Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2016, 09:07   #31

Re: Shoulder of Mutton, 6 Cross Edge, Green Haworth

I'm a new member, researching for a book about my father, Rev. James Butterworth - a.k.a. JB - who grew up in Rough Hey and was a boy preacher at Green Haworth before opening a famous Youth Club in London. JB didn't drink at the Shoulder himself, being a strict Methodist, but his grandfather James Duckworth - better known as 'Owd Doc' - did, and by all accounts he was quite a local character and well known. This would be in the late 19th C and beginning of the 20th.

The only story I have of Owd Doc's exploits is that was returning home one night from the pub, the worse for wear and without lights on his trap. Knowing that the local constable would be on the lookout, he put the horse in the cart and got between the shafts himself, in the hopes of avoiding a fine. When as expected the policeman stepped into the road and enquired what he was up to, he replied: ‘Talk to t’driver’.

Owd Doc was married to Ellen Cunliffe, and they had 10 children. If anyone has memories of this family, esp. OD himself I would be very interested to hear.
Butterworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-11-2016, 11:21   #32
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterworth View Post
I'm a new member, researching for a book about my father, Rev. James Butterworth - a.k.a. JB - who grew up in Rough Hey and was a boy preacher at Green Haworth before opening a famous Youth Club in London. JB didn't drink at the Shoulder himself, being a strict Methodist, but his grandfather James Duckworth - better known as 'Owd Doc' - did, and by all accounts he was quite a local character and well known. This would be in the late 19th C and beginning of the 20th.

The only story I have of Owd Doc's exploits is that was returning home one night from the pub, the worse for wear and without lights on his trap. Knowing that the local constable would be on the lookout, he put the horse in the cart and got between the shafts himself, in the hopes of avoiding a fine. When as expected the policeman stepped into the road and enquired what he was up to, he replied: ‘Talk to t’driver’.

Owd Doc was married to Ellen Cunliffe, and they had 10 children. If anyone has memories of this family, esp. OD himself I would be very interested to hear.
I've heard a similar story, but this one was Bunny Barnes coming down Manchester road near where the fire stn would be built, Bunny lived at the first house in Pinch belly row
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 13:35   #33
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
I've heard a similar story, but this one was Bunny Barnes coming down Manchester road near where the fire stn would be built, Bunny lived at the first house in Pinch belly row
My late father-in-law used to talk about Bunny Barnes. He was a childhood friend of Bunny's son Gilly Barnes and was at Bunny's bedside when he died because the family were too upset to be present.
steve2qec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 13:51   #34
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve2qec View Post
My late father-in-law used to talk about Bunny Barnes. He was a childhood friend of Bunny's son Gilly Barnes and was at Bunny's bedside when he died because the family were too upset to be present.
I knew Gilbert well he was acouple o years older than me. I also knew the older brothers Bunny, Doddy, Emanuel, and James, think the older brothers hadn't visited their father in donkeys years, James had served with the Accrington Pals after the war he worked at Bulloughs, Gilbert was a late comer to the family when you consider Jame was old enough to serve in WW1, I think the last of the Barnes's I saw was Emanuel he came to visit my father some years ago probably 1n the late 1960's, Gilbert was then living some where in Clayton.
steve2qec likes this.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..