Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-01-2010, 11:56   #1
Senior Member+

Accrington Cemetery Records

The Lancashire Family History & Heraldry Society(LFHHS) have just published a CD which lists all the monumental inscriptions in the cemetery. They start in 1864 and go up to 2009. In this period, 61,000 burials took place there. The inscriptions also cover those who died on foregn soil. Cost £9.50 plus p&p

Post & Packing; UK £1.10 for one. Overseas airmail £2.10. Multiple copies attract cheaper rates.

Card payments OK. Download a form:- www.lfhhs.org.uk/ccform/htm

Cheques made out to LFHHS and sent to LFHHS, 2 The Straits, Oswaldtwistle, Accrington BB5 3LU
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-01-2010, 13:06   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Accrington Cemetery Records

LOL Bob .. think the link has died.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2010, 20:17   #3

Link correction

LFHHS CDs for Sale
TubbyLes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2010, 22:57   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

jeez thought the cemi was doing a disco.
Old 27-01-2010, 19:13   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
The Lancashire Family History & Heraldry Society(LFHHS) have just published a CD which lists all the monumental inscriptions in the cemetery. They start in 1864 and go up to 2009. In this period, 61,000 burials took place there. The inscriptions also cover those who died on foregn soil. Cost £9.50 plus p&p

Post & Packing; UK £1.10 for one. Overseas airmail £2.10. Multiple copies attract cheaper rates.

Cheques made out to LFHHS and sent to LFHHS, 2 The Straits, Oswaldtwistle, Accrington BB5 3LU
Sorry, Bob, but I'm a little confused - do the records list only those whose names are/were inscribed, or all of the people buried in the cemetery? Thanks.
davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 21:20   #6
Senior Member+

Hi, the CD is of gravestone inscriptions ONLY - but all credit to those who did all this work for free, in their own time, for future generations.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 21:41   #7
Senior Member+

Atarah beat me to it. How great it would be if the names of all those reposing in the cemetery could be freely available - not fogetting those who have been cremated since the crematorium opened.
Old 28-01-2010, 20:35   #8

Smile Re: Accrington Cemetery Records

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Hi, the CD is of gravestone inscriptions ONLY - but all credit to those who did all this work for free, in their own time, for future generations.
Thanks to yourself (and Bob) for your quick replies, and of course I agree that it's marvellous that all of this info is made so easily available to us. I reckon that I'll send for a copy of these records anyway, because I'll probably find something of interest.
Old 29-01-2010, 01:58   #9
Senior Member+

A must for everyone involved in geneology, can,t wait to get my copy. Well done to all those involved.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 10:40   #10
Senior Member+

One of the girls behind this CD, Kath Hargreaves, is soon to start taking parties on a tour of the cemetery, pointing out the graves of prominent Accringtonians. One of those which gives a a kick is the one erected to the memory of one of our early mayors, Eli Higham. It is close by the crematorium front door, just to the right when looking at Burnley Rd. His wife, son and daughter are also in the grave. On the side of the fine memorial it says....also Our Eli.(his son) I cannot stop thinking about the stooge, 'Our Eli' used by comedians Jimmy James and Hylda Baker . Hylda looked at him, standing there gawmless and said, "He knows ya know"
Old 31-01-2010, 00:02   #11
Senior Member+

Is there a Cremations record up at the Cemetary whereby you could find out the date of someone's cremation just by supplying the name?

Best Regards -Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2010, 00:58   #12
God Member

I think but not to sure of it Taggy that all cremations are noted in the "Book Of Rememberance", sure you could find records somewhere. Maybe a phone call to the relevant people would help you find the answer. But after watching "Heir Hunters" on BBC1 I'm sure anybody with serious enquires about deaths and so forth could get all the info they needed quite easily.
Old 31-01-2010, 10:23   #13

It would be amazing if we could have all this info free. However - if you're able to go along the office at the cemetery are very helpful regarding burials if you have time to wait.
Cemsearch also have a payable service giving grave details for accrington.
Maria
Mariam82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 20:04   #14

Smile Re: Accrington Cemetery Records

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post

Hi Bob, Got my copy and am delighted with it. Thanks for this post.
DavidF
Old 12-02-2010, 21:29   #15
Senior Member+

Ive tried that link a few times now but it keeps saying webpage cannot be found?

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..