Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2017, 02:30   #211
Junior Member+

Re: The Pubs of Accrington

Great map with wonderful memories. Thank you.
I had my first ever pint at 15 years old in the Stanley Arms at the corner of Stanley St and Washington....staggering distance from the Dyers and Finishers WMC. We paid 1s and 5p for bitter served by the Grandad of one of my mates, Barry Kirby who lived further down Stanley St. My Grandma live a couple of houses further up Stanley St.
Not sure if you have this on your map.
Ken
kenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-07-2017, 20:22   #212
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenn View Post
Great map with wonderful memories. Thank you.
I had my first ever pint at 15 years old in the Stanley Arms at the corner of Stanley St and Washington....staggering distance from the Dyers and Finishers WMC. We paid 1s and 5p for bitter served by the Grandad of one of my mates, Barry Kirby who lived further down Stanley St. My Grandma live a couple of houses further up Stanley St.
Not sure if you have this on your map.
Ken
Which map are you referring to, Kednn ?

I have come across an 1845 reference to the New Inn, Blackburn Rd
Where was this >
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 19:00   #213
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Which brewery owned the Spread Eagle on Blackburn Rd ? Had it ever been a Thwaites' house ?
Not to my knowledge was a John Smiths house when i was a lad.thats a definate. Plus was still the same when i did the disco yon in my late 30s to early 40s.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:35   #214
Senior Member+

One day, I'll mention a place in Acc where Cashy hasn't worked.
cashman likes this.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:29   #215
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Yeh may manage that Bob, but yeh will struggle to mention one i aint supped in. By the way Isobelle @ Jack had the Spread early 60s.
Old 03-07-2017, 15:28   #216
Full Member+

Quote:
Don't think you will Bob, on most of the sites that I look at, and Cashy has been on quite a lot of those saying he worked at this place or that place, by my reckoning he will be about 150 years old. Unless he only stayed for a short time at each job.
Bob Dobson likes this.
ferret man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:47   #217
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret man View Post
Don't think you will Bob, on most of the sites that I look at, and Cashy has been on quite a lot of those saying he worked at this place or that place, by my reckoning he will be about 150 years old. Unless he only stayed for a short time at each job.
Well i did start at 2 firms on the same day way back.
Bob Dobson likes this.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:22   #218
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Well i did start at 2 firms on the same day way back.
You could do that in the good old days
cashman likes this.
ferret man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 19:48   #219
Senior Member+

Quote:
Which brewery owned the Spread Eagle on Blackburn Rd ? Had it ever been a Thwaites' house ?
I ask the same question about the Spread Eagle at West End, close by Spread Eagle Street - which brewery owned it ?
Old 09-03-2018, 15:03   #220
Senior Member+

Altham has long been regarded as a suburb of Accrington, even though it was in Burnley Rural District Council area until 1974, It is unlikely that The Walton Arms has been mentioned on here before.

I have long wondered why the pub is so called. Today I found out. I was reading an 1844 gazetteer of the county, and Altham's entry tells that the place has 349 inhabitants and the church of St James is a perpetual curacy with an income of £117, its patron being Mr RTW Walton, Esq. What do we know about him ?
Old 09-03-2018, 17:18   #221

Richard Thomas Wroe Walton is mentioned in the British History website. He died unmarried in 1845.
Townships: Altham | British History Online

Mark
Bob Dobson likes this.
Mark2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 06:32   #222
Full Member+

I have added The Walton Arms and also added another venue, dear to many of our hearts, Martholme Grange. If you think of any more, please let me know.

http://www.studiosoft.co.uk

Family History - Can you help to fill in the gaps? - http://www.hodgkinsonclark.co.uk
Hodgkinson, Clark, Baxter, Gardner, Spilman, Ward, Lofthouse, Fowler, Westwell
Morecambe Ex Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 07:00   #223
Full Member+

I have also added a picture of The Crown on Whalley Road from back in the 1930s when a member of our family, Henry Docksey, was Landlord, he took over from Charles Cooper.
Docko 85 likes this.

http://www.studiosoft.co.uk

Family History - Can you help to fill in the gaps? - http://www.hodgkinsonclark.co.uk
Hodgkinson, Clark, Baxter, Gardner, Spilman, Ward, Lofthouse, Fowler, Westwell
Morecambe Ex Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 19:30   #224
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark2009 View Post
Richard Thomas Wroe Walton is mentioned in the British History website. He died unmarried in 1845.
Townships: Altham | British History Online

Mark
Mr Walton was a great benefactor to the parish and its poor, as were his sisters after his death. He is buried in Altham His funeral was attended by hundreds. He lived in Marsden Hall, Nelson and owned land in Altham. His father was a vicar. The family was linked through marriage to the Banastres of Barrowford.
Old 12-03-2018, 14:09   #225
I am Banned

Smile Re: The Pubs of Accrington

Just spent ages reading thro this old thread, and it brings up a question or two or three, one I asked Dobbo years ago, the Railway pub on Blackburn Rd facing Eagle St was in existance before the railways came to Acc in the middle 1840's, What was its name, don't think Dobbo came up with the answer.
Donkeys years ago when I was indexing parish registrs and the local census returns, I started to create a list of all the names of Yards, Courts, Terraces. Ginnals, Back streets, Pubs, Clubs and ale houses, by that I mean any premisis that sold Camel Pee and needed a licence, I think Doobo borrowed it once fur summat, not sure where it is now appen int library. Final question mainly for Cashy how many Atlantic Oceans have you drank an peed during your life. I can just imagine when they put you in your final resting place, you'l have a pint glass in each hand, and your coffin lined with bottles of your favourite tipple. Just a pity coffin lid won't be big enough to have the names of all your drinking holes on it. Long may ye drink yu owd swigger.

Last edited by Retlaw; 12-03-2018 at 14:15.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
closed pubs, public houses, pubs

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..