Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-01-2014, 13:12   #1
Senior Member+

Post Ponthalgh, Plowtalgh, Powtehalgh in church kirk

I've a keen interest in the history and documentation of period buildings. Our industrial and historical heritage is fast disappearing under the pressure of regeneration, the need for new housing. I aim to document some these places through text and photographs before they disappear.
This building is steeped in history and has quite a few stories to tell. shame its not being looked after.I think it maybe listed under Lancashire heritage

HISTORY:
Roger Rishton was living here in 1474, he was outlawed during the War of the Roses, Another Roger Rishton carried on a long and deadly feudwith other branches of the family and broke down the image of St Oswald in Church Kirk and the newly placed pews there. Several affrays took place and he was slain by Sir Thomas Talbot during the fight in a neighbouring homestead.The farm may also be referred to as Ponthalgh, Plowtalgh, Powtehalgh, and later Park Farm. This homestead is mainly associated with the Rishton family who occupied the homestead from the 15th to 17th century. The Rishtons finally left Ponthalgh for Preston, as a result of supporting the King during the English Civil War. In 1659 Ponthalgh was sold to the Walmesley's.

ENJOY

Turtle and hilleluk like this.

Last edited by Accyexplorer; 17-01-2014 at 13:16. Reason: IMAGE TAGS
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-01-2014, 14:02   #2

Re: Ponthalgh, Plowtalgh, Powtehalgh in church kirk

Great shots, and nice to have some history too. So often I've passed derelict buildings and wished I could get inside. You've done it, and lived to tell the tale. Thanks for sharing!
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 14:51   #3
Senior Member+

Retlaw will be able to come up with references to these early names at certain times. This building doesn't look all that old - early 1800-s, no earlier.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 16:32   #4
Beacon of light

If only bricks could talk!

I often think that when I am in very old buildings......(OK - I know I'm puddled)
Accyexplorer likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 16:35   #5
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Retlaw will be able to come up with references to these early names at certain times. This building doesn't look all that old - early 1800-s, no earlier.
It gets a mention on here but retlaw states he doesn't know much history about church Kirk.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...y-44731-3.html

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Old 17-01-2014, 16:38   #6
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
Great shots, and nice to have some history too. So often I've passed derelict buildings and wished I could get inside. You've done it, and lived to tell the tale. Thanks for sharing!
Feel free to list some,I may of been in some of them an I can upload the pics for you.

password--Accyweb
Old 17-01-2014, 20:51   #7
Senior Member+

Ainsworth's book 'Old Homesteads of Accrington & District' tells that this started off as one of the Rishton family's homes...'it has suffered the obliteration of all its ancient features....only one window shows traces of old mullions' The family seems to have started c 1245 in Rishton. Fascinating family stories. The farm passed into the hands of the Walmsleys. One photo + 11pages. Clearly my observation (above) as to the dating of the building seems to refer to the re-building rather than the original.
Old 18-01-2014, 13:39   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
Feel free to list some,I may of been in some of them an I can upload the pics for you.
Thank you, that's a kind offer. I'm living across the pond now, but I used to live in Rothwell House (the old detached house down in the valley of Priestley Clough, directly below Rothwell Mill Farm). Also in Heights Cottages, next to Lower Withams Farm up Sandy Lane. I believe these are still inhabited, but if you know anything of the age of the buildings, or the history, that would be most welcome.
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 17:52   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
Thank you, that's a kind offer. I'm living across the pond now, but I used to live in Rothwell House (the old detached house down in the valley of Priestley Clough, directly below Rothwell Mill Farm). Also in Heights Cottages, next to Lower Withams Farm up Sandy Lane. I believe these are still inhabited, but if you know anything of the age of the buildings, or the history, that would be most welcome.
Sorry I cant help you with these as i only know whats available via the www.
Perhaps Retlaw can help (or Bob Dobson has a book ).

I walked my dog up Priestley Clough the other day (I've not been up that way since i was a kid).I spoke to a (unhappy) local tho who said the present occupier of Rothwell House was in a battle with the council over the land.It seems that he/she has torn down trees/walls to make the path wider so they can get a static holiday home down there

password--Accyweb
Old 18-01-2014, 17:59   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Ainsworth's book 'Old Homesteads of Accrington & District' tells that this started off as one of the Rishton family's homes...'it has suffered the obliteration of all its ancient features....only one window shows traces of old mullions' The family seems to have started c 1245 in Rishton. Fascinating family stories. The farm passed into the hands of the Walmsleys. One photo + 11pages. Clearly my observation (above) as to the dating of the building seems to refer to the re-building rather than the original.
Thanks for the history Bob. I've pics of the window that shows the old mullions but i'm clueless as to how to upload them from my photobucket to here in a format that meets the criteria

password--Accyweb
Old 18-01-2014, 18:06   #11
Senior Member+

Not sure if we are allowed to link directly to photobucket, don`t remember seeing anything in the rules though, but you can download your pic from photobucket to your PC, then resize etc. and attach as normal.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 18:50   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
Not sure if we are allowed to link directly to photobucket, don`t remember seeing anything in the rules though, but you can download your pic from photobucket to your PC, then resize etc. and attach as normal.
I can assure you (from my deleted thread) we are not,although i don't remember seeing anything in the rules either

Thanks i'm looking into uploading thumbnails.

password--Accyweb
Old 18-01-2014, 19:38   #13
Senior Member+

There's nowt in Old Homesteads about Rothwell Heights. Likely summat in Mike Rothwell's book on Accrington's industrial heritage. Am out of time at present.
Old 18-01-2014, 20:10   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
I can assure you (from my deleted thread) we are not,although i don't remember seeing anything in the rules either.
I`m only guessing, but maybe the reason is if sometime in future you delete the photos from photobucket, or if your account with them gets closed for some reason, the thread is then missing pictures. Best bet is to just upload as an attachment.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 22:32   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
I`m only guessing, but maybe the reason is if sometime in future you delete the photos from photobucket, or if your account with them gets closed for some reason, the thread is then missing pictures. Best bet is to just upload as an attachment.
Sounds about right,think I've got the hang of it now

password--Accyweb

Tags
plowtalgh, ponthalgh, powtehalgh

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..