Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2012, 19:09   #346
Junior Member+

Re: Spire farm development

Thanks for the information about Field House Farm, Retlaw. We used to see a woman outside the house sometimes. She could have been the mother of the boys you knew.
The college on Sandy Lane wasn't built when we first lived in the area. There was a field where it stands now, and we watched haymaking in late summer. I don't know who the field belonged to.
JoanR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-11-2012, 20:07   #347
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanR View Post
Thanks for the information about Field House Farm, Retlaw. We used to see a woman outside the house sometimes. She could have been the mother of the boys you knew.
The college on Sandy Lane wasn't built when we first lived in the area. There was a field where it stands now, and we watched haymaking in late summer. I don't know who the field belonged to.
That field was rented out to Bulloughs, they used to bring the Shire horses from the stables on Scaitcliffe St, to that field every Friday evening till early Monday Morning, we used to wait for them at the bottom of Adelaide St and the drivers would pick us up and put us on their backs till we got to the field. The horses really looked forward to it, they charged round like mad once they were untethered.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 17:56   #348

My dad Clifford Holt, as a boy, lived at number 11 Washington Street. From there he had a paper round which included either Spire Farm or High Riley Farm, or both, I can't remember now.

I worked out this must have been around 1935 or 1936. His round involved the Plantation Street area.

When he got to the top of Plantation Street he would walk up to the farms, hand the farmer his paper, get on the farmers' horse and ride it bare-back down the lane to the bottom field to graze, and then finish his round before going off to school at Woodnook.

The farmer gave him special permission to do this and he was very proud of the chance to ride a horse.

Last edited by pompeylass; 03-11-2012 at 18:00.
pompeylass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 20:28   #349
Junior Member+

Horses played an important part in the life of the town at one time. We got milk from one of the farms up Sandy Lane and it was delivered by horse and small cart. The driver was a man called Jim. My mother took a jug out to the cart, and Jim used a ladle to fill it from one of the large round containers. There was a small step on the back of the cart and he let us ride along on it for a short distance. That was the closest I came to a horse.

I didn't know Bullough's rented the field where the college is now, and I don't remember the horses. There was a high stone wall around the field.
JoanR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 21:22   #350
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanR View Post
Horses played an important part in the life of the town at one time. We got milk from one of the farms up Sandy Lane and it was delivered by horse and small cart. The driver was a man called Jim. My mother took a jug out to the cart, and Jim used a ladle to fill it from one of the large round containers. There was a small step on the back of the cart and he let us ride along on it for a short distance. That was the closest I came to a horse.

I didn't know Bullough's rented the field where the college is now, and I don't remember the horses. There was a high stone wall around the field.
That was along time ago, before WW2. The only farmer I can recall delivering milk from up Sandy Lane was Tom Kemp from West farm, he had a proper milk float, the horse used to press its nose on our door bell, mother used to give it a carrot or an apple.

Last edited by Retlaw; 03-11-2012 at 21:26.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 22:18   #351
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
That was along time ago, before WW2. The only farmer I can recall delivering milk from up Sandy Lane was Tom Kemp from West farm, he had a proper milk float, the horse used to press its nose on our door bell, mother used to give it a carrot or an apple.
There was one of the farmers who had Spire farm who delivered his own milk , his name was either Hardy or Leach my mum worked for him on the farm and the float.
Old 04-11-2012, 19:31   #352
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
People who do not put their dogs on leads when asked to do so by land owners are totally iressponsible . If they get their dogs shot for casing distress to farm animals it is their fault. They are not dog lovers.
But what if the dog come across a farm animal on a public path, could the blame be put on the dog owner or the farm owner?

Quote:
Has anyone been through Spire Farm recently. We went through at the weekend when Mr Foy had done his alterations as requested by the footpaths office. It was very muddy as could be expected with his machines and all the rain. Someday I hope that the path will be dried up and a pleasant walk again.
Was up last week, didn't seem that bad, was muddy and not as eye pleasing as I remember it. Not seen the new build at the bottom before how long has that been there?
Old 04-11-2012, 19:32   #353
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Mr D*** View Post
But what if the dog come across a farm animal on a public path, could the blame be put on the dog owner or the farm owner?

Was up last week, didn't seem that bad, was muddy and not as eye pleasing as I remember it. Not seen the new build at the bottom before how long has that been there?
The bottom of where?
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 19:49   #354
Senior Member+

Quote:
People who do not put their dogs on leads when asked to do so by land owners are totally iressponsible . If they get their dogs shot for casing distress to farm animals it is their fault. They are not dog lovers.
Quote:
Has anyone been through Spire Farm recently. We went through at the weekend when Mr Foy had done his alterations as requested by the footpaths office. It was very muddy as could be expected with his machines and all the rain. Someday I hope that the path will be dried up and a pleasant walk again.
Quote:
The bottom of where?
Spire farm. Say coming up from the cobble path, stables and another building, it's a while since I have been up that way so it could have been there a while.
Old 04-11-2012, 19:51   #355
Senior Member+

Quote:
Spire farm. Say coming up from the cobble path, stables and another building, it's a while since I have been up that way so it could have been there a while.
Do you mean that on the right hand side just past were you walk up to the lodges. If so it is supposed to be a stud farm
Old 04-11-2012, 20:01   #356
Senior Member+

Quote:
Do you mean that on the right hand side just past were you walk up to the lodges. If so it is supposed to be a stud farm
That's the one. Supposed to be?
Old 04-11-2012, 20:07   #357
Senior Member+

Quote:
That's the one. Supposed to be?
There never seems to be anyone around. I think it's called Blair Stud Farm
Old 27-11-2012, 17:03   #358
Senior Member+

Re: Spire farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Yes some one applied for planning permission to rebuild as a stable, but when they came to inspect, it was fitted out inside as a dwelling, then the fight started. don't know the outcome. I think you will find Sandy Lane has changed quite a lot this past few years a lot of the lane has been washed away between Higher House & Leafield no road maintainence since the bypass went in its now easier to come down Sandy Lane from the bypass than it is to go up. The bottom bit from Ascot Way to Higher house could do with some maintainence, but who will fund it. ?.
Thanks for the photo that is what it looked like before!
Oh yeh thanks - that makes sense that since the 70's that road has been washed away by rain and lack of maintenance.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 17:51   #359
Senior Member+

From Newhouse it is impassable unless you drive a 4 X 4
Old 06-01-2013, 21:48   #360

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhfoy View Post
thank you for your comments although they are from someone who as never seen a building site in their life, the land for your information were the manure currently is is my land so you must have made up your flytipping point, we have a bigger problem with diseased dog mess all over my land and lane, and our animals being killed and attacked and the usual idiots not doing what the law states. Vandalism is another shallow quote with no substance in this remark, all the gear with no idea, again limited knowledge but i suppose you are jack of all trades and master of non, but claim you are.... Please feel free to call and see me for a tour of our great historical home and you never know you might give me some fantastic ideas, and being a working class man done well for himself, i have a great ability to listen and learn.!!!!!!!!!!!!
i totally agree with walkinman221 and everything he says about the state of spire farm and the footpath. The perfectly good dry stone wall he mentions was about 75 yds long and 6ft high. I wouldnt like to think how much it would cost to build a wall like that these days, only an idiot would knock it down and replace it with a cheap wooden fence.
As for the manure pile at the side of the footpath, what an eyesore. Maybe someone will slip on the slime that has encroached onto the footpath and maybe sue

Last edited by Neil; 07-01-2013 at 06:23. Reason: *'s in quote
disco is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..