Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2010, 20:45   #16
God Member

Re: Accrington Cemetery Records

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
Ive tried that link a few times now but it keeps saying webpage cannot be found?

Best Regards - Taggy
Theres a / instead of a .
Try this
Credit Card Form LFHHS

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-02-2010, 21:25   #17
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.S.H View Post
Theres a / instead of a .
Try this
Credit Card Form LFHHS
Cheers, ive got it from that!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:48   #18

Would anyone be able to do a lookup in the Accrington Cemetery Records CD for me.
I have a transcribed List myself, purchased a few years ago on the surname Barnes only.
I am trying to find the Burials of -
THOMAS BARNES born abt. 1814 who died between 1881-1891 Occup. Grocer, wife SUSANNAH BARNES nee Kenyon b. 1817 who died between 1881-1891.
Son JAMES BARNES died unmarried between 1871-1881, born abt. 1842.

There is a very similar Family listed in Section: DJ Grave No. 3612, but Wife's Christian name is Sarah on my List......

Could someone please see if it could have been a transcribing error or indeed whether the above couple are listed therein.

Thank you so much,
Barnsie
barnsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:33   #19
Senior Member+

Morning Barnsie. Have found this one
T BARNES died 21st Oct 1889 aged 75 - makes him born 1814
wife Susannah died 23rd June 1883 aged 65, makes her born 1818
and their son JAMES died 26th May 1873 aged 31

This is grave entry no 4409
Atarah
ossy kid likes this.

Last edited by Atarah; 07-06-2013 at 08:36.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:15   #20

Gosh Atarah, I think you've found them.......thank you so much.
I've been searching for this grouping for weeks and certainly not in my collection from Cemsearch.....but as I said, I got it quite a few years ago and the Listings may have been updated.........
Thank you so much, I had double checked my Census listings and the various Indexes and MI's I purchased again years ago and they were not among them......
In fact, the family was from the NJ Church, but they were not in their listings either.
By the way, this Thomas Barnes was the brother of William Barnes, Accy. House.....and mentioned in William's Will in 1864..........
Perhaps I'd better buy that CD myself.....there may be some further surprises therein.

Cheers,
Barnsie
Old 07-06-2013, 09:50   #21

I have just tried to purchase the Accrington MIs CD online at the LFHHS, only to be stopped at the delivery and postage page.......so I have emailed the Store Owner to see if a postage charge can be authorised to Australia. Hopefully I can get a copy of this valuable piece of FH........some time soon.
Barnsie.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:05   #22
Senior Member+

Hi Barnsie, if you want a CD, let me know and I will purchase one for you from LFHHS. Its worth the cost (think about £10) will find out for def.
Atarah
Beautiful day here.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 16:17   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Hi Barnsie, if you want a CD, let me know and I will purchase one for you from LFHHS. Its worth the cost (think about £10) will find out for def.
Atarah
Beautiful day here.
Atarah
I have 2 copies at home if you want one of those. Let me know if you struggle getting one.
anzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 20:26   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariam82 View Post
It would be amazing if we could have all this info free. However - if you're able to go along the office at the cemetery are very helpful regarding burials if you have time to wait.
Cemsearch also have a payable service giving grave details for accrington.
Maria
When researching my family in Accrington Cemetary I was struggling to find a particular grave (after literally hours of traipsing the rows!) and went into the office where they helped me very quickly. I had the dates of death and birth and the full name and from there I was surprised to find that my ancestor was indeed buried but had no headstone!! Its well worth popping into the office if you need help!!
bekibird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2018, 18:23   #25
Junior Member+

Hello everyone,
this a very interesting thread for me, mainly as I am trying to find information about my sister's grave. She was stillborn but would have been called Theresa Costello and I have a coffin maker's receipt, which states that she was laid to rest in grave no. CA 542. I have done a search but cannot find any details relating to the burial or to CA 542. I now live in Somerset so it's not so easy to check personally, although I would love to know that she has a plot and it is still there. If it is then maybe I shall travel up, just to see the plot, and maybe spend a few moments with her.

cheers

Mike
Norahs Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2018, 18:39   #26
Junior Member+

Further to my previous message (unable to edit due to time lapsed), the invoice is dated 24 January 1950 so I would presume that the internment would probably have been a week either side of that date. I also have the paid receipt which is dated 27 April 1950 but I think the invoice date would be nearer the correct date.

Mike
Old 29-09-2018, 19:53   #27
Beacon of light

Index of /wp-content/uploads/2015/01/
Not sure if this will be of any help.
This is a plan of Accrington Cemetery......there is a section marked CA.....but no numbers on it.
I am wondering if the plot you are searching for is in this section.

I have looked at the plan of the Clayton le Moors cemetery and there is no section marked with the reference letters CA.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 29-09-2018 at 19:57.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2018, 15:00   #28

Hi Mike,I have had a look round today and found the general area of your sister`s grave.

The whole CA section has very few markers or headstones,I found CA 376 on one of the

large headstones topped with a cross which is top right of the plot.

My feeling is she is buried in the shade of the trees,a lovely setting.

Steve.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180930_141852.jpg (1.84 MB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20180930_141535.jpg (1.54 MB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20180930_141538.jpg (1.63 MB, 8 views)
Stevie R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2018, 15:31   #29
Beacon of light

Steve, you beat me to it.
I had planned to go up there tomorrow to check on whether I had got it right, and to take some picture.
I am touched by your thoughtfulness.
I know that Mike will be very appreciative of your kindness and your efforts.
It IS a lovely spot to think your baby sister rests in.
Stevie R likes this.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 30-09-2018 at 15:36.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 16:51   #30
Junior Member+

Hi Stevie,
Apologies for the late response, I've been away and only had limited internet access. Thank you very much for taking the time to visit the cemetary, and especially for taking those photo's. I shall add them to my family history file and I shall also send copies to my sisters, who live in South Africa, as I know they would want to see where Theresa is laid to rest.

All the best

Mike
Stevie R likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..