Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Grass Roots
Donate! Join Today

Grass Roots Do you play or have an interest in local sporting events? Darts, dominoes, rugby, tiddly winks? Talk about it here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree382Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2017, 22:27   #436
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!
Re: Metal Detecting (Including Finds).

Nope! Can't help you there AccyX, but it's nice to have you posting again & by the looks of it you've got yourself a new camera too (or you've been practising taking your happy snaps).
Accyexplorer likes this.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:06   #437
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Nope! Can't help you there AccyX, but it's nice to have you posting again & by the looks of it you've got yourself a new camera too (or you've been practising taking your happy snaps).
Observant as ever D, not to worry, someone may be able to shead some light on it for me in the future (it’s still a nice bit of local history).

I got myself one of them “smartphones”, the camera on it is very good compared to my old one.

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 13:38   #438
Senior Member+

I haven’t been out much with the old detecting stick,I did however go out with a club to area near Settle about two weeks ago.
It was it blooming freezing on the hilltops, the ground was rock solid and the bitter cold air froze my lungs as I stuggled for air.

I searched all day without finding anything of note then, as I was on the way back to the car, BOOOM my detector came alive and screeched a high pitch tone (a tone usually reserved for precious metals).
With my heart beating, and without being able to feel my fingers or toes, I dug and dug until out popped this lovely ornate thimble from about 6” down.

DF1D2122-5566-4434-940E-A8A16A015F0D.jpg

password--Accyweb
Old 29-12-2017, 14:28   #439
Beacon of light

That is a beautiful Jason.
Well worth digging for.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 16:32   #440
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Some interesting looking coins there & the last one looks like a Canadian cap badge, any info of where & when?
Yep Dave looks like one of th Canadian Scottish regimnents to me as well I have my fathers collection of WW1 Canadian Scottish, if its cleaned up I can make a comparison.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 16:38   #441
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
Most of the (medieval hammered) coins come from ploughed fields in the Lancaster area.
I went on a couple of organised digs when I was away,there was some really interesting stuff found around there (gold/silver).
The cap badge was found in a place called Lathom,Ormskirk (southport),I believe it is probably from WW1 (I may be wrong though).

Attachment 55586
If you place it on a piece of aluminium foil int sink, about 2 inch of water and chuck a bt of caustic soda in, it should look pretty good in a few minutes,
Old 29-12-2017, 16:44   #442
I am Banned

Quote:
I'm unsure mate,I can't make it out either, it's goosed and I've seen the results from going at stuff with wire wool
It looks like it's made from copper (if that helps),I'll attach another pic since your "that cat".

Attachment 55587
Take your pick this is page 6 of Brabins list
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B 6.jpg (498.5 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by Retlaw; 29-12-2017 at 16:49.
Old 29-12-2017, 16:55   #443
I am Banned

Just a few of my spares
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Canadians Board 1.jpg (534.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Canadians Board 2.jpg (541.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Canadians Board 3.jpg (545.6 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by Retlaw; 29-12-2017 at 17:00.
Old 29-12-2017, 17:40   #444
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
If you place it on a piece of aluminium foil int sink, about 2 inch of water and chuck a bt of caustic soda in, it should look pretty good in a few minutes,
I’ve given all my cap badges a light scrub and a good oiling R (I still can’t make out the No).
I had no idea there was so many similar Canadian badges.

Here is my collection.
40DF4543-4E1E-4B6F-A79F-9F83C6AA26CF.jpg

password--Accyweb
Old 29-12-2017, 17:43   #445
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
That is a beautiful Jason.
Well worth digging for.
Hi M,hope you had a lovely Christmas, it was defiantly worth enduring the conditions for

password--Accyweb
Old 29-12-2017, 17:50   #446
Beacon of light

Quote:
Hi M,hope you had a lovely Christmas, it was defiantly worth enduring the conditions for
You too Jason...and of course Mrs accyexplorer...we had a very relaxed day.

I would be very happy to unearth something that is not only pretty, but practical.
Has it any markings on it?
It would be the icing on the cake if it turned out to be a Charles Horner(famous silversmith from Halifax, Yorkshire)...but even if it isn't it takes nothing away from it.
Accyexplorer likes this.
Old 29-12-2017, 19:40   #447
I am Banned

[QUOTE=Accyexplorer;1206424]I’ve given all my cap badges a light scrub and a good oiling R (I still can’t make out the No).
I had no idea there was so many similar Canadian badges.
Those are just a few of the Canadian Scottish Regiments and Battalions, many of them were replicas of the original Scottish home land Regiments, with the word Canada or a Maple Leaf on them, The Canadian Scottish were one of the few Regiments that could get away with less than a standard batallion, of 1000 men and 36 officers, some Canadian Scotts had as few as 500 men per Battalion. I've never counted all the badges dad left but there must be well over 300. I once asked the medal collectors next to the post office about them and he offered me 1500 qud for the lot, I told him where to go, found an out of date book on Canadian badges in Accy library it only valued a 3rd of them, and that came to nigh on 4 grand, what they are worth now god only knows, I once got in touch with some Canadian collectors, but they wanted me to take them over there, I might look green bud am nod daft.
Accyexplorer likes this.
Old 29-12-2017, 20:11   #448
Senior Member+

Quote:
You too Jason...and of course Mrs accyexplorer...we had a very relaxed day.

I would be very happy to unearth something that is not only pretty, but practical.
Has it any markings on it?
It would be the icing on the cake if it turned out to be a Charles Horner(famous silversmith from Halifax, Yorkshire)...but even if it isn't it takes nothing away from it.
Me and Mrs E had a nice quite day, mainly catching up on chores etc.

It has no hallmarks, I’ve done the tinfoil and lemon juice test and I came back it’s not being silver (probably plated).
It has engraving around the base (Not English), It has DB engraved into the top (i assume this is the initials of the user) I’ve asked the landowner and they have no idea who’s it could of been.
89E0C95E-17FC-4567-8A3D-0BB938AF8649.jpeg

password--Accyweb
Old 29-12-2017, 20:17   #449
Beacon of light

Well, even if it isn't silver, it is very pretty.
It makes you wonder how it came to be lost.
I wish these kind of things could talk and tell us something about their history.
Old 29-12-2017, 21:37   #450
Senior Member+

Quote:
Well, even if it isn't silver, it is very pretty.
It makes you wonder how it came to be lost.
I wish these kind of things could talk and tell us something about their history.
Aye, like old abandoned buildings, They all have a story to tell.
I often wonder to myself how some of these items get lost, often in the middle of nowhere, I guess we can only speculate on that.

I did find a lovely 18ct gold ring the other day but it turned out to be the farmers and it was a family heirloom that he lost 4years ago while bailing hay (he was very greatful for my honesty).

E86A368C-DCE0-4E6C-9985-D776065A8FEB.jpg
DaveinGermany and Stevie R like this.

password--Accyweb

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..