Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-07-2011, 08:13   #31
Junior Member+

Re: moorfield pit disaster

thanks for all those replies. Was kind of hoping to find a john macintosh on there, grandfather of james and father of thomas. Ive lost him , cant find his birth, or death. He disapeared after 1838 when he married mary walsh , his second marriage , and had daughter isabella . Thomas was his son from the marriage between him and isabella readfearn/redfearn/redfern in 1821. Thanks for all your help anyway. There is no sign of him on any census but mary seems to still say she is married on the census 1841 and 1851 until her death in 1858. Very frustrating.
shirleya is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-07-2011, 08:17   #32
Junior Member+

The men you mention becibird are my ancestors, via john macintosh. He is a mystery man and have not been able to fin d any sign of his death or burial. If anyone out there can succeed where i have failed it will be a miracle and i would be so happy. Been trying for years to find out where he went. Such a sad story about james , his grandson, committing suicide on the tenth anniversary of the disaster.
Old 21-07-2011, 08:19   #33
Junior Member+

Did you say you were connected to the james macintosh, the undermanager, or is it another james you are referring to??
Old 21-07-2011, 08:21   #34
Junior Member+

sorry, i did not finish reading all the threads. I was getting confused with my macintosh's . Apologies. Hope you managed to find the grave eventually.
Old 21-07-2011, 08:40   #35
Senior Member+

The author of the book on the disaster, Harold (Harry) Tootle, died recently after many years of ill health. An ex-miner from Huncoat, he was passionately interested in mining history. He was also a very sensitive writer of short stories, one of which I published in a magazine. His book will long be a monument to him.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2011, 09:20   #36
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
The author of the book on the disaster, Harold (Harry) Tootle, died recently after many years of ill health. An ex-miner from Huncoat, he was passionately interested in mining history. He was also a very sensitive writer of short stories, one of which I published in a magazine. His book will long be a monument to him.
Former Local Councillor as well Bob. As you rightly say Harold's book on the disaster will be a monument to him.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2011, 14:35   #37
Junior Member+

think i should buy it, maybe ill find it on amazon. I work in libraries, wonder if the library got a copy?
Old 21-07-2011, 15:04   #38
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekibird View Post
There is still a listing of the Men and Boys that died in the disaster in The Greyhound pub. It is a framed listing, a bit liked the one posted on here, located next to the ladies loo entrance.
I have done a bit of research on this as Thomas Hamriding was one of my ancestors and was also killed leaving behind a young family. Seeing as I live very near to the site and the mentioned pub, I did some reading. It is a very sad story as fathers and sons perished together and the bodies were taken down to The Greyhound in the aftermath. The landlord at the time was the son of the pit manager who died in the disaster. He too comes to a sad end as a few years after the incident he hung himself in the bar. I can't quite remember right now where I found that story but I believe it was published in The Accrington Observer. I am sure I probably found it online and when I find it again I will upload the link.
Bob, do you have any copies of the mentioned book left? I would dearly love to own one and will forward a cheque and my address asap. Thanks
A Harry & James Hamriding, both from Clayton served in WW1.
Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2011, 17:54   #39
Junior Member+

Do you have any copies left now of harry's book bob???? just mentioned it to jack nadin. He said to ask you .
Old 21-07-2011, 19:14   #40
Senior Member+

Two copies left. I will PM you.
Old 21-07-2011, 23:04   #41
Senior Member+

Shirleya, Isabella Redfearn is on my wifes family tree with John MacIntosh. I will take a look and get back to you.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 14:44   #42
Senior Member+

Re message No 40: I have found a few more .Send me a PM.
Old 30-07-2011, 18:34   #43
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by fozzwold View Post
there used to be a list on the wall in the geryhound pub .not sure if its still there.good luck
they just have a few press cuttings in a frame.... ( not much really) just read a book on this... very sad:
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2011, 19:35   #44
Senior Member+

Shirleya did you get my private message?
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2012, 20:53   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by colesy36 View Post
Hi Bob, I have only just come across this site and wonder if you have any copies of Harry's book left---------.
Me Too,
Hello Bob, I would very much like to read this book, I live in Clayton by the canal about 500 yards from the Pit Head, if you would please send me a e-mail to Brian at Britch dot Net with your address or a contact number I will call around when convenient to you and buy a copy (assuming you are local)

kind regards, Brian Britch

oops, just seen your location, I will post you a cheque, cheers

Last edited by Britch; 20-06-2012 at 20:55.
Britch is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..