Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2012, 13:31   #46

Oh forgot to mention does anyone remember Mother Gums Shop on Plantation St it was very dark in the shop and always smelt of snuff to me mother gum was a tiny lady if I remember but for some reason I was always a little bit scared of her.
Marl is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-10-2012, 13:57   #47
Resting In Peace

Re: Pineapple pub?

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Was talking to my 81 yr old cousin just now and she said one of her grandparents used to run the Pineapple pub in Accy. She would like to know where it was, thinks it might have been in the Abbey Street/Manchester Road area.

Has anyone heard of this pub or does anyone know where it might have been?

Thanks

Sue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marl View Post
The St Ledger pub was in plantation Street Elephant street and Law street were two of the Streets which were demolished to make way for the flats that were built that are now called Ledger Court.
That's interesting, I started this thread because my cousin wanted to know where the pub was that one of her ancestors used to run. Twelve years ago she lived in St Leger Court! Will have to tell her she was on home ground when she lived there.
Old 01-10-2012, 14:40   #48
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
That's interesting, I started this thread because my cousin wanted to know where the pub was that one of her ancestors used to run. Twelve years ago she lived in St Leger Court! Will have to tell her she was on home ground when she lived there.
Its been a very interesting thread,at least to me anyway.
Old 01-10-2012, 15:03   #49
I am Banned

Quote:
Oh forgot to mention does anyone remember Mother Gums Shop on Plantation St it was very dark in the shop and always smelt of snuff to me mother gum was a tiny lady if I remember but for some reason I was always a little bit scared of her.
I well remember all those names & places, alleys & back streets etc, I lived in Hargreaves St from 1935 till 1955. By the way the Chemist in Abbery St wasn't next to Fosters Paper shop, it was at the top of Black Abbey St, on the corner with Abbey St, the site is now empty, wasn't it called Hothersalls.
Mother Gums shop, she was the 2nd generation to live there, her mother was known as old mother Gum, used to get some of my toffee ration there.

Last edited by Retlaw; 01-10-2012 at 15:06.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 15:43   #50
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Didn't have to wait long to tell her - she rang me two minutes after I made that post!
Old 01-10-2012, 19:00   #51

You could be right about the name and position of the chemist I was only young then but that is where my Aunt Emma was run over.
Old 01-10-2012, 22:14   #52
I am Banned

Higher Pitt St Wesley St Chapel St Elephant St and Law St were all demolished to make way for the flats.
Wesley St. Where did that one come from.
Wesley St is off Tanpits Rd, Church.
Quite a few other places were demolished around that time, for the new flats, and more so for the construction of East Gate.
Bunny's Back, Pinch Belly Row, Prince o Wales, thowd Co-op Joiners, Blacksmiths at top of Elephant St, Briggs Yard, Hilda's Green Grocers, etc etc.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:56   #53

I was probably thinking of the Church that was at the back of the Swan pub if it wasn't Wesly St would it be Hargreaves St ? Tell you this gettin old sucks!!!!!
Bob Dobson likes this.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:03   #54
I am Banned

Quote:
I was probably thinking of the Church that was at the back of the Swan pub if it wasn't Wesly St would it be Hargreaves St ? Tell you this gettin old sucks!!!!!
I'm a dammed sight older than you but when I close my eyes I can see the area where I lived as clear as any photograph, and as it was then, not as it is today.
The church which you refer to as the back of the Swan pub, wasn't at the back. it was in the middle of the block on Abbey St, from Adelaide St, to Birtwistle St, it belonged to the Swedenbourgs, and was known as the New Jerusalem Church. The Wesley Church was on the Corner of Abbey St, and Spring Gardens.
Behind the Swan, in Adelaide St, was a doctors house and surgery, it was later used by a firm of Printers, then came Cockerell Court, 4 houses in there, one of my ancestors lived there in the 1870's. Next up Adelaide St, was Hargreaves St, then Chapel St, Quarry St, Sandy lane, Midland St, Cobham Rd, and so on up to Barnfield St.

Last edited by Retlaw; 02-10-2012 at 11:13.
Old 19-10-2012, 13:27   #55

We moved from that area when I was tiny that is why my memory is not as good as yours!!!.But I do remember the little pen that was at the top of Birtwistle Street on the last hand side going up because my dad used to take me to feed the hens it was just before you got to Cobham Road.
Old 19-10-2012, 13:28   #56

Meant to say left hand side of Birtwistle St.
Old 08-10-2016, 13:41   #57
Junior Member+

Hello, I have just stumbled on this post and can provide some info on the Pine Apple pub from my Ancestry research. I have found a very distant "relation" Jeremiah Farrington, born 1856 in Rochdale, and his wife Isabella (nee Hill), born 1863 in Manchester. According to the 1901 census, Jeremiah was the inn-keeper of the Pine Apple at 4 Elephant Street, Accrington.
CologneClaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 15:42   #58
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CologneClaret View Post
Hello, I have just stumbled on this post and can provide some info on the Pine Apple pub from my Ancestry research. I have found a very distant "relation" Jeremiah Farrington, born 1856 in Rochdale, and his wife Isabella (nee Hill), born 1863 in Manchester. According to the 1901 census, Jeremiah was the inn-keeper of the Pine Apple at 4 Elephant Street, Accrington.
Claret, the starter of this thread is no longer with us, sadly she passed away a few years back.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:34   #59
Junior Member+

Very sorry to hear that the lady had passed away. Thank you for the information Retlaw.
CologneClaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 13:48   #60
Full Member+

Was the pub up Manchester Rd on the left just past Nobby's called the Pineapple.
ferret man is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..