Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-02-2009, 20:52   #16
Junior Member+

Re: Primitive Methodist Chapel, Accrington

Well I've certainly learnt more than I bargained for in starting this thread .........

And there was me thinking that it was a pretty boring question.

I'll have to start thinking about what question to ask next ........... and what I might find out as a result!
Mrs B is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-02-2009, 21:02   #17
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs B View Post
Well I've certainly learnt more than I bargained for in starting this thread .........

And there was me thinking that it was a pretty boring question.

I'll have to start thinking about what question to ask next ........... and what I might find out as a result!
hey always remember,whats boring to some,is interesting to others, ask whatever Mrs B, plenty on here will try n help.
Old 16-02-2009, 20:41   #18
Senior Member+

When Union St methodis Chapel was closed down in the late 50s/early 60s, the congregation, or a lot of them, moved to Whalley Rd. By this time the various divisions within the Methodist Church, such as Wesleyans, Primitives, must have unified.
I recall the name of Jimmy Ollet. He lived in Castle St I think. Went to St John's School.will be 70yrs now. A big fat lad.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 01:06   #19
Senior Member+

Not sure about this Bob but I remember Jimmy Ollett, if it,s the same person I,m thinking about didn,t he work at the gas board showrooms on St James St? I THINK I remember his obit quite a few years back, BUT I could be wrong.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 01:58   #20
Senior Member+

Forget the previous one Bob, memory returned. I did know Jimmy Ollett but it wasn,t him who worked at the gas board or his obit. Sorry about that, also to Jimmy if you see this.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 03:21   #21
Senior Member+

Primitive Methodist Chapel, Accrington

Hi photo here for you all to see.

Atarah
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Newprimitivemethodistchurch.JPG (85.5 KB, 24 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 12:06   #22
Junior Member+

I'm ever so slightly confused (but you have to remember I'm not a native).

The photograph looks more like a Weslyan Chapel than a Primitive one - certainly the Primitive ones where I grew up and around this County are quite distinctively plain, small and well, they just say "Primitive Methodist".

This looks more like a Weslyan ..........................

I am now going to
Old 18-02-2009, 13:40   #23
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs B View Post
I'm ever so slightly confused (but you have to remember I'm not a native).

The photograph looks more like a Weslyan Chapel than a Primitive one - certainly the Primitive ones where I grew up and around this County are quite distinctively plain, small and well, they just say "Primitive Methodist".

This looks more like a Weslyan ..........................

I am now going to
I agree. I wouldn't have guessed that it was a Primitive Methodist Chapel. It looks more like an Anglian church to me, especially the neo-Gothic window, and shows no sign of the usual simpler architecture normally seen.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 13:47   #24
Give, give, give member

'Methodism was introduced a century ago and the Wesleyans built a chapel in Union Street in 1807, replaced by the present church in 1845. An additional one was opened in 1866 and more recently others at Antley and Baxenden; there are also three school-chapels and a mission room. The Primitive Methodists built a chapel about 1828 and it was rebuilt in 1894; they have also another, and the United Free Methodists have one also.'

Townships - Old and New Accrington | British History Online

Old 18-02-2009, 13:50   #25
Give, give, give member

The reason it's style of architecture is so different from the norm might be because it was built in 1894, and most other Chapels were constructed earlier (?)

Old 18-02-2009, 15:02   #26
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

its certainly the church,remember it well, great photo atarah
Old 01-03-2009, 10:59   #27
Junior Member+

I was thinking I'd killed this thread and it was time for another inane question.

However, I realise there's something else bugging me slightly about this.

Accordingly to the Lancashire On Line Parish Information, the Primitive Methodist Chapel, Whalley Road was built in 1859 - so why was it necessary to build another one one on Whalley Road in 1894? I presume it replaced the first one, but 35 years wasn't long for a Chapel to be around?

Any thoughts?
Old 02-03-2009, 06:20   #28
Senior Member+

Hi, will solve this puzzle if its the last thing I do! :-)
trying to remember what I have been told. Was this the church which USED to be on the site across from Barbara Kays shoe shop in Whalley Road, Accrington. There certainly was an old church building there, which I believe was where the old Kings Hall used to be. Do you all remember a bank was eventually on the site - TSB???
will post more thoughts as they "appear in my head" tee hee
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:12   #29
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

all i know about that building was from early 50s, was then the "Kings Hall" cinema, with the "Central Billiards Hall" in the cellar, later building became "LLOyds" bank. would love to know what came before all this.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:27   #30
Junior Member+

I'm not sure whether it's great that I'm provoking the stirring of all these grey cells, or bizarre that I can just sit here on the other side of the country and just pose random questions as they appear amongst my grey cells.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..