Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2011, 11:30   #1
Junior Member+

Jacob Hargreaves - born 1812, Accrington

Hello

I am hoping someone from this website may be able to help me with my family history research.

I am tracing back along my fathers line and have got as far as the birth of Jacob Hargreaves in 1812 in Accrington. This information came from a census search and his birth certificate is not available because records only began in 1837.

I would like to try and find out who his parents were. For this I would need to either visit the church in the area he was born to search through parish records (however, I don't know which church this would be) or possibly visit a local Family History centre where they may have a copy of all the churches parish records, is there a centre such as this in Accrington?

Perhaps someone else has a link to this relative in their Family Tree?

I hope someone can help.

Many thanks,

Wendy
WendyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-10-2011, 11:35   #2
Junior Member+

Re: Jacob Hargreaves - born 1812, Accrington

PS - if it helps to locate the church, I have the following further information from the census results:

Registration District:
Haslingden

Civil Parish:
New Accrington

Address:
Bank Street, New Accrington, Accrington
Old 06-10-2011, 11:38   #3
God Member

There are many named Hargreaves in this area.
If you publish more info from the census address you found him at, it might help someone identify which of the many Hargreaves families he belonged to.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:57   #4
Junior Member+

Thanks Margaret.

Here goes:

Jacob Hargreaves married Mary Robinson 1834 in Clitheroe
Children: Benjamin, William R, Mary A

William Robert Hargreaves (born Liverpool 1849) married Sarah Jane Nightingale
Children: William Robert, Henry Edward, Martha A, Millicent, Benjamin, Jacob, Ada, Alice, Fred, Patience and Florence

Lots more info if needed!

Thanks,

Wendy
Old 06-10-2011, 13:21   #5
Senior Member+

The Benjamin Hargreaves referred to is NOT the industrialist/town benefactor as he was born 1806. Even as far back as 1812, Bank St would not be a home for wealthy people.

There is such a family histsory centre as you seek,. It is in Ossie but only for the use of members of the Lancashire Family History Society . Look at their website. I suggest you join, even if for one year only. One of the committee of the Hyndburn branch, which meets in the library, is Kath Hargreaves. She is a whiz with family searching. I suspect there may be other members with Hargreaves' in their tree.

A MUST is to visit Accrington Library. Ask for John or Kath as they have the best knowledge of what is available.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 13:43   #6
Junior Member+

Thanks for your helps, that's great. I will try and contact Kath Hargreaves.

Most of my ancestors were quite poor with many working in the cotton mills, so what you say does not surprise me!

In the meantime, if anyone else has any connections to Hargreaves, do please let me know.

Wendy
Old 06-10-2011, 13:54   #7
Resident Waffler

Hi Wendy, not sure if you know but your Jacob Hargreaves was back living in Accrington in 1871 with his wife Mary and the youngest child, Mary Alice, then aged 20. They lived on Wellington Street in the Christchurch area. It may be a longshot but there could be some records of his family at Christ Church itself.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 14:06   #8
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyP View Post
Hello

I am hoping someone from this website may be able to help me with my family history research.

I am tracing back along my fathers line and have got as far as the birth of Jacob Hargreaves in 1812 in Accrington. This information came from a census search and his birth certificate is not available because records only began in 1837.

I would like to try and find out who his parents were. For this I would need to either visit the church in the area he was born to search through parish records (however, I don't know which church this would be) or possibly visit a local Family History centre where they may have a copy of all the churches parish records, is there a centre such as this in Accrington?

Perhaps someone else has a link to this relative in their Family Tree?

I hope someone can help.

Many thanks,

Wendy
Vising the Churches will not work, none of them now have registers of that eara. Jack Broderick transcribed a lot of them copies of which are held in Accy Library.
I indexed most of them up to 1800, the Altham ones to 1837, Church Kirk to 1800, and St James's to 1812.
There were only 3 Hargreaves's baptised at St James's in 1812, two were called John & the other was Henry.
That leaves you with Church Kirk, I think Accy library is your best bet.
There is another possibility reading the posts again, the address Bank St is mentioned, possibility, they could have attended the Swedenborgs on Abbey St before they built the New Jerusalem. Have'nt a clue where their records are.

Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 06-10-2011 at 14:12.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 14:11   #9
Junior Member+

Thanks for that info, I think I have the census results for that year, I will check. Its certainly worth a search at Christ Church, which I didn’t even know existed because I am don’t live in the area! So many thanks for that.

Wendy
Old 06-10-2011, 14:15   #10
I am Banned

Quote:
Thanks for that info, I think I have the census results for that year, I will check. Its certainly worth a search at Christ Church, which I didn’t even know existed because I am don’t live in the area! So many thanks for that.

Wendy
Its no good going to Christ Church, it didn't start operating till 1841, very few churches hold any of their old records now, most of them are at the P-R-O in Preston.
Retlaw.
Old 06-10-2011, 14:19   #11
Junior Member+

Thanks, I shall visit the library.

I think I will plan my visit carefully. Are there any of the old houses left on Bank Street? Would be nice to take a look.

Wendy
Old 06-10-2011, 14:28   #12
I am Banned

Quote:
Thanks, I shall visit the library.

I think I will plan my visit carefully. Are there any of the old houses left on Bank Street? Would be nice to take a look.

Wendy
Most of the buildings are now shops in the bit from Little Blackburn Rd to Warner St, most of the remaining part of Bank St, to Black Abbey St has gone.
Retlaw.
Old 06-10-2011, 15:16   #13

Have you tried using rootschat.com - the lancashire forum section - very often other people can try and help you. I assume your birth records came from the Lancashire parish records online website ?? This is also invaluable. If you cant trace your 'jacob' - can you get clues from any of his siblings ? There is also the family search website which is useful.
regards
Maria m
Mariam82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 17:23   #14

Quote:
Thanks Margaret.

Here goes:

Jacob Hargreaves married Mary Robinson 1834 in Clitheroe
Children: Benjamin, William R, Mary A

William Robert Hargreaves (born Liverpool 1849) married Sarah Jane Nightingale
Children: William Robert, Henry Edward, Martha A, Millicent, Benjamin, Jacob, Ada, Alice, Fred, Patience and Florence

Lots more info if needed!

Thanks,

Wendy
Hi Wendy
Can you tell me how you proved back to Jacob Hargreaves and Mary Robinson in Clitheroe.

Three Children Benjamin, William Robert and Mary Alice were all born in Accrington but the mothers maiden name was Roberts and as she came from Liverpool you could have a look a the marriage between Jacob Hargreaves and Mary Roberts which took place in Toxteth Liverpool in 1840.
Have you purchased any birth certificates or have you just done this research via the internet and census details.
anzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 18:06   #15
Junior Member+

Wow thanks thats really interesting since William Hargreaves's middle name is Roberts and I thought it was a misspelling! I cannot remember how I got to Mary Robinson, I think it might have been through internet searches, where did your information (which sounds correct to me) come from?

Wendy

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..