Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-11-2008, 10:49   #166
Resting in Peace

Re: Accy Buses............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
I would have prefered a smile.
Like always Roy you'll get what you given
Old 28-11-2008, 15:06   #167

Right folks, here we go!

I'm doing some research into when all UK bus companies finished with conductors on regular scheduled services and as yet I haven't managed to find a final date for Hyndburn, although I would imagine it would be around 1980 if it's anything like other companies. It's not when the last half-cabs were withdrawn, but when the fleet became 100% o-p-o.

As a supplementary point and having mentioned half-cabs, I read on another site that the final batch of PD3s, 166-9, were converted to o-p-o in 1972. A feature in Classic Bus some time ago reckoned only 8 companies used half-cab buses as driver only, and Hyndburn wasn't on that list, so does anyone know if they were used as driver-only buses or were the plans shelved?

Thanks in anticipation of replies!
DaveinLeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2008, 21:36   #168
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinLeeds View Post
Right folks, here we go!

I'm doing some research into when all UK bus companies finished with conductors on regular scheduled services and as yet I haven't managed to find a final date for Hyndburn, although I would imagine it would be around 1980 if it's anything like other companies. It's not when the last half-cabs were withdrawn, but when the fleet became 100% o-p-o.

As a supplementary point and having mentioned half-cabs, I read on another site that the final batch of PD3s, 166-9, were converted to o-p-o in 1972. A feature in Classic Bus some time ago reckoned only 8 companies used half-cab buses as driver only, and Hyndburn wasn't on that list, so does anyone know if they were used as driver-only buses or were the plans shelved?
Thanks in anticipation of replies!
Sorry pal but it took me fifteen minutes to reply to this thread and it was lost..............better luck next time.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2009, 16:05   #169
God Member

Accrington Transport.....I dont know the details you are seeking...sorry.

Try this link:

Accrington Corporation Transport 1907-1974

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2009, 16:43   #170
Senior Member+

I haven't read all the posts in this thread, but many of the answers to questions posed may well be in the excellent book 'Accrington's Public Transport 1886-1986' by the late Bob Rush which I published a few years ago.
Pm me if I can help.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2009, 18:55   #171
Resting In Peace

Thanks in anticipation of replies![/quote]

You are quie correct Dave, the PD3s 166 to 169 were converted but never regularly used in service. I have personally used those vehicles when I was on the Accrington buses but only as an emergency on school specials or works runnings when no O.P.O bus or conductor was available, the dificulty was that the pneumo cyclic gear selector mechanism was a lot bigger on the PD3 than the Atlantean and this prevented the driver from turning round in the seat to operate the ticket machine which in those days were T.I.M 12 manually operated. I hope I have shed some light on the subject, always happy assist.
Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:54   #172
I am Banned

Remember house up top end fern gore being a funny sky blue colour
groove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 04:08   #173
Full Member+

I remember my Mum and Uncle Bill Working on the old buses
US Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2011, 15:44   #174

There are two Accrington Corporation single deckers preserved, both working for heritage hire companies. First is ex 57, TE7870, a Dennis ES operated by Buckland Omnibus Company.

Buckland Coaches - Coach hire & Vintage bus hire

The second is ex 10, KTC615 a Guy Arab 3 operated by The Yorkshire Heritage Bus Company Ltd.

Not a Classic Wedding Car hire opt for a Vintage Coach hire.

Neither are operated in Accrington Corporation livery, in fact no. 10 is in all over ivory with black bands above and below the windows, which I think doesn't suit it.
Vodoo Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2011, 15:50   #175

In mid '80s I did 2 days a week work experience as a mechanic from colleage at Hyndburn Transport, and I wa told that they stopped using conductors in 1984.
Old 23-01-2011, 16:23   #176

Sorry I'm late with these posts. 34 to 38 weren't Bristol REs, but Seddon RU buses, with East lancs bodies. Bristol RE numbers were 25 to 33 and 39 to 42. 26, 27 and 28 were in a scrap yard as late as 30.01.10, still in Hyndburn livery. They had been there since 1987, and I think eventually scrapped in Feb 2010
Old 20-02-2011, 18:28   #177
Senior Member+

Hi, I BELIEVE this to be an Accrington ticket machine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ticketmachine.jpg (36.1 KB, 23 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2011, 19:06   #178
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Hi, I BELIEVE this to be an Accrington ticket machine.
Whereabouts will I put my bus pass ?
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 09:52   #179
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
Whereabouts will I put my bus pass ?
You don't really want an answer do you Colin
Old 24-02-2011, 18:00   #180

they are good photos of the past
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..