Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: What do you think of this thread?
LOVE IT! 0 0%
Mildly entertaining. 0 0%
Boring 0 0%
That Ewoodsambo3 is a nutcase and is doing my 'ed in! Delete this thread 0 0%
Informative/helpful 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree253Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2013, 13:36   #1

Update on Accrington Conservative Club

Just been on the phone with the council asking what is going to happen to this building.They revealed that the current owner is bankrupt and all the ideas about refurbishing/repairing/rebuilding were fibs :/
Apparently he spent far too much buying the buiding and he has no money for major repairs.
In the past few years there has been scum in the building and they have stolen all of the led from the roof which now means that whenever it rains, the building gets wet through. The owner did try to temporarely repair this using fibre glass but it did not last for long.
The council has taken the owner to court where he pleaded guilty but was let off as he was declared bankrupt and had no funding to pay the fines or carry out repairs.
They have given him countless notices which he ignores. The building is in desperate need of repair. The owner is willing to sell the property for an agreed price. He will accept a deposit.
We could try to raise some money for the essential repairs of the roof (the counicil worker told me that this is the main problem why this is falling down.) If the roof is repaired then the building will not rot anywhere near as fast giving more time to try and save the building.
Has anybody got any ideas for a tempory roof repair or is anybody willing to purchase this wonderful building and give it the love it needs?
The building is at risk of collapsing which will crush many of the houses and offices surrounding it.
Please help.
If yu have any more questions queries or ideas for me then please post them below.

PLEASE THIS BUILDING NEEDS YOUR HELP!!
Thank you.
WeAreInnocent likes this.

Last edited by Accrington Lad; 08-01-2013 at 13:38.
Accrington Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-01-2013, 13:56   #2
Resting In Peace

Re: Update on Accrington Conservative Club

Please don't think I'm being patronising, that's the last thing I want, but it will take a lot more than pocket money to save this building. It's good to see and feel your enthusiasm and frustration Sam, but I think most of us oldies have known for years that there's nothing to be done.

You say you have met the owner and you thought him a nice man, perhaps you have now had your eyes opened.
flashy, jaysay and walkinman221 like this.
Old 08-01-2013, 15:59   #3
Senior Member+

Dream on Buddy
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 18:03   #4

Exclamation Re: Update on Accrington Conservative Club

Ill be up on that roof tomorrow putting something on it to stop it leaking!
I dont know what but I will think of something!
Its far too dangerous to be left to rot, there are houses around it.
The owner should of put it on the market a long time ago.
Who spends one million pounds on a building to do absolutely naff all with it (and also causing yourself to go bankrupt!?)
You Need To See It To Believe It. I Am Not Exagerating! Inside, The Place Looks Like A Bomb Has Gone Off.
SAVE THIS BUILDING!!

(P.S. I noticed CCTV signs going up in the windows today? - Dont know if thats the work of the council or the owner? - Didn't notice any cameras though? :-/ Unless they are going up at a later date? Because it was getting dark - I hope they do put cameras up because it will deter the scum who keep vandalising it!)

Cheers!

SAVE THIS BUILDING!

Last edited by Accrington Lad; 08-01-2013 at 18:10.
Accrington Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 18:11   #5
Resting in Peace

Don't think you realise just how much it would cost merely to repair the roof, literally hundreds of thousands of pounds, that's before you even think of tackling the dry rot WHICH IS STILL IN THERE, there are very few people who have the kind of money to make this building usable, it would run into millions of pounds, where would you recoup that kind of money today, the answer is you wouldn't, I actually do know what I'm talking about having a background in the building industry and knowing the ins and outs of this building seeing I when in the place 5 days a week for quite a few years
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 18:14   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Don't think you realise just how much it would cost merely to repair the roof, literally hundreds of thousands of pounds, that's before you even think of tackling the dry rot WHICH IS STILL IN THERE, there are very few people who have the kind of money to make this building usable, it would run into millions of pounds, where would you recoup that kind of money today, the answer is you wouldn't, I actually do know what I'm talking about having a background in the building industry and knowing the ins and outs of this building seeing I when in the place 5 days a week for quite a few years

It costs a lot more than that to repair, the council told me in the region of a few million! (to repair the whole building)
Old 08-01-2013, 18:15   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewoodsambo3 View Post
Ill be up on that roof tomorrow putting something on it to stop it leaking!
I dont know what but I will think of something!
Its far too dangerous to be left to rot, there are houses around it.
The owner should of put it on the market a long time ago.
Who spends one million pounds on a building to do absolutely naff all with it (and also causing yourself to go bankrupt!?)
You Need To See It To Believe It. I Am Not Exagerating! Inside, The Place Looks Like A Bomb Has Gone Off.
SAVE THIS BUILDING!!

(P.S. I noticed CCTV signs going up in the windows today? - Dont know if thats the work of the council or the owner? - Didn't notice any cameras though? :-/ Unless they are going up at a later date? Because it was getting dark - I hope they do put cameras up because it will deter the scum who keep vandalising it!)

Cheers!

SAVE THIS BUILDING!
Sam do not even try going up on that roof, because you don't have a clue what your up against, its a long way down, even I wouldn't try it and I have put many a roof on in my time, ITS A DEATH TRAP believe me
Old 08-01-2013, 18:16   #8
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Don't you dare mention AccyWeb in your screams when you fall to your death from that roof.
Are you really so stupid as to go up there? How have you lost your love of life at such a young age?
Not to worry you will be remembered I'll nominate you for the Darwin Awards as soon as you hit the ground!

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 18:20   #9
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Ah the Darwins, some mind boggling reading there.
walkinman221 likes this.
Old 08-01-2013, 18:28   #10
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Ah the Darwins, some mind boggling reading there.
Almost as mind boggling as some daft kid saying he's going to save the roof of a derelict building.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 18:50   #11
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Almost as mind boggling as some daft kid saying he's going to save the roof of a derelict building.
I reiterate my previous.
Old 08-01-2013, 21:26   #12
Senior Member+

If you feel that strongly about the situation get the local papers to mount a campaign to save the building, that will demonstrate how much support there is, you may be disappointed at how many wish to save it. Start an e-petition or badger the local councillors, but don't go up a ladder in the wind and rain, otherwise you may feature in the local paper for a different reason.

Personally I think the time to save it has long passed.
jaysay and susie123 like this.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 22:47   #13
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
If you feel that strongly about the situation get the local papers to mount a campaign to save the building, that will demonstrate how much support there is, you may be disappointed at how many wish to save it. Start an e-petition or badger the local councillors, but don't go up a ladder in the wind and rain, otherwise you may feature in the local paper for a different reason.

Personally I think the time to save it has long passed.
I think this mon is wrong in the head, or taking the wee wee, for a start of where is he going to get the ladder to reach the roof, then materials and tools, if he really is the age he claims, what experience has he for that kind of work.
I don't think he would get much financial support from the people of Accrington, look how long it took to raise the funds, and repair the Accrington Pals Chapel.
Less may be right about the Darwin Awards, he sounds a likely candidate, if his story is on the level.
susie123 likes this.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 23:06   #14
Super Moderator

You daft get, Ewood, don't even think about it. Has no one told you about the Hippodrome that used to be at the bottom of Ellison Street and the lad who went up on the roof when it was derelict in the 60's...and fell off and died?
Old 09-01-2013, 08:16   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
You daft get, Ewood, don't even think about it. Has no one told you about the Hippodrome that used to be at the bottom of Ellison Street and the lad who went up on the roof when it was derelict in the 60's...and fell off and died?
I remember that Wyn, our friend is young and impetuous, lets hope his impetuosity doesn't get him injured or worse, especially on the fools errand he's attempting

Tags
accrington, ballroom, churchills, club, conservative

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..