Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-02-2012, 23:05   #46
Senior Member+

Re: Holland Street

Not sure I´ve done that properly but hopefully you might have a pic to look at!

I realised that it is the shop on the opposite corner to the one you posted but as I promised to upload it I thought I better had!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 17472_257363485341_697430341_4806433_1498186_n.jpg (55.0 KB, 48 views)
bernie94 likes this.

So much muck to eat before you die
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-02-2012, 23:07   #47
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Yeh done it right June.
Old 22-02-2012, 11:59   #48
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karateman View Post
Photo of my Grandmas shop in Holland st. This photo of the shop window was actually on Lower Antley st, and the entrance on Holland st Phil
That advert in the window for Jermol??... Bread of health sounds more like an ointment!!

Presume it refers to wheatgerm.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 18:47   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Great photo. I am annoyed that I cannot remembger the shop, but maybe it had gone by the time I was taking papers (1954-7) In 1951 Mr Standring was shown in the directory as a grocer at No 20, which is the location mentioned. I wonder if Owd'Bob's Twist was made in the allotmnents up Owd Bob's at the side of gatty Park?

I urge you to send a copy of this photo, with details, to :[email protected]
That would have been my Uncle, Richard Standring. I think Claude my grandad, in the photo, died in 1947 and his son Richard along with my mum ran the shop. Only Grandma lived there. She died in 1953 when I was 1.

They may have sold the shop shortly after she died as my uncle lived on Park rd and mum lived on Blackburn rd.

I remember her as a kindly old lady....Ha Ha... just kidding I was still in nappies....

Phil
Karateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 21:06   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karateman View Post
Photo of my Grandmas shop in Holland st. This photo of the shop window was actually on Lower Antley st, and the entrance on Holland st

Phil
we used to call it the "top Shop" :-)
accypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 07:53   #51
Senior Member+

accypete's posting is four years after Karateman's.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..