Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2012, 19:14   #46
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Woodnook Improvement Scheme 2012 With Photos

I have been asked to rename and move this thread to here. I am sure you will all find it as I have left a redirect from the Photo section
Old 16-07-2012, 10:32   #47
Junior Member+

Margaret - that's very kind of you to take the time to show me this, really helpful. I will give this a try with a few more photos in the next few days.

Ellerby
Ellerby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2012, 14:26   #48
Beacon of light

You are most welcome. I reckoned that it would useful to more than just you.
I remember how I struggled to upload pictures when I first joined in the dim and distant past. It took very little time and effort.
I am looking forward to seeing what you might have up your sleeve for this once lovely,but now very run down area. I grew up there, and my dear old Ma still lives there.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2012, 19:25   #49
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
I lived on Hudson Street 70's early 80's and can't think of anyone who rented in those days..the photo of the area as it is now made me gasp.. ok it's many years since I was there but how on earth can it have got so bad?... the homes are not council house stock but how can any council in the country allow an area of it's town become totally run down and to be blunt a complete slum?
edit: South Street still looks half decent.. but has been said god help the people that are living there.. the whole area is a disgrace to Hyndburn Council!
If a Council Evicts someone, they are legally bound to find them other accomodation. Hyndburn Council will accept any old rubbish, as they did with all the evicted rubbish from Manchester and all the Travellers, who regularly held street fights (although they did have a referee) Hudson Street Ocupants will have witnessed them often. An elderly intimidated neighbour will sell their property at a vastly reduced rate to the scum Landlords who promptly put in more rubish and before long they own the whole block.
then collect several years worth of Housing benefit and haggle over the price of a compulsory purchase.
cmonstanley likes this.
Odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 08:44   #50
Senior Member+

Just found this site by pure accident. Although it is out of date, it just shows what type of information IS available on the computer, if you just know where to look for it.
Page 4 does actually mention the Woodnook improvement.
http://www.hyndburnbc.gov.uk/downloa...hbourhoods.pdf

Any updates yet Mr Ellerby?
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 02:03   #51
Full Member+

My dad used to live at 44 Nuttall St
US Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2012, 22:18   #52
Senior Member+

Letters now sent out to folk in the "area" of Woodnook, explaining what will be happening.
The Council has made Woodnook its priority Regeneration Area. Phase 1 will include the refurbishment and remodelling of 89 properties between Augusta St and Booth St, but .. NOT SOUTH STREET. Why on earth has South Street been missed off. The properties on that street are also classed as "being on the wrong side of the churchyard", so what happens to those folk?
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 10:53   #53
Junior Member+

Hi everyone, sorry I've been a bit quiet lately, it's a very busy time planning the refurbishment of the properties in Woodnook. Thanks to June and Margaret for bringing the newsletter posted on Hyndburn Council's to peoples attention.

I thought people might like to see some of the photos we've taken over the last few months, capturing the physical impact these empty homes have on communities; whilst not exactly positive pictures, they are quite striking, and will be a good reference point once properties are remodelled and refurbished.

All being well, you should see the start of on-site activity by December of this year, but please do keep your eye on the Hyndburn Council site for updates via the newsletter as I won't have time to answer questions via this forum and there are contact details on the newsletter which people can use.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AAA_9514.JPG (246.4 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg AAA_9533.JPG (211.7 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg AAA_9618.JPG (206.8 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg AAA_9628.JPG (363.0 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg AAA_9636.JPG (471.1 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg AAA_9760.JPG (436.7 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg AAA_9770.JPG (146.7 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg AAA_9772.JPG (223.4 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg AAA_9774.JPG (206.7 KB, 42 views)
Ellerby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 12:07   #54
Resting In Peace

Lack of parked cars on those streets makes for an even more eerie feeling to the photos. We have got so used to seeing lines of cars at the side of the road, but this is how the streets must have looked when the houses were built.
Old 28-09-2012, 12:34   #55
God Member

I noticed - no litter
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:09   #56
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin View Post
If a Council Evicts someone, they are legally bound to find them other accomodation. Hyndburn Council will accept any old rubbish, as they did with all the evicted rubbish from Manchester and all the Travellers, who regularly held street fights (although they did have a referee) Hudson Street Ocupants will have witnessed them often. An elderly intimidated neighbour will sell their property at a vastly reduced rate to the scum Landlords who promptly put in more rubish and before long they own the whole block.
then collect several years worth of Housing benefit and haggle over the price of a compulsory purchase.
I see a pattern forming here, first they trash an area in Manchester and they all move into the Hudson St area and do the same. The area gets so bad that the council has to do something and buy up the properties from landlords who have paid buttons for the houses. Of course the scum tennants have to be re-housed
The same is now happening in the Avenue Parade area of Accrington, street fights, drug pushers and unexplained house fires all forcing the price of the housing down. The same landlords that owned houses in Hudson St are now trying to buy up homes in Graham Jones Peel Ward for very low offers and then moving in more of these scum. I'm so angry that this is allowed to happen time and time again.
cmonstanley likes this.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 15:35   #57
Resting In Peace

Woodnook used to be a good place to live, I lived there for 20 years, left in 1970. Makes me sad when I see it now.
Old 03-12-2012, 16:52   #58
Senior Member+

There are too many areas of our town run down by unscrupulous landlords
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 17:38   #59
Resting in Peace

Was this the last letter then ? Seems good to me.

http://www.hyndburnbc.gov.uk/downloa..._July_2012.pdf
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 18:37   #60
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
There are too many areas of our town run down by unscrupulous landlords
Exactly, but they must be laughing when the council say "they will take a tough line on landlords who refuse to take care of their properties", ha ha, a £500 fine for a house that has been empty for 12 years, real tough.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (83.6 KB, 22 views)

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..