Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-06-2012, 22:36   #46
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: moorfield pit disaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britch View Post
Me Too,
Hello Bob, I would very much like to read this book, I live in Clayton by the canal about 500 yards from the Pit Head, if you would please send me a e-mail to Brian at Britch dot Net with your address or a contact number I will call around when convenient to you and buy a copy (assuming you are local)

kind regards, Brian Britch

oops, just seen your location, I will post you a cheque, cheers
Send Bob a P.M. mate, he may not see this fer awhile.
Old 21-06-2012, 09:18   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Send Bob a P.M. mate, he may not see this fer awhile.
Cheers Cash,
Bob is on the ball and has gotten back to me :-)
Britch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 18:33   #48

Hello Shirleya I spotted one of your earlier posts re John Macintosh.I've found out that he is my great great great grandfather…via his son Thomas, then James, then his son Robert my grandfather.
John married twice,, his second wife is known to us as Mary Hardgreaves and together had a daughter Isabella.Isabella married James law and had at least three children mary james and john.
I have no info on John before his first marriage to Isabella Redfern.We have him born c1780. Please get in touch if you think I might have info of interest to you.
paulmcnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 00:15   #49

Last year Hyndburn Borough Council held a commemoration of the Moorfield Pit Disaster by the memorial at Pilkington canal bridge on Workers' Memorial Day, Saturday 28th April. Don't know if same is planned for this year.
Judith Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 17:10   #50

My Great Grandfather on my Dad's mothers side was John Walton who survived the Moorfield Disaster and is mentioned in Tootle's book - he died in in Whittingham Asylum in 1902

He had two children Elizabeth and Nancy, Elizabeth my Grandmother was born on 20 November 1883 not quite 2 weeks after the Disaster and Nancy born September 1884

Elizabeth aged 16 married my Grandfather Thomas Charles Crossley in Dec 1899 at St Johns Gannow Burnley - TC as he was known was from a family of carters and coal merchants that had a shed by the Leeds & Lverpool Canal on Gannow Lane, Burnley

My father Kenneth was their youngest child born in May 1921 who left the area after War Service in the RAF - I am the only Grandchild born October 1947 in YORKSHIRE,

The disaster was always a distant part of our family history primarily due to the effects it had on my grandmother and her sister who were often on relief and brought up by their grandmother Nancy Stringer (nee Dearden)

Have done some research on my family tree especially the Crossley's and have often wondered if we are directly related to the Disasters youngest victim, however to date haven't found a link

Any help would be appreciated

Colin M Crossley
PZULBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2013, 14:56   #51
Senior Member+

The family who owned the Accrington Observer around this time were Crossleys. but I think it unlikely they are linked. I suggest you join the Lancashire Family History Society, even if for one year only. See their website. It is likely that the Observer would have addresses of the deceased and injured.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 18:30   #52

Thank you so much for posting these photos.

My ancestor Robert Gorton was killed in this disaster, but his name isn’t recorded on the NMRS database, so your photo of his name on the memorial proves it. I’d already sent them the church burial records showing that he was buried on the same day as five of his workmates.

The 1861 Census shows that he was a coal miner at the age of nine. What a miserable life, and death.
cworswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 10:13   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
I published Harry Tootle's book. A copy will cost £6. You will have it for ever, and there's nothing else to learn about it. No list of names will tell you the story.Harry Tootle did a good job over telling the story.
I have only just spotted this post Bob, is the book still available? if yes please let me know along with the price and postage.
Thank you, Regards, Taddy the Lancashire Luddite.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 08:30   #54
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post
I have only just spotted this post Bob, is the book still available? if yes please let me know along with the price and postage.
Thank you, Regards, Taddy the Lancashire Luddite.
I think I have a few. I need to search for them. I wil get back to you soon.
Old 11-05-2020, 09:50   #55

Thanks Bob.
Old 11-05-2020, 16:40   #56
Senior Member+

1 copy £7.50p 2 for £14 inc postage. Message me your address Taddy Pay by cheque or bank transfer or Paypal. I don't know when next I'll be over in Acc to deliver, so need to post.
Old 12-05-2020, 09:21   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
1 copy £7.50p 2 for £14 inc postage. Message me your address Taddy Pay by cheque or bank transfer or Paypal. I don't know when next I'll be over in Acc to deliver, so need to post.
PM, sent Bob, message me if it does not arrive, as you know I am still a Luuddite with this electronical messaging thingy.
Old 12-05-2020, 18:59   #58
Senior Member+

I've messaged you Taddy. Post included in the price.
Old 13-05-2020, 10:58   #59

PM for you Bob, Order on the way; Taddy
Old 22-05-2020, 08:26   #60

Book arrived, thanks Bob, Regards Mick.
Bob Dobson likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..