Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2017, 20:23   #361
Senior Member+

Re: World War 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
I also have a vague recollection of Canning St in that area, Mog was brought up around yon he will verify it if he sees this.
It was a very short street - about 14 houses on each side. It was likely named after a) George Canning, Prime Minister, or (more likely b) his son Charles, who was Gov Gen of India at the time of the Indian Mutiny. He may have been known to John Hargreaves, who owned the land it was built on in 1861
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-01-2017, 22:13   #362
Junior Member+

Hi again
Thanks all for the comments. I have a few email correspondences going as well, so I'll try to summarize everything going on.
I heard back from my cousin about the photo. His father lived longer than mine, and they also remained in Pawtucket, so he heard more stories. He says Jeremiah wasn't guarding a monument, but a railway bridge. There was a fear that bridges could be bombed by "Irish sympathetic to the Germans".
I agree that lots of people seem to have settled in or near Pawtucket from the Accrington area. I've heard that the mills here had people recruiting laborers from mill towns in England. Pawtucket must have had a good recruiter in Accrington.
I was aware that William Farrington returned to Accrington in 1913. Also in March 1915. He must have missed home, or his older brothers a lot. He was visiting his brother Arthur in Burnley in 1913. I missed T Leyland as a traveling companion. I'll go back and look. His stepfather was Fred Leyland and the manifest says he was going back to mother I(sabella) Leyland.
Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 04:48   #363
Junior Member+

Hi again,
Just following up on the structure behind PC 376 Jeremiah Farrington in the photo I posted a few days ago. Unfortunately for this message board, the picture was probably taken when he was posted in the Warrington district. I believe the structure is one of the piers of the Sankey Viaduct in Newton-Le-Willows.
Newton Common to Winwick - Sankey Viaduct, Bradley Lock - Virtual Journey along the Sankey Canal
Thanks to Bob Dobson I now have his service record and another photo. He must have missed Accrington because he requested a transfer back.
Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 01:03   #364
Junior Member+

On a recent visit to a local flea market I purchased WW1service medals ,British War Medal and Victory medal named to George Edward Evans , a stoker in the Royal Navy .

Through my research I hsve determined that George Evans was born on April 12th 1888 at 4 Hood Street Accrington .His mother was Elizabeth Evans , as shown on the christening record . The 1891 census record shows George at 2 years old residing with his mother and her family grandparents and numerous uncles with the name Grindley at 4Hood a Street Accrington .

George became a tram driver in Accrington before joining the Royal Navy December 28th 1916 . He served in the ship HMS Penstemon archieving the rank of stoker 1st Class before being discharged in1919 . It is perhaps interesting that George joined the navy . I am familiar with the history of the Accrington Pals and their horrendous losses on the Somme on July 1st 1916. Obviously George did not join up in 1914 in K1 like so many local men . I just wonder about the link to the Royal Navy . Of course by 1916 many jobs previously held by men were carried out by women , this would include tram drivers .

If anyone has information about George Evans and his family , especially pictures I would be most appreciative.

Sincerely

Canuck
Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 13:12   #365
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
On a recent visit to a local flea market I purchased WW1service medals ,British War Medal and Victory medal named to George Edward Evans , a stoker in the Royal Navy .

Through my research I hsve determined that George Evans was born on April 12th 1888 at 4 Hood Street Accrington .His mother was Elizabeth Evans , as shown on the christening record . The 1891 census record shows George at 2 years old residing with his mother and her family grandparents and numerous uncles with the name Grindley at 4Hood a Street Accrington .

George became a tram driver in Accrington before joining the Royal Navy December 28th 1916 . He served in the ship HMS Penstemon archieving the rank of stoker 1st Class before being discharged in1919 . It is perhaps interesting that George joined the navy . I am familiar with the history of the Accrington Pals and their horrendous losses on the Somme on July 1st 1916. Obviously George did not join up in 1914 in K1 like so many local men . I just wonder about the link to the Royal Navy . Of course by 1916 many jobs previously held by men were carried out by women , this would include tram drivers .

If anyone has information about George Evans and his family , especially pictures I would be most appreciative.

Sincerely

Canuck

Sorry, but the only George Edward Evans in my files, enlisted in April 1915 & served in the 2nd East Lancs, was wounded December 1915, formerly employed at H & B's lived in Higher Antley St. His brother Herbert also served in the East Lancs, and was awarded the D.C.M.
I have no record of the existence of your man, his name is not shown on the Accrington Tramways R-O-H, he is not in the Absent Voters list of 1918, nor is he in the 1914 Burgess Rolls, either at 4 Hood St, or any other street in Accrington, nor can I find any Grindley's resident in Accrington, from 1914 to 1919.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 13:49   #366
Junior Member+

Thank you so much for your prompt reply
It seems strange that you could not find any record of George Evans . The archives , see below , confirm George Evans Birth and baptism , residence in Accrington and Naval service .
Regards,

Canuck

George Edward Evans - born in 1889 in Accrington Lancashire Accrington - 1891 England & Wales Census

The National Archives | Search results:George Evans K39132 Accrington

Lancashire OnLine Parish Clerk Project
Old 16-04-2017, 16:08   #367
Junior Member+

Follow up to my previous posting,

I just noticed that on the baptism record May 10th 1888 Elizabeth Evans ( mother ) is listed as residing at 93 Higher Antley Street her occupation is recorded as servant . On the 1891 census she has moved to her parents house at 4 Hood street where she and young George , whose birth year listed incorrectly as 1889 , shared a very crowded home with her siblings and parents family name Grindley . , see 1891 census . I am still at a loss as to why George does no appear on any of your records .

I live in Eastern Canada and I find it interesting that Geoge's medals ended up on this side of the Atlantic , I can only assume that a relative emigrated here at some pont . I always find it sad that hard earned medals end up in a flea market . The memory of George Evans deserves better , which is why I anpm trying to find out more about an Accrington man who served his country .

Regards,

Canuck
Old 16-04-2017, 17:49   #368
Senior Member+

Very interesting Canuck, the family actually lived at 4 Horne St Acc in 1891. George Edward Evans was born 12 April 1888 to Elizabeth Evans at 93 Hr Antley St Acc, she was single and a servant. In 1891 they lived with Elizabeth's mother Jane who had married George Grindley, also living there were Elizabeth's brothers George and William Evans and George and Jane's children Richard and Thomas Grindley.
George Edward enlisted 28th Dec. 1916 and served on the Victory as a stoker, his last ship was the Research and he demobbed July 1919. His service # was K39132.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 18:23   #369
I am Banned

Quote:
Thank you so much for your prompt reply
It seems strange that you could not find any record of George Evans . The archives , see below , confirm George Evans Birth and baptism , residence in Accrington and Naval service .
Regards,

Canuck

George Edward Evans - born in 1889 in Accrington Lancashire Accrington - 1891 England & Wales Census

The National Archives | Search results:George Evans K39132 Accrington

Lancashire OnLine Parish Clerk Project
Hi Canuck.
I've checked and rechecked again all the info you provided in your first post, and I'm still coming up zero, I find it a bit strange, after all these years spent recording all who took the Kings Shilling, that there is no record of your George in any of the 100's of sources i/ve gone through. Blooming eck I can't get over the fact I could have missed someone. I going to have to sit in the corner for ages, or shoot myself.
If I'm still here next week I'll go down the library, and search thro some of the other Burgess Rolls.
Just thinking of other possibilities, the reason why there is no record of him or the family Grindley's in Accrington just before the outbreak of war and after, they could be living outside my patch, in that case I would not know him

Last edited by Retlaw; 16-04-2017 at 18:33.
Old 16-04-2017, 18:24   #370
Senior Member+

A little more info Canuck, Elizabeth Evans married Robert Dickinson Nov3 1894 at St John's Acc, she lived at 164 Burnley Rd Acc and he lived 174 Burnley Rd Acc.
Elizabeth's father Richard Evans was deceased. By 1901 the family, Robert, Elizabeth, Edith, Geoerge G. and George Edward Evans had moved to Warrington. I have not been able to find George Edward in the 1911 census yet.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 21:28   #371
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossy kid View Post
A little more info Canuck, Elizabeth Evans married Robert Dickinson Nov3 1894 at St John's Acc, she lived at 164 Burnley Rd Acc and he lived 174 Burnley Rd Acc.
Elizabeth's father Richard Evans was deceased. By 1901 the family, Robert, Elizabeth, Edith, Geoerge G. and George Edward Evans had moved to Warrington. I have not been able to find George Edward in the 1911 census yet.
Thank you Ossy Kid for your information .

Retlaw , the the family move to Warrington explains why George Edward Evans does not appear in your records , so please don't do anything drastic . George probably joined up in Warrington although his military record archive names Accrington , the information on enlistment may have asked for place of birth . However the fact that he was born in Accrington may still qualify him for a place in your history record

With regard to the ships on which George served my information is that he served on HMS Penstemon , an Arabis class sloop , often used for minesweeping . ( I have found pictures on the Net ) I believe Victory , sometimes referred to as Victory 11 was a training
establishment , I will follow up on your information re his last ship . Discovery .

I am most grateful to both of you for your follow up to my posting .

Regards,

Canuck
Old 16-04-2017, 22:01   #372
I am Banned

Quote:
Thank you Ossy Kid for your information .

Retlaw , the the family move to Warrington explains why George Edward Evans does not appear in your records , so please don't do anything drastic . George probably joined up in Warrington although his military record archive names Accrington , the information on enlistment may have asked for place of birth . However the fact that he was born in Accrington may still qualify him for a place in your history record

With regard to the ships on which George served my information is that he served on HMS Penstemon , an Arabis class sloop , often used for minesweeping . ( I have found pictures on the Net ) I believe Victory , sometimes referred to as Victory 11 was a training
establishment , I will follow up on your information re his last ship . Discovery .

I am most grateful to both of you for your follow up to my posting .

Regards,

Canuck
Bloomin Eck Canuck, thats a relief, a con sleep a bit easier now, if I had to do that for every body born in Acc, I'd still be at in 2020 if I live that long, an am past me sell by date now, the only ones I have collected born in Acc were the lads that joined in Australia, Canada, and New Zealand, and one lad from South Africa, about 75 in all, a con go to bed now, hopefully waken up pushing blankets back, an not scratin thinside of a coffin lid.
Old 16-04-2017, 22:01   #373
Junior Member+

My error , HMS Research ( not Discovery) This may well have been the ship on which George served his last posting . Unfortunately the picture of his earlier posting did not copy but this is the information on that ship

Regards ,

Canuck

HMS Penstemon

Name : HMS Penstemon
Laid Down : 1915
Launched : 5th February 1916
Completed : April 1916
Type : Sloop
Class : Arabis
Builder : Workman Clark & Co. Belfast
Pennants :
Fate : Sold privately (Lila) 20th April 1920.
HMS Penstemon Photos for Sale
Click on the images below to see purchasing options for these photos!
To view an enlarged image click the +Enlarge Image button (where available)

HMS Penstemon, 1917.
HMS Penstemon, 1917.

Lila (ex - HMS Penstemon) 1920s.
Lila (ex - HMS Penstemon) 1920s.
Return to Ship Search Page

Go to: Forum List•Message List•New Topic•Search•Log In•Print View
Re: HMS RESEARCH
Posted by: David H ()
Date: March 09, 2008 11:59AM

RESEARCH was built at Chatham, being launched 4 December 1888 and commissioned 24 April 1889. Measured 520 tons 155 feet x 24 feet. 450 hp steam engine driving paddles - use of paddle propulsion was rather unusual at this time, it was chosen because it gave greater manoeuverability. She was armed with one small gun, a 6 pdr.

Between 1889 and 1912 she was employed surveying coastal waters around the UK. She seems to have usually been laid up at Portsmouth between November and March, and then surveying April to October.

She certainly surveyed Scottish waters - the 1892 season was spent on the west coast of Scotland and northern Ireland; 1894 to 1896 surveys of Orkney and Shetland; 1897, 1898 & again 1899 she is shown surveying north and then eastern Scotland. She seems to have returned to Scottish waters in 1906 and 1907 when she is again shown surveying the west coast of Scotland.

In 1915 she was stationed at Portland to be used as a depot ship for locally employed armed trawlers. She remained there through WW1 until paid off August 1919.
She was sold in July 1920 to be broken up for scrap.

I haven't located a picture of her on the net, but the National Maritime Museum catalogue shows they have several images of her
Old 17-04-2017, 09:37   #374
Beacon of light

It really saddens me that people can part with the medals that were won by their family member.
I think that if family members no longer want these medals there should be somewhere that they could send them to be kept...ah, but then some would want to benefit financially from these items with so much history attached to them.

Canuck, I take my hat off to you for your diligent search for the details of this man and his family.
I have just spent the weekend searching (it was a FREE weekend on Ancestry UK)for my ancestors and so I know what a mind boggling and sometimes, frustrating pursuit it can be.
Well done that man
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2017, 13:25   #375
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
It really saddens me that people can part with the medals that were won by their family member.
I think that if family members no longer want these medals there should be somewhere that they could send them to be kept...ah, but then some would want to benefit financially from these items with so much history attached to them.

Canuck, I take my hat off to you for your diligent search for the details of this man and his family.
I have just spent the weekend searching (it was a FREE weekend on Ancestry UK)for my ancestors and so I know what a mind boggling and sometimes, frustrating pursuit it can be.
Well done that man
Margaret. There are places for medals that are no longer wanted by relatives, who can no longer pass them down, Fulwood Museum has 1000's in display cases, all researched and diligently mounted with ladels, by a fellow volunteer at the Museum called Doug, when ever I turned up Doug would have been there for hours, Accrington Libray has a collection of medals and death pennies, when people give them to me they end up in the library. You'd be surprised at how many old folks who have told me, you take these, there is no one else interested, but what gets me, they have thanked me.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..