Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-02-2009, 16:26   #1
I am Banned

World War 1

As some of you may know I'm reseaching the lives of men from Greater Accrington, (now Hyndburn) who served in the first World War.
I now have the names of over 14000 men and photos of near 3000 of them.
What I can't understand is how so many men can have so few descendants on Accy Web. If any of you have any photo's, postcards, letters or diaries from that era
could you let me know.

Thanks
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-02-2009, 16:40   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: World War 1

me grandad did retlaw,but sadly you probably know more about him than i do,was only around 13 when he died.
Old 15-02-2009, 17:23   #3
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
me grandad did retlaw,but sadly you probably know more about him than i do,was only around 13 when he died.
Who was he.
Retlaw
Old 15-02-2009, 19:43   #4

My great grandad was Arnold Kay from Clayton-le-Moors. Do you have anything on him??
My mother has a photo of him in his uniform which I'll try and get a copy of if you don't have him already.
Is there a reason for you doing this Retlaw??

churchman phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2009, 20:15   #5
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchman phil View Post
My great grandad was Arnold Kay from Clayton-le-Moors. Do you have anything on him??
My mother has a photo of him in his uniform which I'll try and get a copy of if you don't have him already.
Is there a reason for you doing this Retlaw??
Hi Churchman
I have nothing on an Arnold Kay from Clayton.

I have an Arthur Kay from Rishton.

Did Arnold live in Clayton when the war started, do you know regiment and number ?.

Why am I doing it. It started some 20 years ago doing research for William Turner on some of the "Pals".

Just started collecting bits of information on other men I came across, until it developed into what it now is.

Can't stop.

Retlaw.
Old 15-02-2009, 22:13   #6
Junior Member+

Can I claim my descendancy please?

I'm afraid that I have no photos, letters, or anything, but know I had two relations who served, believe a third probably did, and have an inkling re a fourth.

I'll PM you some names to see if you have anything - and to check that my idea of Accrington co-incides with the locals!
Mrs B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2009, 22:16   #7

Deffo not Arthur.
Was Arnold Kay, was married to Annie (Riley) and had three children (one my grandmother) on his return from the war. He eventually died of respiratory problems in the mid 20's iirc. Will try and get more info for you if you like.

Old 15-02-2009, 22:54   #8
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchman phil View Post
Deffo not Arthur.
Was Arnold Kay, was married to Annie (Riley) and had three children (one my grandmother) on his return from the war. He eventually died of respiratory problems in the mid 20's iirc. Will try and get more info for you if you like.
Yes please.
Are you sure he lived in Greater Accrington at the outbreak of WW1

Retlaw.
Old 15-02-2009, 23:58   #9
Give, give, give member

I know for sure two of my great grandfathers served in the Great War.

One was Walter Jones of Oswaldtwistle, who also served in the Boer War by lying about his age, saying he was older than he was.

The other was Alfred Martin, who never recovered from being gassed in the trenches, and died ten years after the war had ended.

Both of those lived in Oswaldtwistle.

Another great grandfather lived in Accrington, by the name of Issac John Rushton. I presume he served in the war. (Issac could be spelled Isaac, I can't read my own writing.)

We've certainly photographs, medals, and other paperwork relating to Alfred Martin.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2009, 00:33   #10
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I know for sure two of my great grandfathers served in the Great War.

One was Walter Jones of Oswaldtwistle, who also served in the Boer War by lying about his age, saying he was older than he was.

The only Walter Jones I have is Pte. 235907. A.S.C. lived at 10 Oswald St Clayton.

The other was Alfred Martin, who never recovered from being gassed in the trenches, and died ten years after the war had ended.

Alfred Martin Pte. 386028 A.S.C. lived at 9 Jubilee St. Ossy. worked for Enfield Manufacturing Co.

Both of those lived in Oswaldtwistle.

Another great grandfather lived in Accrington, by the name of Issac John Rushton. I presume he served in the war. (Issac could be spelled Isaac, I can't read my own writing.)

No record of an Isaac John Rushton.

We've certainly photographs, medals, and other paperwork relating to Alfred Martin.
May I, at your convenience copy the photo of Alfred Martin for my collection of Heroes.

Retlaw
Old 16-02-2009, 00:39   #11
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
May I, at your convenience copy the photo of Alfred Martin for my collection of Heroes.

Retlaw
Yes of course. There's certainly some of him in uniform, and I think there's some of him in those blue(?) uniforms, they wore when they were sent to convalesce back home after being gassed.

All the stuff is at my family home, so hopefully I'll search it out for you this week, and pm you when I've done it.

Old 16-02-2009, 04:30   #12
Senior Member+

As I wasn,t born in Acc dist I have none but my wife has lots, here are some.
Francis Whittaker #240106 D-Oct.18,1918, we have a photo of him in uniform.
Christopher Marsden #15691 D-May.17,1915. James Dowling #10160 D-Aug.28,1916.
Jonathan Dowling #19679 D-Sept.3,1916. John W. Patterson #12267 D-Oct.23,1916.
She also lost a couple of uncles in the second WW.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2009, 08:51   #13

Quote:
Yes please.
Are you sure he lived in Greater Accrington at the outbreak of WW1

Retlaw.
Victoria Street, Clayton-le-Moors.

Old 16-02-2009, 09:16   #14
Give, give, give member

Quote:

Retlaw
I've just realised Walter Jones would still have been in Wales then, so that's why he's not on your list.

Issac Rushton I've worked would have been in his early fifties at the outbreak of war, so ditto.

Old 16-02-2009, 12:03   #15
Resting In Peace

HARTLEY, Pte. John James, 9552 (2nd Bn., Duke of Wellington's (West Riding Regt.)); s. of Matthew and Margaret Hartley of 14 Adelaide Street, Accrington; k.i.a. 23rd November 1917 (20); comm. Arras Memorial. [1, 2, 3, 4]

HARTLEY, Rifleman Thomas Howarth, 2710 (7th Bn., Royal Irish Rifles); s. of Matthew and Margaret Hartley of 14 Adelaide Street, Accrington; k.i.a. 9th September 1916 (24); comm. Thiepval Memorial. [1, 2, 3, 4]

These are my two great uncles, I never met them obviously, as I was not born until 1952.
Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..