Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: What do you think of this thread?
LOVE IT! 0 0%
Mildly entertaining. 0 0%
Boring 0 0%
That Ewoodsambo3 is a nutcase and is doing my 'ed in! Delete this thread 0 0%
Informative/helpful 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree253Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-02-2013, 11:23   #436
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Update on Accrington Conservative Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Well the owner (if it is still owned by the same person and somehow I can't see it having been sold on) hasn't made any effort in the last eight years or so try and make it any less of a blot on the landscape of the wonderful sight that is Hyndburn. It is a disgrace that listed buildings ie the con club and cannon street church are allowed to fall into such a state of disrepair but just shows me that neither the owners nor the council actually give a monkies about coserving the heritage of the borough. You have a lot to learn but seems the owner of the con club is now trying to deflect your interest to the baptist church, to stop you asking questions about his derelict property
It is not the Local Authority that decides to list buildings and therefore limit what you can do to them. English Heritage decide if a building should be placed on the Statutory List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. They don't unfortunately have any money to help out with the restoration or conversion of such buildings into useful buildings that suit current times so we often end up with listed derelict buildings that no can can afford to use.
Old 25-02-2013, 13:19   #437
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Not Deleted but it will be closed if it does not get back on thread and on topic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewoodsambo3 View Post
Now please ask no more questions about the Conservative Club as I will not reveal any more.

I would prefer to talk about the Church across the road which is currently being refurbished by Y&Y developments!
Old 25-02-2013, 14:37   #438

Building preservation trusts like Save Britains Heritage do a great job of saving historic buildings. I think the main one in Lancashire would be Heritage Trust for the north west. These trusts can get grants of up to £5 million to restore a building apparently! :O
Heritage Trust for the North West: Home
Pick a programme - Heritage Lottery Fund
Old 25-02-2013, 15:08   #439
Senior Member+

Quote:
Building preservation trusts like Save Britains Heritage do a great job of saving historic buildings. I think the main one in Lancashire would be Heritage Trust for the north west. These trusts can get grants of up to £5 million to restore a building apparently! :O
Heritage Trust for the North West: Home
Pick a programme - Heritage Lottery Fund
So?
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 16:32   #440
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
It is not the Local Authority that decides to list buildings and therefore limit what you can do to them. English Heritage decide if a building should be placed on the Statutory List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. They don't unfortunately have any money to help out with the restoration or conversion of such buildings into useful buildings that suit current times so we often end up with listed derelict buildings that no can can afford to use.
Yes I know all that Neil but it is the councils responsibility to keep their eye on properties and ensure the owners make some effort to maintain the buildings before they get as bad as this one. Seems to me that the owner has made absolutely no effort with the con club
Old 25-02-2013, 18:24   #441
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
That's been my beef with this for many years Neil, its okay English Heritage saying these buildings should be saved for posterity, but to do so costs money, councils certainly don't have the cash and this day and age neither do people who own them. The frontage to Rhyddings Mill Ossy should have been demolished years ago, but its a listed building, maybe if somebody gets killed, there might be a change of heart
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 21:28   #442
Senior Member+

Quote:
Some of u accy webbers are right miserable gits.
They have my username on them!
A bit of MSPaint and they would have my username on - no hard work needed
Accrington Lad likes this.
Old 09-04-2013, 20:20   #443

I see ewoods signature has came true, again.

Hyndburn landmark does not need saving(From Lancashire Telegraph)

And for those not on facebook, here is a quote from 3 hours ago,from the page, also he has deleted his website.

Quote:
"Plans for 19 Cannon Street (Former Conservative Club / Churchills nightclub)
The plans are as follows.
The rear of the building will be demolished including the Majestic Ballroom.
The only part that will remain is the L shaped ornate frontage of the building you see in my profile picture.
A new 6 story steel structure will be put into place consisting of 50-60 modern 2 bed apartments (approx £600p/m).
The building will also feature a rooftop cafe, a basement restaurant and an elevator (lift) going up the rear of the building on paradise street.
The owner is very keen to start this work and it is estimated to cost around £6million.
Please do not contact the owner as he is too busy and there is no room for negotiation as the building has been surveyed and demolition has been thought as the only option.
Please do not contact the council or owner about this.
Thanks."
cashman, jaysay and Restless like this.
odders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 20:55   #444
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Not that sure about that odders? Wonder about any donations though?
Old 09-04-2013, 22:47   #445
God Member

Those have been the plans for years but whether it ever happens is anybodies guess
Old 10-04-2013, 08:39   #446
Resting in Peace

Well it wants doing quickly and get rid of the deathtrap
Old 10-04-2013, 08:54   #447
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Ewoodsambo aint been here fer oer 1 month, Perhaps on hols wi the donations? who knows. P.S. if this has been the case the poll was wrong, he aint a nutcase. pmsl.
Restless likes this.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:31   #448
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Ewoodsambo aint been here fer oer 1 month, Perhaps on hols wi the donations? who knows. P.S. if this has been the case the poll was wrong, he aint a nutcase. pmsl.
Me and my exmate Mog reckon Urban Caveman is the wily little shaver reincarnated Mr c
Restless likes this.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:37   #449
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
Me and my exmate Mog reckon Urban Caveman is the wily little shaver reincarnated Mr c
If its the same web address the mods will have him, if thats the case. Seems odd though urban caveman don't seem as stupid.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:57   #450
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
If its the same web address the mods will have him, if thats the case. Seems odd though urban caveman don't seem as stupid.
Ya great disguise ain't it cashy

Tags
accrington, ballroom, churchills, club, conservative

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..