Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-10-2011, 07:25   #106
I am Banned

Re: Howard & Bullough

Just before they demolished the globe works, Groove and his friends went i for a nosey, as he ad always wondered what it was like, after waliknh past it for as long as he can remember.
groove is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-10-2011, 16:13   #107
Give, give, give member

Brief history, and some interesting links.

Howard and Bullough

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2011, 16:51   #108
Give, give, give member

and...

Spinning the Web > Overview > Search Results

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 20:00   #109

i remember the metal checks to clock in and out they was brass, coin sized old penny size, with a hole in the middle where you put them on a board with spikes on it,i think i was there about 1968 -1972 but for the life in me i cant remember any names from there, mind you i was on nights, at that time it was the best wages in accy,
janloot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 00:55   #110

Here's a pic of some of the the sign in checks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg howard and bullough check.jpg (21.8 KB, 25 views)
Pudwoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:11   #111
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudwoppa View Post
Never thought i'd see those again,nice one.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:30   #112

Hi Katex sorry for the delay.Yes I still have it(Bulloughs reg office sign) and would be happy to see it displayed somwhere. 01254 391167 if the museum ever wants it.Dave
Big Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 13:34   #113
I am Banned

Quote:
Lang Bridges checks were the same size, at Langs you had 4 checks.
No 1 was for the morning clock in
No 2 was for the afternoon
No 3 was handed in when you clocked off from overtime.
No 4 you handed over when you recieved your pay.

Bulloughs only used 3 checks.
Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 14:00   #114

So I take it the top number was the shift, and the bottom number was the employee reference? Any idea what the little sword stamp was?

I don't have any images of lang bridge checks yet; just have h&b and some stanhill ring spinning co. ones. I'll keep an eye out and share with the group as and when.
Pudwoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 14:57   #115
I am Banned

Quote:
So I take it the top number was the shift, and the bottom number was the employee reference? Any idea what the little sword stamp was?

I don't have any images of lang bridge checks yet; just have h&b and some stanhill ring spinning co. ones. I'll keep an eye out and share with the group as and when.
No 3 was employee 1550's overtime check.
Haven't clue what the sword is for, never saw that on my checks when I moved to Bulloughs in 1952.
Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 07:02   #116
Mog

I didnt work at Howard & Bullough because I left school and went down the pit. Huncoat. My Dad worked there from 1954 till about 1970 ish I remember when we were kids and my dads mate got burnt to death at work. Cant think of his name. Also remember when my dad had half of his hand chopped off about 1959. This was one of the reasons he gave me for going down the pit as H&B was a dangerous place to work in. We lived in Crown street at the time.
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 07:55   #117
Mog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mog View Post
I didnt work at Howard & Bullough because I left school and went down the pit. Huncoat. My Dad worked there from 1954 till about 1970 ish I remember when we were kids and my dads mate got burnt to death at work. Cant think of his name. Also remember when my dad had half of his hand chopped off about 1959. This was one of the reasons he gave me for going down the pit as H&B was a dangerous place to work in. We lived in Crown street at the time.
Forgot to mention my dads name. David Stevenson. Also my grandad Arthur Stevenson and grandma Leena Stevenson also worked there for a while. I also think one of my relations was an outfitter for the company. in the 40s. He used to travel all over the world with them. Spent some time in Russia, I think.
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 10:17   #118
Senior Member+

Maybe Mog's family were the reason why Stevenson St was named. My dad worked in the Charter St & 'Stevie' works. Seriously, I don't know why Stevenson St was so called. Or Charter St.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 12:47   #119
Junior Member+

My husband Colin Wood worked in the fluted roller over both Stevenson St and the Globe works he knew Mick Pettifer and remembers his father. He also knew Jim Procter and states that the apprentice School was over Stevenson Street when he went in the late fifties. The trainers were the late Arthur Lee assisted by the late Les Hindle. He also worked in the Heavy m/c shop. His foreman was Lou Abbot and Keith Irwin with Alan Pearson (used to call him big Al) his superintendant.

Last edited by christine wood; 25-02-2012 at 12:51. Reason: more info
christine wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2014, 15:03   #120

Hello everyone.

I am currently getting together the history of The Globe Works to be displayed in The Globe Centre and around the building. If anyone could help me out with any information or anything they have or know it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
EmmaMyc is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..