Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-11-2009, 12:44   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: Alma Inn Baxenden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampman View Post
Thanks for that input every bit helps!
It cost £1,300 .. is a mention in the Jubilee book, but doesn't say where it was... just within the borough. Sure someone on here will know.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-11-2009, 12:49   #17

I have it on the 1909 map as being situated next to the Railway Line about half a mile from the junction of Manchester Road and Hollins Lane.
Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2009, 12:59   #18
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampman View Post
I have it on the 1909 map as being situated next to the Railway Line about half a mile from the junction of Manchester Road and Hollins Lane.
Wonder if the building is still there then ... and bother, went into the 1911 census ... pulled up an Infectious Diseases Hospital in Accrington ... didn't give the blooming address !! However, have the name of the disinfector and caretaker ... LOL.
Old 29-11-2009, 13:10   #19
Resting in Peace

The enumeration district was 11 ... Haslingden. Not too sure how to sort this one yet though..
Old 29-11-2009, 13:13   #20

I have the 1901 census I will have a look in a little while.As for if anything remains of the site I will have a look on Google Earth to see.
Thanks
Old 29-11-2009, 21:14   #21

if ypu look closely in the fields off hill st, you can see the footprint of the hospital.i think i`m right with the location though i have`nt been round there for years.it`s definatly near hollins school.
scoot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2009, 21:44   #22
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoot66 View Post
if ypu look closely in the fields off hill st, you can see the footprint of the hospital.i think i`m right with the location though i have`nt been round there for years.it`s definatly near hollins school.
Yes, think you are correct Scoot .. have found it on an old map, and just trying to line it up with Google:-

smallpox hospital 2.jpgSmallpox Hospital.jpg

Seems to have been in the wood according to the overlay.. but that can't be right can it ? Mind you, may have planted trees after it was demolished.

Smallpox Hospital google eartch.jpg

Atarah, where are you ? .. Bet you know all about this ..
Old 29-11-2009, 22:58   #23
Resting in Peace

Checked the coordinates, it was here :

Smallpox Hospital google eartch.jpg
Old 30-11-2009, 09:08   #24

That seems spot on!(Pardon the pun) It seems strange they would build an Isolation Hospital so near to the railway and habitation.
Old 30-11-2009, 18:37   #25
Resting in Peace

Not sure what this means Lampman, but he could have been the Landlord in 1916

'12/02/1916 Richard Howarth Half A Century Of Licensing Administration In Accrington, New Accrington Alma Inn, Manchester Road Baxenden'

Would have to look at the newspaper article to confirm.
Old 30-11-2009, 19:01   #26
Senior Member+

Katex has forgotten to say that she is talking about an Accrington Observer article (of 17.2.1916) Available on microfilm in the library. I think this article mentions several pubs and their landlords.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2009, 19:14   #27
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Katex has forgotten to say that she is talking about an Accrington Observer article (of 17.2.1916) Available on microfilm in the library. I think this article mentions several pubs and their landlords.
Yeh, that's the one Bob .. LOL.

Do you think they were just meetings or something or summat to do with the landlords? A few entries say the same for different pubs. Can't quite sort it out, until I get the chance to take a look at the actual article.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:07   #28

Thanks for that Kaytex,now that the new licencees are in the pub no doubt some of the locals will be able to supply further information.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:42   #29
Senior Member+

If you contact PC Les Sholliker at Accrington Police Station, he may be able to help by looking at the pub's file. He deals with licensing matters 01254 353702
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:26   #30

Thanks for that Bob.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..