Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2011, 19:41   #1
Junior Member+

coach house, ascot way (broad oak fold)

Apologies if this has been discussed before - I have searched and can only find the odd reference.
Can anyone please help with any historical information about the Coach House on the corner of Sandy lane and Ascot Way? Am interested in anything at all to do with this building and would be very grateful for responses
Thanks
pilki is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-04-2011, 22:19   #2
I am Banned

Re: coach house, ascot way (broad oak fold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilki View Post
Apologies if this has been discussed before - I have searched and can only find the odd reference.
Can anyone please help with any historical information about the Coach House on the corner of Sandy lane and Ascot Way? Am interested in anything at all to do with this building and would be very grateful for responses
Thanks
Do you mean the house thats for sale, in what was orignally Broad Oak Fold, if so it was never a Coach House.
Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 03-04-2011 at 22:28.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 22:36   #3
Full Member+

I'm sure it has Coach House engraved on a stone and the ground floor looks like it could have been stables at one time. Might it not have belonged to Broad Oak House in the past?
steve2qec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 22:57   #4
Senior Member+

Hi, you mean this? "Fold" represents a number of small farmhouses and cottages, originally grouped together for mutual defence. A mighty oak tree once stood in this fold, hence its name.

Believe was once Estate offices and other buildings for Broad Oak House
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Broad Oak Fold.jpg (307.3 KB, 162 views)

Last edited by Atarah; 03-04-2011 at 23:03.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 23:02   #5
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve2qec View Post
I'm sure it has Coach House engraved on a stone and the ground floor looks like it could have been stables at one time. Might it not have belonged to Broad Oak House in the past?
There are lots of buildings with plaques on them that are wrong. The house in Broad Oak Fold that has a garden facing Sandy Lane, was the home of the chauffuer for the owners of Braod Oak House.
That was back in the 1930's, I knew the chauffuer & his son, there were no engraved stones then, remember all that area has been tarted up since then, especially when they built Ascot Way, before then it was farm land.
Retlaw
Old 03-04-2011, 23:05   #6
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Hi, you mean this? "Fold" represents a number of small farmhouses and cottages, originally grouped together for mutual defence. A mighty oak tree once stood in this fold, hence its name.

Believe was once Estate offices and other buildings for Broad Oak House
Thats the picture I was looking for, the house on the extreme right was where the chauffuer lived, his name was Mr Crow, his son was David Crow. When that picture was taken it was still a working farm.
You can now see how much the area has changed since the 1930's, when people look at it these days, they assume it has always been like that.
Heres an even earlier picture.

Retlaw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Broad Oak Fold.jpg (373.2 KB, 154 views)

Last edited by Retlaw; 03-04-2011 at 23:15.
Old 03-04-2011, 23:16   #7
Senior Member+

and here is a rear view I took a few years back
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SandyLane12thJune05.jpg (124.8 KB, 126 views)
Old 03-04-2011, 23:23   #8
Senior Member+

Love the coloured photo you have just submitted Retlaw. I believe it to be one of the many done in the 1930's by students of Accrington Art School on Blackburn Road.
Old 03-04-2011, 23:24   #9
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
and here is a rear view I took a few years back
That wall was'nt there when I used to drag my sledge past there on my way to Macalpines field, when I were a lad. It had a nice garden front, and the rest was a Hawthorn hedge all the way to Leemings Pad
Retlaw
Old 04-04-2011, 08:21   #10
Junior Member+

Thank you for your responses, particularly the pictures - it's really interesting to see what it used to look like.
The name of the house - engraved on the wall - is "Coach House" but we are just trying to establish exactly what purpose it was built for and when, as the building seems to be really well known in Accrington, but everyone we speak to seems to have their own ideas of its history! Very grateful for any further information, especially if anyone can date the building for us
Thanks again
Old 04-04-2011, 16:50   #11
Senior Member+

Re the painting shown on posting no. 6 by Retlaw. I was quite chuffed to find out today that it was done by Mr Gerard de Rose, an Accrington artist who became very well known, and as mentioned in another post, painted many famous pop stars in the 1960's. Good Accrington library for informing me of this!

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...rose-5363.html
Old 15-03-2012, 12:54   #12

Hi there I have just joined this forum and seen your questions about Broad Oak and I was born there at my grandmas farm. It was a working farm and the big Oak Tree was in the grounds of the farm. Mrs Crow was my godmother and she lived in what was similar to a big coach house nearby. There was the farm with many farm outbuildings and also a cottage where the Charnleys lived. All this was set in grounds which were enclosed. I spent many happy years there as a child. Hope this fills some more information for you. I don't think I have any photos of this from my childhood as my parents must have kept them.
maryemmanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 13:17   #13
I am Banned

The house on the extreme right in post 4, is where the Crow's lived, David Crow their, son was a mate of mine back in the 1930's. They were related to the Crow's who had the Joinery Business in South St..

Last edited by Retlaw; 15-03-2012 at 13:21.
Old 15-03-2012, 16:06   #14
Senior Member+

I think that in the end of the 1800s, a man called Ashworth lived in one of these houses. He was buildings manager for Broad Oak & the Hargreaves.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2012, 20:45   #15
Junior Member+

Thank you for the additional replies. We still havent managed to date the Coach House - it doesnt show on any census information as it wasnt originally residential, so we are still hoping that someone may come up with a definitive date. In the meantime, thank you for your responses

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..