bone
1 silver coloured tag item
1 knackered old pedant

image.jpg

They say "a field is never empty",the other medal may well just be hiding somewhere.

password--Accyweb
Old 13-05-2016, 21:51   #313
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

I think the thing in the middle is an ID capsule (Cats & Dogs), should be able to unscrew & the details are on a slip of paper inside.
Stevie R likes this.
Old 16-05-2016, 12:53   #314
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
I think the thing in the middle is an ID capsule (Cats & Dogs), should be able to unscrew & the details are on a slip of paper inside.
Once again I bow you your knowledge D ,looks like I'm going to be reuniting another lost item soon (assuming they want it back)

image.jpg
Stevie R likes this.

password--Accyweb
Old 16-05-2016, 13:03   #315
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
Once again I bow you your knowledge D ,looks like I'm going to be reuniting another lost item soon (assuming they want it back)
Mate, I only know because we've had Mutts that long & on occasion (the ID capsule) enabled us to get our randy scrote back from outside the house of some agitated owner who's prize pedigree Bitch was in heat & they didn't fancy a litter of mongrels.

PS. Said Scrote can be viewed here.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/b...different.html

Last edited by DaveinGermany; 16-05-2016 at 13:07.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..