Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-12-2012, 14:34   #1
Senior Member+

Southworths Tripe Stall established in Acc 1850

We now know that one of our members is descended from the well known tripe business SOUTHWORTHS, so, here is a bit of information:
In a 1984 newspaper article it states that the business, operating from premises in Croft Street, for something like 100 years, was to be pulled down to make way for the new Hyndburn Link Road, and the firm's 77yr old owner, Mr Thomas Southworth, had decided to call it a day.
The business was started by this gentlemans great grandfather, Thomas Southworth, in 1850 and the works were originally at the back of the Warners Arms in Accrington, before they moved to the Bull Bridge area of town.
There were once eight other tripe works in Accrington, in addition to Southworths.
Up to the utbreak of WWII, they had stalls on the markets at Padiham, Haslingden, Rawtenstall and Bacup, as well as here in Accrington.
Mr Southworth recalled working for his father, Mr Robert Southworth, on a part-time bases, while he was still a schoolboy of 10yrs, and he became a full time employee a few years later. He recalled the firm once had a stall on Abbey Street, when the market used to be there, but he said "that was a very long time ago". He did say they used to have a stall by the corner of the Town Hall.

I will post more info when I find it!

I have found a postcard showing what I think must be Southworths wooden hut.

Apologies for mis spelling of Tripe in the heading, but I dont know how to alter it :-(
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Southworths tripe stall maybe.jpg (55.2 KB, 50 views)
shirley wilson likes this.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-12-2012, 14:37   #2
Beacon of light

re: Southworths Tripe Stall established in Acc 1850

Ask a mod to change it for you June.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 14:43   #3
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
We now know that one of our members is descended from the well known tripe business SOUTHWORTHS, so, here is a bit of information:
In a 1984 newspaper article it states that the business, operating from premises in Croft Street, for something like 100 years, was to be pulled down to make way for the new Hyndburn Link Road, and the firm's 77yr old owner, Mr Thomas Southworth, had decided to call it a day.
The business was started by this gentlemans great grandfather, Thomas Southworth, in 1850 and the works were originally at the back of the Warners Arms in Accrington, before they moved to the Bull Bridge area of town.
There were once eight other tripe works in Accrington, in addition to Southworths.
Up to the utbreak of WWII, they had stalls on the markets at Padiham, Haslingden, Rawtenstall and Bacup, as well as here in Accrington.
Mr Southworth recalled working for his father, Mr Robert Southworth, on a part-time bases, while he was still a schoolboy of 10yrs, and he became a full time employee a few years later. He recalled the firm once had a stall on Abbey Street, when the market used to be there, but he said "that was a very long time ago". He did say they used to have a stall by the corner of the Town Hall.

I will post more info when I find it!

I have found a postcard showing what I think must be Southworths wooden hut.

Apologies for mis spelling of Tripe in the heading, but I dont know how to alter it :-(
The heading is alright, perhaps budgies might eat tripe.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 15:11   #4
Senior Member+

Our Accyweb descendant (pompeylass) probably already knows this, but here are some 1891 census details, when the family were living on Cross Street, which is just around the corner from the Warners Arms, where apparently they had a works.

1891 census for Cross Street, Accrington
SOUTHWORTH family

Thomas Southworth age 51 yrs - Tripe Dresser (born Chorley)

Ellen Southworth age 51 yrs – born Whalley

Robert Southworth age 16 yrs – Asst Tripe Dresser born Acc

Ellen Southworth age 14 yrs – Asst Tripe Dresser born Acc

Hannah Southworth age 11 yrs – Scholar born Acc

Martha Southworth age 8 yrs – Scholar born Acc

So ... it looks as though your roots are from Chorley and Whalley but I think you can claim Accrington, seeing as the family moved here around the 1850's! :-)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 15:21   #5
I am Banned

Quote:
Our Accyweb descendant (pompeylass) probably already knows this, but here are some 1891 census details, when the family were living on Cross Street, which is just around the corner from the Warners Arms, where apparently they had a works.

SOUTHWORTH family

So ... it looks as though your roots are from Chorley and Whalley but I think you can claim Accrington, seeing as the family moved here around the 1850's! :-)
Robert enlisted in the Royal Navy served on H.M.S. Blake,
as O.S. J70995.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 16:36   #6

Ellen Southworth came from the Wiswell area of Whalley. My mother told me when we were going down that way once.
pompeylass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 16:58   #7
Senior Member+

Re: Southworths Tripe Stall established in Acc 1850

Confirmation of summat that I've thought for a long tme - Atarah talks tripe.

I didn't know that there was a market area in Abbey St

Good stuff Atarah.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 18:14   #8
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Confirmation of summat that I've thought for a long tme - Atarah talks tripe.

I didn't know that there was a market area in Abbey St

Good stuff Atarah.
Ay Ek Dobbo, I thought every respectable Acc historian knew that Abbey St was the original market St in New Accrington. thats why the house numbers in Warner St & Oak St, run from top to bottom, because Abbey St was the center from where numbers started.
Old 23-12-2012, 18:28   #9
I am Banned

Quote:

SOUTHWORTH family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Robert enlisted in the Royal Navy served on H.M.S. Blake,
as O.S. J70995.
Atarah. Just realised that the date on your census is 1891. The Robert Southworth in the Royal Navy in WW1 was only 18 yars of age when he enlisted, So he must be the son of the Robert in your census extract.
Old 24-12-2012, 05:30   #10
Mog

Wonder if the Southworths that lived on Moor Street in Clayton were any relation to these guys.
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 07:32   #11

Hi all

I'll do my best to get the research done but it will be gradual I'm afraid. I did some of my dads side last year but did nothing on my mums, the Southworth's side, until now.

There are some of the Southworth's that moved to Clayton, but more about that later.
pompeylass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 08:46   #12
Senior Member+

Of course, the possibility is that they are descended, as I am , from the Southworhs of Samlesbury. That family lived in Samlesbury Hall, and one of their number became as saint. I think this is where I get my ethos of living from - those who know me will not be surprised at learning about my saintly past. One of my family was known as Southworth the Elder, but all was not as it seamed.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 11:55   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
those who know me will not be surprised at learning about my saintly past. One of my family was known as Southworth the Elder, but all was not as it seamed.
Aint just atarah talking tripe on here then is there.?
Old 24-12-2012, 18:55   #14
Senior Member+

I think he must be talking about some udder bloke.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 19:32   #15

In one of Benita Moore's books "Lancashire Lives" she interviews Annie, Tommy and Elsie Southworth about the family and life in Accrington.

If you don't have a copy of this and would like me to send one to you PM me with your address and I will send it after Christmas.
anzac is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..