Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-03-2008, 17:44   #31
Senior Member+

Re: Holland Street

Hargh hargh , you slay me, you really do !
Old 19-03-2008, 16:34   #32
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Holland Street

Holland Street in the early fifties brings back some memories for me.

I used to go out with a girl (Rose Griffiths) who lived at number 2.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rose.jpg (155.5 KB, 24 views)
Old 19-03-2008, 18:16   #33
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
Thanks Mick, though it's horrible to see ! I guess what was mine at number 14 will be next, it's directly opposite the block they have started on ! What a shame, they werewell built little houses although you wouldn't think it to see the ease with which they can be demolished !
Aw thats sad, just been looking at the gallery all those houses have some history & memories for those who lived there, 19th century houses quite a heritage to be replaced with modern boxes with no character, tho the flip side is that once delapidated its an eyesore dependant on point of view, when i was a kid & they did a clearance in so called slum areas, tho dangerous but kids are kids & im nosey by nature, went in a few of them just to nosey at the funny old wallpaper & layouts, thinking in Lloyd Grossmans - who'd lived in a house like this, when it was in its prime.

Gets you thinking.... nice pics Mick, will you be documenting the pheonix projects before & after, tho nice to see them before they go sort of thing

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2008, 11:09   #34
Resting in Peace

I have added some more photo's of Holland st also Percival st and porter st in separate folders
http://www.accringtonweb.com/gallery...ry.php?cat=762

http://www.accringtonweb.com/gallery...ry.php?cat=779

http://www.accringtonweb.com/gallery...ry.php?cat=780

Last edited by Mick; 20-05-2008 at 11:11.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:58   #35
Resting in Peace

Just an update Holland street is no more all houses have now been pulled down.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (123.1 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (147.4 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (115.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (114.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (114.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (106.1 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by Mick; 11-11-2008 at 07:19.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2008, 20:42   #36
Senior Member+

Thanks Mick. My sister-in-law very kindly drove me there whilst I was staying in Ossy at the end of October. I'm glad they hung on long enough for me to have one last look.

Really sad.

June x

So much muck to eat before you die
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 00:29   #37

great to see all them streets , I went back a while ago to take photos before they knocked em down. I had relatives live on all them streets my old house on Blackburn rd inbetween porter and Persaval street is due to knocked down shortly. My poor old "old neighbour" Maria will have to leave soon its been her home for at least the last 4 decades that i know of.
accypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 20:20   #38

I am having trouble navigating this site so bear with me.

I am doing a history of my Edwards family who were from Stainland and settled on Holland Street in Accrington. Father, his sons, his brother were all stone masons. All were living on Holland Street in 1881. Some of these houses were still being built then.

I have several questions.

I assume this family of stone masons were building these terraces or others like them. Where did the stone come from?

What was happening that all this building was going on then?

Did my family buy these houses or did they rent?

Can anyone fill in the history for me of these terraced houses on Holland Street?

If anyone is descended from this Edwards family, I will be happy to share what I know.

Thank you.

Carole
Carole71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 21:14   #39
Senior Member+

A quick response. The street is one of a group off Blackburn Rd which were all named after the countries to which Steiner & Co of Church ( he owned the land the streets were built on) exported to. The stone would almost certainly have come from local quarries - Warmden perhaps or from as far away as Blackburn. Most would be rented I think. That was the case when I lived in Persia St in the 50s. I almost certainly took papers to this house then. What was happening ? The town was booming 1870s,80s. The date it was laid out can be obtained from Accrington library who have a ledger giving that information. ([email protected])
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 13:48   #40

Thanks, Bob. Every bit of information helps me to put together a picture of how my ancestors lived.

Carole
Carole71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 21:17   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by junetta View Post
I remember that the white house at the top was a little shop when I was a kid and the lady next door was called Annie. I also remember that there was a chap half way down who had a train set in his bedroom. No-one ever saw it but it earned him the name of 'puffing billy'.

We were on the same side of the street but in the top half. There was a Mrs Hirst who had a dog called Peggy. She never knocked but would walk in shouting 'it's only me'. Alderson, Dawson and Shorrocks are the names that I can recall.
My Gran and grandad used to have the shop in Holland St in the 30's and 40's they were called Claude and Lillian Standring.

Phil
Karateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 22:12   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karateman View Post
My Gran and grandad used to have the shop in Holland St in the 30's and 40's they were called Claude and Lillian Standring.

Phil
Photo of my Grandmas shop in Holland st. This photo of the shop window was actually on Lower Antley st, and the entrance on Holland st

Phil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan1 (190).jpg (220.5 KB, 38 views)
Karateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 22:18   #43
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Photo of my Grandmas shop in Holland st. This photo of the shop window was actually on Lower Antley st, and the entrance on Holland st

Phil
What a great photo Phil. Just reeks of the 20s/30s... if you know what I mean. Love the dog sitting to attention!
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 22:40   #44
Senior Member+

I have a photo of the same shop taken in the early sixties. IŽll scan it for you.
June

So much muck to eat before you die
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 08:35   #45
Senior Member+

Quote:

Phil
Great photo. I am annoyed that I cannot remembger the shop, but maybe it had gone by the time I was taking papers (1954-7) In 1951 Mr Standring was shown in the directory as a grocer at No 20, which is the location mentioned. I wonder if Owd'Bob's Twist was made in the allotmnents up Owd Bob's at the side of gatty Park?

I urge you to send a copy of this photo, with details, to :[email protected]
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..