Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Grass Roots
Donate! Join Today

Grass Roots Do you play or have an interest in local sporting events? Darts, dominoes, rugby, tiddly winks? Talk about it here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree382Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-12-2017, 21:04   #451
Beacon of light

Re: Metal Detecting (Including Finds).

I am sure the farmer was very relieved to have his gold ring returned to him...and hopefully you will be repaid by some interesting find.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-12-2017, 21:56   #452
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I am sure the farmer was very relieved to have his gold ring returned to him...and hopefully you will be repaid by some interesting find.
As I handed it back the farmer moved in to embrace me, I moved swiftly out of arms reach....never before has my hate for unnecessary human contact been so cruelly exposed

Anyhow, as you’ve mentioned, the feeling of returning a lost item is treasure in itself and he did give me another field to search.

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 09:48   #453
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
As I handed it back the farmer moved in to embrace me, I moved swiftly out of arms reach....never before has my hate for unnecessary human contact been so cruelly exposed
That sure sounds like some kind of authorial quote, have you been sneakily bettering yourself Mr.AccyX?
Old 30-12-2017, 12:28   #454
Beacon of light

I am not a fan of hugs(unless it is someone I know)...but I think on this occasion I might have succumbed(unless the said farmer was covered in cow muck that is).
I think he wanted to display his gratitude....felt that a man hug was appropriate, but if that made you feel uncomfortable then so be it.

As I get older(or more mature) I find myself more accepting of someone giving me a hug.
It is more expressive than a handshake...that is the domain of business men and bankers and only means they are not carrying a dagger(still doesn't mean much emotionally)
hilleluk likes this.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 30-12-2017 at 12:32.
Old 01-01-2018, 14:08   #455
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
That sure sounds like some kind of authorial quote, have you been sneakily bettering yourself Mr.AccyX?
No, I must of heard it some place, it’ll take more than education to polish this little treasure

Quote:
I am not a fan of hugs(unless it is someone I know)...but I think on this occasion I might have succumbed(unless the said farmer was covered in cow muck that is).
I think he wanted to display his gratitude....felt that a man hug was appropriate, but if that made you feel uncomfortable then so be it.

As I get older(or more mature) I find myself more accepting of someone giving me a hug.
It is more expressive than a handshake...that is the domain of business men and bankers and only means they are not carrying a dagger(still doesn't mean much emotionally)
I’m actually a fan of hugs, i believe they should be encouraged, I’m just not effectionate in that way unless I really know the person (I’m happy with a old fanshined handshake until then).

To say on topic, here is a lovely young Victoria shilling I dug up earlier before rain cancelled play.
9679E7D6-BAC1-459A-ADF6-868812900D9D.jpeg

password--Accyweb
Old 03-03-2018, 11:36   #456
Senior Member+

Just a little update, it turns out the thimble I found was “treasure”, sadly it shattered while I was trying to straighten it a bit

7EEBF342-EFA3-43E1-870A-2543B643CF22.jpeg

I sent a pic of the broken thimble to a friend who quickly sent me the link below :-

https://timelineauctions.com/lot/med...it-omnia/1372/

I contacted a local finds liason officer as required by law and this was his reply:-

“ Hi Jason, thanks for your email, it looks like a straightforward silver treasure case.
I believe the item is a post-medieval elongated silver thimble dating from 1500 to 1700AD. The thimble is incomplete now in 3 pieces originally constructed from a sheet of silver soldered along the edges attached to a separate domed top soldered to the almost straight sides. A plain band runs around the top of the body of the thimble separating the dome. Evenly spaced knot motifs are stamped immediately below this upper band. The body and most of the dome is punched with square indentations, giving a 'waffle' effect and decorated with knotted bands possibly representing strap work conjoined with smaller oval bands. On the domed top is possible an owners mark in capitals *D. J*. At the bottom of the body of the thimble is a plain silver band with an inscription. . The length is 30mm, the width is 18mm thickness 18mm and the weight is 4.46g.
Silver thimbles were used increasingly by the European nobility and gentry during the 17th Century but surviving examples are rare given that thimbles were much used and, when worn, were likely to have been melted down for their bullion value. In England, silver thimbles are documented as having been donated by women on the Parliamentary side to be melted down during the Civil War. Even later 17th Century English silver thimbles are rare, with few pieces in the national collections in The British Museum and the Museum of London. They are distinctive for their strapwork designs.” Finds officer

password--Accyweb
Old 03-03-2018, 14:47   #457
Beacon of light

That is really interesting.
It just shows that you never know unless you check out with someone knowledgable.
Accyexplorer likes this.
Old 03-03-2018, 17:11   #458

What a shame it broke while you were working on it. Is there any way you could confirm what some or all of the letters are on the inscription around the bottom? Maybe somebody make a stab at identifying it further?
Mark
Mark2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 17:17   #459
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
Just a little update, it turns out the thimble I found was “treasure”, sadly it shattered while I was trying to straighten it a bit
What a "Pisher" that turned out to be!
Old 05-03-2018, 08:31   #460
Senior Member+

Quote:
That is really interesting.
It just shows that you never know unless you check out with someone knowledgable.
Yes, like most things, it’s always worth running it past someone more knowledgable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark2009 View Post
What a shame it broke while you were working on it. Is there any way you could confirm what some or all of the letters are on the inscription around the bottom? Maybe somebody make a stab at identifying it further?
Mark
Hi Mark, the finds officer has taken the thimble so he can do his report (size,weight etc).
When his report is finished it gets sent to a coroner to make the decision that it’s treasure and not a modern lost item.

After that, it then gets offered to the British museum who either make a offer for the item or release it for public auction (this process take between 6months-2yrs ).

If and when I get it back, it will hopefully have a full report (inc inscription) and I’ll be able to update folk further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
What a "Pisher" that turned out to be!
Everydays a school mate, it’s still a harsh lesson to learn
DaveinGermany likes this.

password--Accyweb
Old 30-05-2018, 20:31   #461
Senior Member+

I managed to get out for a hour with the detecting stick earlier, I didn’t find much apart from a old penny...better luck next time I guess
38788714-EC66-44B9-9C3A-34486A6EA988.jpg
DaveinGermany and Stevie R like this.

password--Accyweb

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..