Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Grass Roots
Donate! Join Today

Grass Roots Do you play or have an interest in local sporting events? Darts, dominoes, rugby, tiddly winks? Talk about it here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree382Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-11-2016, 10:00   #391
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!
Re: Metal Detecting (Including Finds).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
Thank you Dave and Retlaw - I guess he doesn't know as much as he thinks, Hahhah.
That is what makes us blokes ..... blokes!
Turtle likes this.
Old 30-11-2016, 15:38   #392
Senior Member+

Well,I managed to get out for about a hour or so shaking my stick today.
I found a few of the usual pre decimals,a bullet,pendant and a badge of some sort (possible cap badge?).

image.jpg
Turtle likes this.

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 17:00   #393
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Looking at a live 9mm (check the base to see if the primer has been struck, if it has it's a misfire, so still dangerous & if not struck it's live, certainly dangerous) & your cap badge is more likely a collar dog of the "Royal Welch Fusiliers".
Old 30-11-2016, 19:28   #394
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Looking at a live 9mm (check the base to see if the primer has been struck, if it has it's a misfire, so still dangerous & if not struck it's live, certainly dangerous) & your cap badge is more likely a collar dog of the "Royal Welch Fusiliers".
D in G. That doesn't look like any 9 mill I've seen the bullets all wrong, looks more like one o them funny auto rounds the septic tanks played with, That bullet is too round nosed & seated to deep, plus its nickel jacketed, which makes me more suspicious of what it is, we need an enlargement of the head stamp. But whad ever id is why he keeps bringing them home beats me, the cuts the best place for owt like that these days. addition --- Not being able to see it too scale the nearest thing I can remember is the WW1 .455 Webly Auto.

Last edited by Retlaw; 30-11-2016 at 19:31.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 20:31   #395
Senior Member+

The ammo I have found have all come from random parts of our town,to my knowledge, there's never been a rifle range nor is there any other logical explanation why they should be there.

The reason I remove them is that it's fairly common for dogs to sniff out where I've digging and then they have a go at digging....sadly, they don't know how to replace the soil afterwards which has lead to many heated conversations with the council and landowners.
I'm going to hand them to the police tommrow so they can get shut without potentially putting others at risk.

It looks as if it has been struck so i assume from the info it's a "misfire"?

To give a idea of scale:-

image.jpg

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 21:25   #396
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
D in G. That doesn't look like any 9 mill I've seen the bullets all wrong, looks more like one o them funny auto rounds the septic tanks played with, That bullet is too round nosed & seated to deep, plus its nickel jacketed,
I can go with that Retlaw, like you say without definition & comparison or actually having it in your hand it is a bit difficult to be exact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
The ammo I have found have all come from random parts of our town,to my knowledge, there's never been a rifle range nor is there any other logical explanation why they should be there.
Over the years our military & our allies have traipsed all over our fair Isle, it's not inconceivable to think they've lost a round or two on their ventures. Then there's also the fact that at one time the great British public were allowed to bear arms before the liberal elite decided to de-claw the Saxon so as to prevent him fighting back when they stared turning our land into a dystopian sewer to better fit their designs.

Anyways, could you put it (and other munitions) alongside a measure or such like for comparison in future? And if possible a shot of the base from where more info can be gleaned.
Old 30-11-2016, 21:48   #397
Full Member+

Glad I am still allowed to carry mine
All ours are Glock 17,19,34,42,43
DaveinGermany likes this.

Last edited by US Angel; 30-11-2016 at 21:51.
US Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 21:51   #398
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Angel View Post
Glad I am still allowed to carry mine
Good girl you!
Old 30-11-2016, 21:52   #399
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post

The reason I remove them is that it's fairly common for dogs to sniff out where I've digging and then they have a go at digging....sadly, they don't know how to replace the soil afterwards which has lead to many heated conversations with the council and landowners.
I'm going to hand them to the police tommrow so they can get shut without potentially putting others at risk.

It looks as if it has been struck so i assume from the info it's a "misfire"?

To give a idea of scale:-

Attachment 54786
There has been a rifle & pistol range at Hapton Scouts and during two World Wars there have been Troops an Home Guard all over then area, plus soldiers in both wars brought fire arms home with them even though in WW2 it was illegal, my mate told me when they docked at Dover and saw all the M.P's lined up on the quay, the only sound you could hear was splash splash splash, as stuff was thrown over the side or thro portholes.
During WW1 9mm Parabellum's or Lugers to the uniformed, were a common possesion. This is what I did to mine after that pillock blair got in power by stupid promises
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0011.jpg (349.2 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by Retlaw; 30-11-2016 at 22:00.
Old 30-11-2016, 21:55   #400
Full Member+

As hubby says don't mess with me
I shoot better then him
US Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 22:01   #401
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
This is what I did to mine after that pillock blair got in power by stupid promises
Shame that, couldn't you have got it decommissioned by a gunsmith or some such?
Old 01-12-2016, 11:38   #402
I am Banned

Quote:
Shame that, couldn't you have got it decommissioned by a gunsmith or some such?
I have the other half as well, when I did it I informed the home office, they replyed what I had done was illegal, and I could be prosecuted, I told them to go ahead any local court would take the **** out of them, as it was now totally deactivated, I then took it to Preston Fire Arms Deptmnt with my cert & the cops were delighted to amend my certificate, they were so taken up, that tey asked if they could photo copy it, they'd neer seen out like it before.
As for gunsmiths, hoody blell, are there any, when I was curator of firearms at Fulwood, they had some fire arms they were going to put on display deactivated, when they came back I was disgusted at the workmanship and I told the top man such as well, he asked why didn't I do them, I had to point out that I had no legal coverage between Fulwood and my workshop, until they were deactivated, and I couldn't isssue deactivation certificates
He once asked me to deactivate a Maxim M08 for display, I told him that Maxims, Vickers & Lewis were the most difficult, as they were designed to be field stripped, and new parts fitted on the battle field by soldiers, and cutting holes in the barrel wont work, I could fit a new barrel in less than 3 mins, He moaned for quite a while, so I stripped it down to basics & left it on the work bench, I've not been back since
Old 01-12-2016, 12:41   #403
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
As for gunsmiths, hoody blell, are there any,
Aye, see your point, that said though, I have a very good mate who is exactly that. Ex REME Armourer, he got out & got himself accredited & qualified as a "Wafen Meister" & now runs his very own business here. Not bad for a Yorkingshire lad really & when I visit his workshop I get to have a nose at & handle various weaponry.
US Angel likes this.
Old 01-12-2016, 14:23   #404
I am Banned

ut
Quote:
Aye, see your point, that said though, I have a very good mate who is exactly that. Ex REME Armourer, he got out & got himself accredited & qualified as a "Wafen Meister" & now runs his very own business here. Not bad for a Yorkingshire lad really & when I visit his workshop I get to have a nose at & handle various weaponry.
Your whats known a a lucky beggur, my old mate, Sandbags, joined up an was trained as an armourer, they wanted him to stay on as an instructor, but he werend havin any o that, there he was June 6th running across the beach with all his mates to find shelter som where, he was in his 2nd childhood when I used to pick him up and take him to Fulwood with me, he sit in a chair between racks of rifles touching them grinning like a Cheshire cat, he started fetchin a bottle of linseed oil with him and he'd spend ages wi sum owd 4x2 patches rubbing woodwork over. Poor owd Sandy he's passed on now. One ot sadest things during last 6 months he didn;t know who I was, he kept seyin who arti, sed its thi mate whizz-bang (thad were mi nickname to him) o aye I know whizz-bang bud tha nod im. Wid bin friends for oer 50 years, lifes a bastard at times.
Accyexplorer likes this.

Last edited by Retlaw; 01-12-2016 at 14:26.
Old 01-12-2016, 14:57   #405
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Your whats known a a lucky beggur,
Ain't that the truth! Shame about your mate though, good mates are oft times better than blood.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..