Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-02-2009, 12:08   #16
I am Banned

Re: World War 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossy kid View Post
As I wasn,t born in Acc dist I have none but my wife has lots, here are some.
Francis Whittaker #240106 D-Oct.18,1918, we have a photo of him in uniform.
Christopher Marsden #15691 D-May.17,1915. James Dowling #10160 D-Aug.28,1916.
Jonathan Dowling #19679 D-Sept.3,1916. John W. Patterson #12267 D-Oct.23,1916.
She also lost a couple of uncles in the second WW.
Jonathan Dowling Pte. 19679. 6/7th Royal Scots K.I.A. 4-9-1916.
Age 23 worked at Blythes Chemicals
Widow and 3 children at 6 Tattersall St Os.
Mother lived at 46 Havelock St, Os
Buried in Contalmaison Cemetery

James Dowling Cpl 10160 2nd East Lancs
enlisted age 18. K.I.A. 28-8-1916 age 26.
Mother lived at 46 Havelock St, Os.
Treasured possession a Queen Mary gift box which stopped a German
bullet. Mother lived at 46 Havelock St, Os
Buried in Vermelles Cemetery
Another brother serving. Have'nt identified him yet

Retlaw

Last edited by Retlaw; 16-02-2009 at 12:18.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-02-2009, 12:31   #17
I am Banned

[quote=ossy kid;680707]As I wasn,t born in Acc dist I have none but my wife has lots, here are some.
Francis Whittaker #240106 D-Oct.18,1918, we have a photo of him in uniform.

Francis Whittaker Pte. 240106. 1/5th East Lancs formerly Pte. 1477. 1/5th. died 18-10-1918. buried in St Sever Cemetery France.
age 22 awarded the D.C.M. widow lives at 130 Whalley Rd C-l-Moors.
worked at Howard & Bulloughs. Four brothers in the army.
I have a picture of Francis, but he's not in uniform.
May I at some time copy your picture.

Chris Marsden Pte. 15691. 2nd Royal Scots.
K.I.A. 17-5-1915 age 26.
Son of Christopher & Margaret Marsden
Widow Catherine Marsden
No known grave. Le Touret Memorial
Not on any Local War Memorial

Christopher Marsden #15691 D-May.17,1915. James
Old 16-02-2009, 12:58   #18
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
HARTLEY, Pte. John James, 9552 (2nd Bn., Duke of Wellington's (West Riding Regt.)); s. of Matthew and Margaret Hartley of 14 Adelaide Street, Accrington; k.i.a. 23rd November 1917 (20); comm. Arras Memorial. [1, 2, 3, 4]

HARTLEY, Rifleman Thomas Howarth, 2710 (7th Bn., Royal Irish Rifles); s. of Matthew and Margaret Hartley of 14 Adelaide Street, Accrington; k.i.a. 9th September 1916 (24); comm. Thiepval Memorial. [1, 2, 3, 4]

These are my two great uncles, I never met them obviously, as I was not born until 1952.
Ive got those two in my files. I lived in Hargreaves St not far from where their parents lived.

Do you have any pictures of your uncles.

Retlaw.
Old 16-02-2009, 15:23   #19

Have you got a website of these details Retlaw? To aid genealogy searches??

churchman phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2009, 16:16   #20
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchman phil View Post
Have you got a website of these details Retlaw? To aid genealogy searches??
No I've tried to make a web site but I can't get it to work as I want so gave up. I wanted to make it like burnleyinthegreatwar.

Websites cost money and take up a lot of time.
I've still got a 2 year backlog of work on what I'm doing now.

Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 16-02-2009 at 16:26.
Old 16-02-2009, 17:23   #21

Have sent you a pm Retlaw

Old 16-02-2009, 21:54   #22

Have sent you a PM Retlaw
Tetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2009, 22:04   #23
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetti View Post
Have sent you a PM Retlaw
Nowts turned up yet and time has gone by.

Must have gone into the blackhole.

Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 16-02-2009 at 22:06.
Old 17-02-2009, 12:08   #24

Hi Retlaw,
My mum is gonna mail me photo's of A. Kay and other details which I'll forward. She also provided me with a couple of other names who died during the war.
One is a Walter Riley from C-l-Moors who was kia but his body was apparently never found. My mum seems to think from the date it was the Somme.
There is also a Richard Heys who lived on Dill Hall Lane. He died of Dysentry on board a hospital ship.
Like I said she's going to forward all she has to me but if any of that helps in the meantime!!

Old 17-02-2009, 16:39   #25
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchman phil View Post
Hi Retlaw,
My mum is gonna mail me photo's of A. Kay and other details which I'll forward. She also provided me with a couple of other names who died during the war.
One is a Walter Riley from C-l-Moors who was kia but his body was apparently never found. My mum seems to think from the date it was the Somme.
There is also a Richard Heys who lived on Dill Hall Lane. He died of Dysentry on board a hospital ship.
Like I said she's going to forward all she has to me but if any of that helps in the meantime!!
Phil.

Kay. A more that one

Richard Heys Pte. 3598. Amb Sectn R.N.D. R.M.
Son of Richard & Susan Kay, of Waterloo ST C-l-M husband of Isabella 167 Church Lane, Church
died of enteric fever Aug 31st 1915
his name is on 5 memorials

Walter Riley Pte. 21642. S.W.B.
Son of Mr & Mrs Thomas Riley
Husband of Margaret Ellen Riley 67 Henry St, C-l-M
K.I.A. 11-8-18 no known grave
Ploergsteert Memorial Belgium

Retlaw.
Old 17-02-2009, 16:50   #26
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Ive got those two in my files. I lived in Hargreaves St not far from where their parents lived.

Do you have any pictures of your uncles.

Retlaw.
Sorry no photos of Uncle Tom and Uncle John, the photos I have were taken much later 1930s, 40s.
Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 16:51   #27

Cheers Retlaw!

The A Kay is Arnold Kay who I mentioned previously.

Old 17-02-2009, 17:53   #28

Hi Retlaw, would love to know anything re. my uncle Joseph Greenwood - lived at 30, Harwood Road, Rishton with father John Richard and brothers Jack and Harold. My dad said Joe joined the Pals and was sent to Egypt, and I have a button which was sent to my dad - it's black and has a crown over a posthorn.
ossylass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 17:53   #29
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
May I, at your convenience copy the photo of Alfred Martin for my collection of Heroes.

Retlaw
Spent an afternoon looking through family papers.

One photograph of Pte. Alfred Martin in uniform, and two photographs of him in the blue convalescent's uniform whilst at Redburn Hospital in 1917. One being a named group of three soldiers and two nurses, the other a large group of men and staff outside the hospital.

We have his call up papers from the reserves in 1916, when he was aged 37, and his papers when he was discharged from the R.A.S.C. MT. in 1919.

There's also letters my great grandmother wrote to fight for him to be eligible a war pension, as he was totally bed ridden after the war.

It was eventually accepted by the War Pensions Office that his disabilities were due to war service, and a pension was granted nine years later in 1928. He died four years later. My great grandmother was eventually awarded a small War Widow's Pension, after more wrangles with bureaucracy, who eventually agreed that his death was due to serving in the war.

Even though all this was way before I was born, these are my granddad's parents, and it was sad reading through all the papers relating to this time.

Even though he was one of my paternal great grandfathers, we've been sat in tears reading some of the letters. Even though my mother isn't a blood relative, as the child of a soldier killed before she was born, she knows first hand how much of a struggle it was for the widows of warfare.

I'm happy we are a family that have managed to keep so many photographs and papers together. In themselves they aren't of any great importance, but together they form a very vivid historical picture of our past, and I'm very proud of Alfred Martin, and his widow Betsy.

I'll pm you, and you are very welcome to copy the photographs and papers I've found, if they are of interest to you.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 20:19   #30
Senior Member+

Giving credit where it is due, I place on record my appreciation for the work that Retlaw has done over the past twenty years, much of it with the late Bill Turner. Without their digging, knowledge of our Accrington ancestors at the time of the First World War would be far, far less than it now is. I have received the benefit of his work, and so have lots of library users - and now so have some Accyweb users. Do please send him details of your ancestors, and photos to go with their names. When the time comes for the centenary of the founding of the Accrington Pals and of the 1st July 1916 centenary to be commemorated, it will be made far easier because of the work - several hours every day - that Retlaw has put in, and future generations will reap the knowledge that he and Bill have sown.

I feel sure that I am joined by the staff in the library in saying this.
dexydog likes this.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..