Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2012, 11:39   #106
God Member

Re: ST JAMES CHURCH Accrington

What a mess! The place now looks like a 1980's skateboard park - the only thing missing being the graffitti (no doubt that's coming soon). I trust that criminal chatges will soon be brought against whoever is responsible.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-11-2012, 14:22   #107
Beacon of light

I don't like it...and think it has done this lovely old church no favours, but I thought I was being negative and cynical and was just off to take two more of my anti-cynicism pills.
Seems like I am not on my own.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 15:37   #108
Senior Member+

Not impressed. It's going to look very bare, big expanses of paving.
It looks like real stone so must have cost a bomb but even allowing for it being new it looks like the wrong sort/colour. Too pale, no warmth. And those gateposts and steps terminating those lovely old stone walls-too stark and modern.
But thanks for the progression of photos, Atara, interesting to see it developing.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 17:55   #109
Senior Member+

I am probably going to get into trouble for this but hey ho , there is an old saying in the building trade which is "never show a fool or a woman a job thats not finished "give it chance to mellow and soften, it will do both these especially when some landscaping is done.As for the colour if you look around Accrington at houses that have been sandblasted the stone can be very light the rows of terraced houses must have looked very bright when they were built but after one hundred years or so of grime they now look quite sombre, so there is hope yet for the church yard
Old 13-11-2012, 07:45   #110

IMO they need to be called back to redo the flags on top of the wall.

They just laid them as they got them without any thought for their size.
If you look along them they re different sized and colour so go in/out along the walls length.

Some on the library side should go on Cannons street side etc.

If your going to do it at least do it right, and that isn't right.

Tch, you just can't get a decent job done these days
RainbowSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 14:43   #111

I also noticed the uneven width of the flags on the walling and as my son worked on these I asked and was informed that *we have to work to architects drawings and as the architect decreed that that the wall was of varying widths so the flags must be of varying widths.
It was not done "without thought"
Big Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 17:55   #112
Senior Member+

ST JAMES CHURCH Accrington

Walkinman221! You do realise you are being extremely ..... BRAVE!

Here is a photo (blurry unfortunately) but it gives you an idea of what is being discussed on here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg St James' wall - 13th Nov 2012.JPG (252.1 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by Atarah; 13-11-2012 at 17:59.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 12:56   #113

Does no one look at drawings and question them? point out obvious errors?

Someone has not thought the top of these walls through - they could all have been one width and one colour batch and it would have looked a lot better.

Just like someone has obviously just followed the drawing on the edging strips at the corners of the path where the path spreads out to meet the corner entrances.

There is an obvious trip hazard that is not so obvious when walking in the dark etc and someone will be using it to claim against the church.

If only someone had looked at the plan when fitting them and thought - "Hmm - that's going to stick up 3" at the edge of a path junction and someone might easily trip over it - I'd better get it mitred or angled so it does not".

But then these days people just do what they are told and don't question anything.

Whether by design or incompetence, the wall top looks a mess.

Pity - it could be really good. (Little things).
Old 15-11-2012, 13:49   #114

I could arrange for you to meet the lads that did the work if you would like to tell them in person
Old 15-11-2012, 14:57   #115
Beacon of light

They would probably say they were only doing as they were told. Following orders.
Old 16-11-2012, 12:20   #116

Exactly Margaret,its not good for job prospects if you start telling "the Bosses"they dont know what they are doing.
Old 16-11-2012, 14:02   #117
Beacon of light

no...even if it is true!
Old 17-11-2012, 12:28   #118

And instead the church gets a crap job.

Never mind, the church will put up with it, accept an irregular wall and dangerous footpaths.

Better that than someone question the architect.
Old 17-11-2012, 14:29   #119
Senior Member+

ST JAMES CHURCH Accrington

Hi, after a bit of a "gap", few final photos of St James' alterations. These are from Mon 5th November 2012.

Originally, according to the notice board on view in the grounds of the Churchyard, the work should have been completed for Fri 2nd Nov, but bad weather "stopped play".

I was under the impression the work had to be ready for Remembrance Day, but, when I was in town on that day, around 11.15am, there was no sign of anyone being in the newly completed grounds, ...... unless anyone knows any different?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 - St James Improvements new steps corner of Holmes St and St James Street - 5th Nov 2012.JPG (335.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 2 - St James Improvements - new steps on Holmes St - 5th Nov 2012.JPG (409.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 3 - St James Improvements - new steps from St James Street - 5th Nov 2012.JPG (352.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 4 - St James Improvements - general view - 5th Nov 2012.JPG (407.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 5 - St James Improvements - showing paved area in front of main entrance - 5th Nov 2012.JPG (365.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 6 - St James Improvements - where has all the grass gone - 5th Nov 2012.JPG (351.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 7- St James Improvements - the old entrance gates no longer required - 5th Nov 2012.JPG (365.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 8 - St James Improvements - just a few workmen left now to tidy up - 5th Nov 2012.JPG (413.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 9 - St James Improvements - just a few workmen left now to tidy up - 5th Nov 2012.JPG (450.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 10 - St James Improvements - nice autumn scene - 5th Nov 2012.JPG (470.7 KB, 8 views)
Old 17-11-2012, 15:07   #120
Senior Member+

Tuesday 6th November, 2012

Wont be many more photos now.

Its been enjoyable to record the work being done on our oldest church in Accrington. Lets hope it survives another few hundred years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 - St James Improvements - the old sundial on view again - 6th Nov 2012.JPG (413.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 2 - St James Improvements - an original headstone - how sad does this look - 6th Nov 2012.JPG (299.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 3 - St James Improvements - stone - only a handful of workmen left now - 6th Nov 2012.JPG (448.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 4 - St James Improvements - a bleak view - 6th Nov 2012.jpg (309.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 5- St James Improvements - top flagstones taken off low wall in St James Street - 6th Nov 2012.JPG (351.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 6- St James Improvements - view of wall down Cannon Street - 6th Nov 2012.JPG (428.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 7 - St James Improvements - stone - only a handful of workmen left now - 6th Nov 2012.JPG (358.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 8 - St James Improvements - the entertainment area in front of the tower - 6th Nov 2012.JPG (284.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 9 - St James Improvements - work on steps near Church St now completed - 6th Nov 2012.JPG (381.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 10 - St James Improvements - the old entrance posts blocked off now - 6th Nov 2012.JPG (318.0 KB, 9 views)

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..