Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-04-2012, 19:48   #1
Senior Member+

Accrington Borough Police

The town had its own police force until 1947, when it amalgamated with the county force. I am trying to ascertain if there are any men from the borough force still living. The last man to join the force , PC Chris Lamb, died some years ago, but there could be others, in their nineties now, still alive. I would specially like to know if Pc Tommy Davies is alive as I want to contact his son, Barry. They lived in Aitken St or Haywood Rd.

Tom was one of the two halbardiers who accompanied the mayor on civic occasions. Others were PCs Murdo McAuley, George Thompson, Jack Fletcher & Sgt Jim Warrington.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-04-2012, 19:52   #2
I am Banned

Re: Accrington Borough Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
The town had its own police force until 1947, when it amalgamated with the county force. I am trying to ascertain if there are any men from the borough force still living. The last man to join the force , PC Chris Lamb, died some years ago, but there could be others, in their nineties now, still alive. I would specially like to know if Pc Tommy Davies is alive as I want to contact his son, Barry. They lived in Aitken St or Haywood Rd.

Tom was one of the two halbardiers who accompanied the mayor on civic occasions. Others were PCs Murdo McAuley, George Thompson, Jack Fletcher & Sgt Jim Warrington.
I knew Chris Lamb & George Thompson, have you tried the voters registers. Its such a long time since now, that they could all have gone.
Retlaw

Last edited by Retlaw; 19-04-2012 at 19:54.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 20:09   #3
Senior Member+

Both of these are on a celestial beat. I have forgotten a lot of names but recall George Smith ( son still in Acc), Bert Astley, Jack Kilgallon, Stan Stevenson,Jack Bryning......
Old 19-04-2012, 20:45   #4
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Both of these are on a celestial beat. I have forgotten a lot of names but recall George Smith ( son still in Acc), Bert Astley, Jack Kilgallon, Stan Stevenson,Jack Bryning......
Jack Bryning was the husband of my mum's best friend Doris. They lived in Nutter Road and when he retired they went to run the post office in Hurst Green/Stonyhurst. He died quite suddenly and wasn't that old. They were my Uncle Jack and Auntie Doris.
Old 19-04-2012, 20:59   #5
Senior Member+

George Smith ran a PO in the Ribble Valley too. Another name - PC Ted Hunt, who lived in Cobham Rd. I am in touch with his daughter, Diana. Also PC Ernie Hindle. Most of the men were PCs all of their service. This was because they declined to be transferred to other areas,and the policy was not to promote PCs 'in situ' Thus some very capable men were held back in their careers. The policy wasn't reversed until 1967.
Old 20-04-2012, 07:52   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Was also Pete Conway bob, lived on Dill Hall Lane, was a great fellow, used to manage our cricket team in the Black Bull Pub, sadly pete died many years ago. Pete was a constable that never wished to move away, Was big mates wi Sgt Tommy Sweeting who i think was up Haslingden, Tommy ran the Boxing Club up yon.

Last edited by cashman; 20-04-2012 at 07:54.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012, 08:05   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:

Not sure if Tom Davies is still alive Bob, but he did live at the top of Aitken Street, when he left the police he was wefare officer at Shopfitters for years.
Old 20-04-2012, 08:38   #8
Senior Member+

Peter Conway was a 'county' man. Finished as Sgt.
Tom Sweeting has been in hospital in a bad way recently but appears to be coming round. He swam for the British Police.He too was a county man.
Old 20-04-2012, 08:45   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Peter Conway was a 'county' man. Finished as Sgt.
Tom Sweeting has been in hospital in a bad way recently but appears to be coming round. He swam for the British Police.He too was a county man.
Remind me on Sunday Bob, Have a very funny story about Pete n our cricket team.
Old 01-02-2018, 15:51   #10
Senior Member+

I've just found this old thread. PC ? Walling has died in the last year. He lived in Scotland. I would be pleased to mhear of any, now in their 90s, still alive.

I am grateful for Atarah Hindle for bringing a1939 photo of the whole force to my notice. Most unusual is that the sergeants had a letter, A, B, C, D etc instead of a number. I've not come across this before.
Old 01-02-2018, 18:07   #11
Senior Member+

Probably later than what you are interested in Bob, but I remember a DS Sargeson. His youngest son Tom was in the same year as me at Spring Hill and AGS. There was an older son but can't remember his name. I seem to remember that one of them went into a Guards Regiment. Once again, if memory serves - DS Sargeson committed suicide, but cant remember any details.
Old 02-02-2018, 01:51   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Probably later than what you are interested in Bob, but I remember a DS Sargeson. His youngest son Tom was in the same year as me at Spring Hill and AGS. There was an older son but can't remember his name. I seem to remember that one of them went into a Guards Regiment. Once again, if memory serves - DS Sargeson committed suicide, but cant remember any details.
Michael (Mick) He was a police cadet before going into the Guards.
Accyborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:38   #13
Senior Member+

Tom Sargeson is dead now. The suicide incident was in mid-50s up Priestley Clough I thin.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:45   #14

Quote:

Hi Bob,
The McAuley family were very good friends of mine. I used to mate out with one of their sons Richard, who had a younger Brother Alec.

They lived at one time in the Woodnook area, I think Trawden Close, but not sure. In the late 50's they then moved to an apartment above the Bank on St Jame's Street just behind the Elite Snooker Club, sorry but can't remember the name of the bank.
George Thompson was a very funny guy, and one story I remember has stuck with me ever since.
I used to help Bill & Annie Keenleyside in the Blockade for some years, and after 10:30 Closing time when everybody had left and we were clearing up, A flash light would go on and off in one of the higher windows. Bill would then say open the door it's George Thompson, and sure enough it was him with a younger Constable. He would then order his beer, with the young constable saying "we shouldn't be doing this should we", George would then "it's ok son, all part of having good relations with the people of the town"!
Coming back to your question, I'm sure the two will have passed away years ago, or they will be around 110 years of age.
Cheers

Phil kenyon
Late Belfield Rd.
landhusweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 11:04   #15
Senior Member+

I was privileged to serve with George as a sprog PC. He was a born tutor. Amongst the tips hge gave me was -" always carry 6 pennies in your pocket in case a member of the public comes to you and asks if you have any pennies for the phone" I never met a PC who was smarter than (ex-Guardsman) George - He looked like a bobby should look

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..