Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-11-2011, 12:08   #16
Resting In Peace

Re: New Book; Edwardian Accrington Observed

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
I ordered it on ebay yesterday. Should be here early next week then I will be able to let you know.
Book arrived by Royal Mail this morning, ordered on ebay the day before yesterday. If you are reading this Richard Crossley thanks for such prompt service, delivered to my partner Richard in Morecambe.

Now beware - although a paperback, this book is heavy thanks to its 200 odd pages of good quality paper (no jokes about light reading please!). There is a lot of text and the photos are quite small and incidental but on a quick flip through it looks like an interesting read, in bite size chunks thanks to being a weekly column.

As befits a feature for ladies there are quite a lot of weddings but also a great deal about the musical life of the town - which was thriving.

Just as today, there are gripes - especially about the lack of electric trams, the need for baths in Accrington, and the stink from the river.

A book to dip into and enjoy at leisure until your arms get too tired to bear the weight. Thank you Richard for putting it together. I must say I do remember Ladies Chain in the Observer when I was young (50s/60s).
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-11-2011, 12:13   #17
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Are you a masochist or what, who the ell wants to read that tripe, woman about women, giving them bright ideas. Go to library put one of the old observers into the micro viewer, and have a read, then see if you want to read the rest.

Retlaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
No am just interested to see if they are Dumb or Dumber back then. but the Librarys a good idea.
It's not really about women, more as the title says an Edwardian lady's observations of Accrington life.
Old 26-11-2011, 12:16   #18
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Are you a masochist or what, who the ell wants to read that tripe, woman about women, giving them bright ideas. Go to library put one of the old observers into the micro viewer, and have a read, then see if you want to read the rest.

Retlaw
Sorry Retlaw for being personal, but why do you haveto shout all the time? it really gets on my nerves.
Old 26-11-2011, 12:41   #19
I am Banned

I think it sounds quite an insightful look at Edwardian Accy. Thanks for the info Suzie.
groove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2011, 12:52   #20
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove View Post
I think it sounds quite an insightful look at Edwardian Accy. Thanks for the info Suzie.
Spot on Groove, once again.
Old 26-11-2011, 12:58   #21
I am Banned

Quote:
Sorry Retlaw for being personal, but why do you haveto shout all the time? it really gets on my nerves.
I'm not shouting, its just easier to read, in internet speak this is SHOUTING.
Any way how can something get on your nerves, nerves are the message carriers to the brain, like electric wires in your house, carrying a message to put the light on.
Is it any better for you in, or in, this colour.
Ariel Black is best for me. If you don't like it put me on your ignore list, I don't mind.
As I spend more hours than you on computers, I'll stick with whats best for my eyes, not yours.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2011, 13:12   #22
Resting In Peace

Quote:
I'm not shouting, its just easier to read, in internet speak this is SHOUTING.
Any way how can something get on your nerves, nerves are the message carriers to the brain, like electric wires in your house, carrying a message to put the light on.
Is it any better for you in, or in, this colour.
Ariel Black is best for me. If you don't like it put me on your ignore list, I don't mind.
As I spend more hours than you on computers, I'll stick with whats best for my eyes, not yours.
Retlaw.
OK point taken, thought you would say something like that. No offence meant. But please keep to black.

Asa matter of interest what makes you think you spend longer on computers than I do?
Old 26-11-2011, 13:55   #23
I am Banned

Quote:
Asa matter of interest what makes you think you spend longer on computers than I do?
Researching the lives of the Accrington Pals, over 4000 men served in the 11th Battalion East Lancs,
Plus all the men from Greater Accrington who served in WW1 August 1914 to October 1919, 14400 odd of them, you try finding out where they were born, who their parents were, which school they went to, which pub they supped in who their mates were, wives, children, if they died where and when, where they are buried, any photographs of them for the displays, When I eventually get up in a morning, take my pills, read the paper having a pipe full o baccy, then switch on all the computers, check where I'm up to, and apart from meals, and a few other things, I will be at it till midnight.
Retlaw

Last edited by Mick; 27-11-2011 at 05:04.
Old 26-11-2011, 14:06   #24
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Researching the lives of the Accrington Pals, over 4000 men served in the 11th Battalion East Lancs. Plus all the men from Greater Accrington who served in WW1 August 1914 to October 1919, 14400 odd of them, you try finding out where they were born, who their parents were, which school they went to, which pub they supped in who their mates were, wives, children, if they died where and when, where they are buried, any photographs of them for the displays, When I eventually get up in a morning, take my pills, read the paper having a pipe full o baccy, then switch on all the computers, check where I'm up to, and apart from meals, and a few other things, I will be at it till midnight.Retlaw
Come on. I've only been on here five minutes, how am I supposed to know about all that?

Wonder if you've got my grandad on your list? Below are his details from the absent voters list Accrington 1918 Absent Voters List | Cox to Dobbing

CreaseyBertie James108566Pte.M.G.C.68 Annie StreetC11383

Last edited by susie123; 26-11-2011 at 14:11.
Old 26-11-2011, 14:28   #25
I am Banned

Quote:
Come on. I've only been on here five minutes, how am I supposed to know about all that?

Wonder if you've got my grandad on your list? Below are his details from the absent voters list Accrington 1918 Absent Voters List | Cox to Dobbing

CreaseyBertie James108566Pte.M.G.C.68 Annie StreetC11383
Sometimes it pays to read some of the other threads, to see whats been going on in the past.
As to your Grandad, his service records have not survived the blitz in the 1940's, but attached is his medal card.
Retlaw.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Creasey. Bertie J. 108566-M.G.C.-M.C..jpg (187.8 KB, 22 views)
Old 26-11-2011, 14:42   #26
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Sometimes it pays to read some of the other threads, to see whats been going on in the past.
As to your Grandad, his service records have not survived the blitz in the 1940's, but attached is his medal card.
Retlaw.
I have read lots of threads on here but obviously not the right ones!

Many thanks for the medal info. If you would like any family background data I would be happy to provide some.
Old 26-11-2011, 14:50   #27
I am Banned

Quote:
I have read lots of threads on here but obviously not the right ones!

Many thanks for the medal info. If you would like any family background data I would be happy to provide some.
Many thanks, if you could PM me his age, name of next of kin ie wife or parents, etc, that would be great, I can see from his M.G.C. number that he would have been called up sometime in the later part of the war, probably 1917.
Retlaw
Old 26-11-2011, 14:58   #28
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Many thanks, if you could PM me his age, name of next of kin ie wife or parents, etc, that would be great, I can see from his M.G.C. number that he would have been called up sometime in the later part of the war, probably 1917.
Retlaw
Will do - I have all that information... somewhere!
Old 26-11-2011, 16:20   #29
Junior Member+

I have supplied 2 copies to Accrington Library.
Observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2011, 10:14   #30
I am Banned

Smile Re: New Book; Edwardian Accrington Observed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Observer View Post
I have supplied 2 copies to Accrington Library.
Nice one Observer, i shall put that on my 'to browse' list
groove is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..