Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-01-2012, 13:16   #211
Senior Member+

Re: Accy Buses............

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
I remember the old Guy single deckers that used to go up Green Haworth

Like the one below.

Old 20-01-2012, 13:27   #212

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinman221 View Post
My auntie was a conductresses on the accy buses Doreen willan was her name.
So was my uncle Arthur Naylor, He was known for having the shiniest shoes and because he never got angry with the school kids on his bus!! Fond memories
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2012, 14:02   #213
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
Like the one below.

The above bus Number 10 has been fully restored. My sister has hired it for the day to take her and family to Saltaire Mill for her wedding.

Old 04-02-2012, 14:30   #214

I was a conductor on Accy buses '68/9,remember the 150 bus.Early morning sorties to H&B,English Electric and Wrist wires,before picking up the little monsters on school runs.I think in '69 we got 2 front loaders which we all wanted to work on,alot warmer and you could talk to the drivers.The single deckers we called O.M.O.(one man operated)I think we only had 4,but the old double deckers although freezing and had crash gears.....can still hear them clunk going up Ormerod st had character and served the community well......lots of happy memories and stories to tell.
steve50brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 15:47   #215
Full Member+

My hubbies uncle drove for them Arthur Rostron or Rawstron , lived at Gt Harwood. Also know Gordon Napier , he lives in Paignton now.
Greeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 14:13   #216
Full Member+

Some great memories and photos on this thread! There are far too many posts for me to read so if it's been mentioned before i apologise, but you can own your own Accy bus...see the link!
I recall having my tonsils out in Accy Victoria Hospital in 1968, and when my mum and dad came to collect me we went home on the bus. I remember the conductor giving me a ticket roll to play with, i often saw that customer friendly bloke for years after, then when they got rid of the conductors he disappeared.

Corgi OOC OM41103 Leyland PD3 ELC Accrington Bus MIMB | eBay

Corgi OOC OM41103 Leyland PD3 ELC Accrington Bus MIMB | eBay
winstanley asfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 17:16   #217
Senior Member+

[quote=Gremlin;963593]Like the one below.

Yes
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 18:20   #218
Senior Member+

My sister has just told me that she can't hire the old Accrington number 10 single decker for the wedding. It seems it will not be able to climb the steep hills on the way to Saltaire, she has to have another vintage bus instead.

It seems strange when it use to romp up Green Howarth years ago.
Old 04-03-2012, 18:21   #219
Junior Member+

The DDS&S club on the corner next to Wood's tobacconists is were they built the Halifax building society. The old club was knocked down and the cash from the site built the Brooks club. Had many apint in there, cause I played in the snooker team. Woody.
christine wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 19:46   #220
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
My sister has just told me that she can't hire the old Accrington number 10 single decker for the wedding. It seems it will not be able to climb the steep hills on the way to Saltaire, she has to have another vintage bus instead.

It seems strange when it use to romp up Green Howarth years ago.
What steep hills ?
Old 05-03-2012, 06:41   #221
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinman221 View Post
What steep hills ?
I don't know, it's just what the owner told my sister, I suppose there are a few between Todmorden and Saltaire.
Anyway he has got another similar bus which will do the trip so she won't have to walk.

I told my sister that if she really wants to go to her wedding on a vintage vehicle I will take her on the back of the 1933 Manx Norton we have.
Old 05-03-2012, 22:14   #222

[quote=winstanley asfc;975014]Some great memories and photos on this thread! There are far too many posts for me to read so if it's been mentioned before i apologise, but you can own your own Accy bus...see the link!
I recall having my tonsils out in Accy Victoria Hospital in 1968, and when my mum and dad came to collect me we went home on the bus. I remember the conductor giving me a ticket roll to play with, i often saw that customer friendly bloke for years after, then when they got rid of the conductors he disappeared.

/quote]

Just bought it......nice bit of nostalga...used to catch it on my way to Rhyddings.....1964-69

Phil
Karateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 14:53   #223
Super Moderator

Also worth picking up this one. It's about three/four times the size of the other one. A steal at £11!

Guy Arab Accrington model bus 1:50 | eBay
Old 08-03-2012, 08:58   #224
Senior Member+

And don't forget this book which has photographs of buses in all Lancashire towns as well as Accrington. They had some copies of the book in the WH Smith shops in Accy, Burnley and Blackburn but they might have sold out.
Municipal Buses in Lancashire (9781902953526) | eBay
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..